xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LocalSeer

Rts(real Time Strategy) Vs Tbs(turn Based Strateg) Which do you prefer and why?

Do you prefer rts or tbs?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I used to play Empire back in the day when it was the strategy game of choice. Turn-by-turn hotseat war with hundreds of units and hundreds if not thousands of turns... where games never ended or would take months to finish. ;) (It was awesome when you told an infantry unit to go somewhere, and after a few dozen turns later, don't remember why you sent it there in the first place.)I think that both genres are pretty good. With turn-based, you have the luxury of time and can actually enjoy a game that can get pretty complex and actually requires a ton of thought, if you like being an armchair general. However, I prefer real-time strategies, just because it's real-time, more realistic in terms of having to make quick decisions and conjure quick strategies to defeat your enemies... it definitely keeps you on your feet, and it's ultimately more satisfying seeing the mayhem on the battlefield than it is to see placeholders disappear and territories turn into your color or have your flag. Another thing is that I think you leave more to chance with a turn-based game than you do with a real-time strategy. With turn-based, the odds are thrown in and an outcome is determined with numbers. With real-time, YOU decide how the battle turns with the resources you have on hand. Think about the various wars we've had. There were some great leaders that SLAUGHTERED armies with mere units and good, quick thinking, but if you pitted one army against another like they did in the Revolutionary War in the U.S., of course the cannons and sheer number of soldiers would win.

War isn't neccessarily all about winning with a good strong army and weapons. It isn't about who gets the most tanks and who gets the most warshisps. It is about thinking quick, thinking fast, and thinking intelligently, making good decisions on your feet.I have once read a book on thinking quickly, where short moments of your thinking and following your intuition actually gives your better results than logical planning, taking your time to decide with logical thinking, and making out a list of Pros and Cons for your decision. In that book, it also gave me a case study of a American War General, the blue team, put into a real life stimulation of war with the Technological people, the red team.The Blue team had nothing, not technology, no nothing, only primitive resources and would talk their plans over the phone and all that. The Red Team had, on the other hand, everything. Tracing devices, top computers that can calculate the odds of where the enemy might go, and all that... As well has nearly a hundred times more tanks, units, army, warships, planes and everything, and while the Blue Team had the most primitive resources, let's say ships and tanks from World War 2, the Red Team had the most advanced technology available to them.And guess who won? The Blue Team.Why use mobile phones when the Red team can track their messages and work out their plans?Well, how are they communicate if they lose their one and only way of communicating with their units though?Did everyone forget World War 1? People RAN from one another, they sent messages. And this was how The Blue Team won. The Blue Team also took risks that the Red Team would never think they would...It surprised the US Army Base. The Blue Team managed to sink two ships, and the Red Team didn't even know what was happening, as the Blue team kept the element of surprise with them... The Red Team lost over 400 units of nurses and soldiers, and the Blue Team lost none.And THIS is war...Not those games that try to replicate what war is and all that...

I prefer RTS because it's faster and usually more pressuring to play

Exactly gaming is all about that. The right decisions made in time and all that adventure that is in it. RTS are far more better. It resembles real life , we dont pause it think about it that what we will do next but we actually do it on our intuition and skill. Thats what it is all about. Life is Gaming

I actually loves game. Every genre.Well if i have tho choose between RTS and Turn based strategy,,I personally prefer turn based strategy. There's some reason:1. Turn based strategy let us think more relaxed. I'm not fast thinker, and doesn't have fast reaction, so TBS more suited for me.2. TBS games seems good even with my onboard vga.(I dont have more money to buy new VGA.... :P ).This is only my perspective. And i don't mean RTS game bad. I like some RTS though..like Red alert, Warcraft, Starcraft...*I personally loves Total War series(I never played after Medieval 2, coz of its bleeding edge graphics). It combines TBS with RTS. And it feels great :P * My VGA seems troubled. When i play warcraft, sometimes My PC restarted itself in the middle of the game, unexpected. And when I played Red Alert 3 and uprising, the games closed with an error, and again unexpected. I don't know why.... :D

I personally always preferred Turned based strategies, maybe that I started from and played much more of TBS games, as I started playing with Amiga 500, and Amiga 1200 there were lots of TBS games, they are in fact easier to make and takes less resources, I spend a lot of time playing them, you know games like UFO Enemy Unknown? and that kind of style games, like Blade, Hilt-2, Laser squad, Sabre team and etc. It's a game type where you have action points, energy and move and shot at enemy, end your move and enemy moves and until you win.. :P can't forget Civilization, I spend a lot of time playing freeciv and colonization :DBut I can say that I played a lot of RTS games too, like Settlers and Warcraft, Dune 2 if talking about old games, as I always even know prefer old games or I really like to try out remakes of old games. :PEven though, I guess I spend more time on point and lick adventure/quest games rather than strategies (Monkey Island, Simon the Sorcerer, Benaeth the steel sky anyone?). :D

A clicking contest? Hah, I've never heard that one before. If they were merely a clicking contest, maybe I'd be better at them. Regardless of my... Lack of prowess in the RTS genre... I prefer them over turn based. If I want to play a TBS, I'll invite some friends over and play Risk. (And I don't do that very often, if ever. :) ) Real Time Strategies require planning; who does what, which building goes where, do you build up your defense or strike the foe while the iron is hot? I find that on the whole, RTSes tend to involve more strategy than these RPG-Strategy hybrid TBSes. Just my opinion of it.

I personally never liked turn based games. I started out with the age of empires series and have loved it ever since. I made several attemptes to try civilization as well as Total war games but I just didnt like them. I love strategy games which really make you think and I also play chess but turn based games just seem boring to me. I prefer the ease of movement and real time control over the army that i get with games like age of empires or startcraft. Theres just something satisfying about seeing my cavalry barrel into my enemy's flank while he's dealing with my diversionary troops. Also RTS's allow players with real talent and quick thinking to shine. For example If i attack my enemy who carelessly leaves a weak spot unprotected. I dont want to attack then have to wait for his turn allowing him to draw out the battle whereas if this was a RTS i would have annhialated most of his army already.