xisto Community
Elegost

Be Your Own Webhost

Does anyone know of a free web site control panel (kind of like cPanel and DirectAdmin)? I'd like to try it, see what's out there as far as this goes.

This sounds like a great idea but you said in order for the site to work always the computer must be on. If the PC was on 24/7 which I will doupt after 1 week it will work you would have to pay couple hundred for power bill :lol: You can just use that money to get a web host online :)

My computer is always oon anyways. Its not even that bad with this beast. With an old computer, it wouldnt take much electricity to run it since you would probably have a lower processor and stuff.

if you host your own site, and it's not a 1,000 uniques a day site, then you can just host it on the computer that it's on. It doesn't slow anything down by much. For windows users, abyss webserver is easy to use and very small (not even a mb i think). Google it!

Does anyone know of a free web site control panel (kind of like cPanel and DirectAdmin)? I'd like to try it, see what's out there as far as this goes.

204998[/snapback]

Personally, I use Webmin and Virtualmin (Google them). It is a fairly simple system, but quite powerful.

LOL, I could have used this tutorial a year ago. I had to figger all this stuff out myself. But it works great, and I host my personal site, as well as several forums on my 512Kb uplink connection. I have maybe 20 users on at once, and it hasn't caused any bandwidth problems. (This depends on your site though, if it's graphics-heavy there will be much higher bandwidth consumption.)

I first started with Abyss on a Windows system, but later I compiled some spare parts into a 1 GHZ system with 512MB ram and a 40 gig hard drive. I run Fedora Core 4 on it, which has proven to be very easy, as it comes with all the servers allready configured. As far as the IP goes, I use freedns.afraid.org, which offers a free dynamic IP service. My ISP charges $20 a month for 1 static IP, which is the same as the internet access!

I think No-IP lets you do that!

206846[/snapback]

With most of the programs, you use the computers IP adress as the URL for your website. And yes I would recomend No-IP. They take your IP and redirect it to your domain (you can either use yours, one of theirs, or register one). Its free also.

http://www.noip.com/

Finally, my old computer will become of use again...

Also, http://www.noip.com/ offers a great DNS that supports dynamic IPs. How it works, is that it installs some small software on your computer, that monitors your IP. When your IP changes, it informs the server, so that your URL will be propergated to the new IP. I never tried making a server with a computer because of the fact that I simply can't keep a computer on 24/7. Xerver is also a good program, and you can install php from http://php.net/ and mysql from who knows where, but you can install it. I just prefer getting hosted, because it saves the hastle and saves electricity B)

204523[/snapback]

I wanted to try this out and i installed the stuff and i click for example connect to filezilla ftp server and it wont connect can some 1 help me?

This topic is not really going anywhere. Ihat people want to host their own Web sites, but it's not a beginner thing. Getting a static IP and good upsteam bandwidth is expensive, and the security risks for an out of the blue machine can be endless.Note: This is just my two cents on this. Don't take it personally. I don't mean to hurt anybody's feelings.

This topic is not really going anywhere. Ihat people want to host their own Web sites, but it's not a beginner thing. Getting a static IP and good upsteam bandwidth is expensive, and the security risks for an out of the blue machine can be endless.

Note: This is just my two cents on this. Don't take it personally. I don't mean to hurt anybody's feelings.

207057[/snapback]

Hey smart 1 i got a T1 connection and u know i wouldnt go running your mouth about other peeps and doing stuff when u dont know their capablities im a pc tech ajust getting into networking and already know alot i mean i guarantee u put me to the test on a pc tech and web design exam i wamp most peeps u shouldnt be so quick to judge bro B)

Hi, I've wondered about something, and I found this thread... I've installed Apache, PHP and MySQL (with phpMyAdmin) on my computer. However, the router has a firewall or something that doesn't allow access to my computer.So, if someone types my IP, my pages located on localhost should normally show, but that doesn't work now. Do anyone know what to do?At the moment I only use my local server for testing etc.