xisto Community
Elegost

Be Your Own Webhost

I believe the port should be 80, 8080 and all other forms of that port, this port is normaly open for outgoing traffic, however the outgoing traffic open it for a retun response, you will need do something known as port forwarding. Or if the server is by itself you can tell your firewall to ignore that computer but this presents security risks.

Good Tutorial. Just one question is it possible to make your website stay running even when your computer is turned off. Is there anyway to make your site to stay up even when the computer is off. Any suggestions on routers? Is linksys a good 1?

Good Tutorial. Just one question is it possible to make your website stay running even when your computer is turned off. Is there anyway to make your site to stay up even when the computer is off.

Any suggestions on routers? Is linksys a good 1?

207443[/snapback]

No unfortunaltly there is no way you can keep it running wit your compuetr off. The computer must be on, and connected to the internet for it to work. As for routers, any one should work. I have A D-Link router and ive never had any problems with it.

**NOTE***

This turorial is not meant to "Put Down" Xisto and its amazing free webhosting. This is meant to me a fun "Weekend" sort of project. Any either way, any webhost you make can never be as relaible as Xisto ;)

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN WEBSERVER

In this tutorial you will learn how to make your own web server using an old computer.

What you will need:

1. An old computer (Or a new one, your choice"

2. Network adapter (If the computer doesnt already have one installed)

3. Network Cable

4. Router (to connect computer to web)

5. Software (See below to download...)

6. RAM Upgrade

Heres how:

1. You will need a computer with atleast 115mb or ram (The more the marrier!) If needed, install the networking card, so it can be connected to the internet. If needed, install the RAM upgrade, so the computer will be faster.

2. Connect it to the internet either through a router, or directly to your modem.

3. Boot up the computer, and open your browser. Now heres where youve got some options. There are many different programs that will turn your computer into a webhost. One of my favorites is Netserver. This is only for Windows PS's though. Another one you could try is AppServ. I have never tried this one, but ive heard its good. Another one who supports Linux is XAMPP. Again I have never tried it. All of these programs support PHP and MySQL.

4. Once you have decided which program is suitable for you, on your machine, go to their website and download their client, and install the program.

5. If you have a firewall, i would suggest removing it, other wise it may block people from acessing the computer to get the website, so no one would be able to get to your website.

6.  And your done! With most programs, the computers IP adress becomes the URL.

In order to be able to get to your website, the machine you are using must be connected to the web 24/7, and be turned on, other vise users will simply we shut out.

If you need any help, please post below, and we will see what we can do for you ;)

Enjoy,

Elegost

204102[/snapback]

Sounds Kind of complicated, but hey once i leanr a little more ill be sure to check this out.

**NOTE***

This turorial is not meant to "Put Down" Xisto and its amazing free webhosting. This is meant to me a fun "Weekend" sort of project. Any either way, any webhost you make can never be as relaible as Xisto ;)

In this tutorial you will learn how to make your own web server using an old computer.

What you will need:

3. Network Cable

6. RAM Upgrade

Heres how:

1. You will need a computer with atleast 115mb or ram (The more the marrier!) If needed, install the networking card, so it can be connected to the internet. If needed, install the RAM upgrade, so the computer will be faster.

2. Connect it to the internet either through a router, or directly to your modem.

3. Boot up the computer, and open your browser. Now heres where youve got some options. There are many different programs that will turn your computer into a webhost. One of my favorites is Netserver. This is only for Windows PS's though. Another one you could try is AppServ. I have never tried this one, but ive heard its good. Another one who supports Linux is XAMPP. Again I have never tried it. All of these programs support PHP and MySQL.

4. Once you have decided which program is suitable for you, on your machine, go to their website and download their client, and install the program.

5. If you have a firewall, i would suggest removing it, other wise it may block people from acessing the computer to get the website, so no one would be able to get to your website.

In order to be able to get to your website, the machine you are using must be connected to the web 24/7, and be turned on, other vise users will simply we shut out.

If you need any help, please post below, and we will see what we can do for you ;)

Enjoy,

Elegost

204102[/snapback]

or you cou7ld just bey a reseller account,dedicated server,or VPS server (virtual pivite)

and then jutsupload your site and there you go you ar then your own web host

and anyway if you use one of your computers your would need about 5gig ram

500gig raid harddisks nd amazing security

and a 100mbps connection to the internet

I prefer to have my own webhosting business in a remote computer. there are already plenty of affordable reseller accounts for webhosting, which cost varries depending on the amount that you want. This will lessen your worries about server errors and maintainance. you don even have to worry if you do not have an airconditioning unit at your home, and electricity bill will never be much problem because you do not have to have your computer or computers turned on all the time. You will just need to check your emails for inquiries and some customer's and clients messages. No complicated server upgrades and server maintenance.

Does bandwidth have anything to do with hosting ur self?
and does the server still run if say my computers on but asleep?

Bandwidth will be a problem if your ISP has a bandwidth regulation, many don't have an explicit limit but will cut off your service if you use too much, other will limit you to as little as 5gb per month. As for the sleeping, it depends how asleep, just the screen off, YES, HDD off NO, but the happy medium will depend on the type of computer and how deep a sleep.

THANKS

**NOTE***

What you will need:

3. Network Cable

6. RAM Upgrade

Heres how:

Enjoy,

Elegost

204102[/snapback]

Does anyone know of a free web site control panel (kind of like cPanel and DirectAdmin)? I'd like to try it, see what's out there as far as this goes.

204998[/snapback]

I know about three of them.

You can find them at the following sites:

1. webadmin (http://www.webmin.com/)

2. web-cp (http://www.web-cp.net/)

3. gpl.host (http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc.html)