xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Plenoptic

New Template Needs work

Well it needs work and I am going to fix it up tomorrow. I might change all of the colors and I think I need a new background color. I am not so shour about the shape of the content boxes. Well anyway, please help me out on what I can improve on.

Posted Image

For areas of content, gradients that extend from top to bottom shouldnt be used, unless you plan on using DIVs with scrolling ability. Also, it's better to use gradients that start from the left and end to the right, and vice versa. That green used for the top and bottom parts of the boxes doesnt match with the blue colors. The blue in the banner, doesnt match with the blue of the rest of the layout. The words "top sites" isnt centered properly.

I recommend to change the bleu background color in the boxes, in one color, and not a color from dark to light. Just chose a plane color. For new visitors that enter your site for the first time, it is also not very easy to read the (small) white letters in the green background.

I don't think there should be green in this layout. It doesn't match much probably because of the gradients and the flat header you have. Plusall the colours don't match the header.. maybe you should try using the drop tool thingie.. to get the right colours. And the menu fonts doesn't match the style of the layout nor the links at the top. It's a good try though i can assure you when you make about 10 of these.. you'll defo get the hang of it.. No affence that this sounds REALLY sexist.. but not a lot of guys get the whole "colour matching" thing right.. so it's not you.. .. don't hit me..

Personally i like the way the layout is..the Blue and Green go together well...im not trying to contradict any of the above replys...but i feel as if blue and green give a nice calming effect.it is really well done...they only thing bad about i would say is its current header thing that says..Phenoptic Design, i really dont think it goes well with the rest of the layout..i would probably try and match the header similar to the bit below it..with all the bubbly rings..but dude the rest of the layout is awsome man :) congradulations and good luck on finihsing the rest of the site !!

It really reminds me of the Windows XP start bar: the lime green and the fading blue background. The title banner is in an entirely different style to the rest of the site. The main area os clean and smooth yet the banner is busy and random, and an entirely different shade of blue. The two look like they were made separately and then put together as a last thought.The titles for Top Sites etc are in a different font to the link bar at the top and different again to the banner. One main font generally works better.The grey background also doesn't go. Replace it with a blue to match the rest of the site.Sorry if that sounds a bit too harsh, but generally the truth is better :)

Well I took to some of your suggestions. The banner is still messed up and I am still using most of the same colors. I tried using lighter shades of blue instead of the green but I just didn't like the looks of it. Maybe I should try a whole new set of colors all together.

Posted Image

Well I took to some of your suggestions.  The banner is still messed up and I am still using most of the same colors.  I tried using lighter shades of blue instead of the green but I just didn't like the looks of it.  Maybe I should try a whole new set of colors all together. 

Posted Image

204202[/snapback]

.. yes yes YES!! A LOT better.. the header matches fine XD and it looks wicked.. I'm still not too sure on the fonts.. but it's your layout so do what you want, lols!

I like this much better than the first one. The colors work with each other now. Before it was a bit hard on the eyes.What did you use to create it if I may ask?

I like this much better than the first one. The colors work with each other now. Before it was a bit hard on the eyes.
What did you use to create it if I may ask?

I used photoshop. Took me about 30 minutes to make and 10 minutes to edit. lol

It's very bright but eye-catching. The choices of colors are not to my liking, but that's a personal thing. I think you need to be uniform with your choice of fonts, the change of font style for the sub-sections doesn't look right. The text in the sub-sections could also benefit with a solid 1 pixel drop shadow to give them an engraved look.As I said, I don't like the color choice but the layout is still good. :)By the way, what are the clover and oval things in the blue section below the header?

the light blue and green makes it almost crayola looking, you might want to try darking the shades and making sure the banner matches your colors, currently, it looks nothing like the actual site, so it kind of jars the eyes going down from the banner to the content. also, the top and bottom of the content boxes dont exactly fit onto the tables, you might want to check that out :lol: . good effort though, keep it up!

Thanks for all the comments. I will keep all of this in mind. I might edit it some and reproduce to you guys the new template. Maybe I will put this one away for awhile and make a whole new one. I don't know. We'll see what happens when there is more time in the day.

By the way, what are the clover and oval things in the blue section below the header?

That is just some cutting I did to add something there.