xisto Community
Cain

How Do I Install Phpbb Forum? Please list out...

Hey, guys. Well recently the website that had previously hosted my phpBB forum went down and I decided to look for alternatives for my forum hosting. I realized that both http://forums.xisto.com/ had it and the host that my friend has. I have searched through the many topics and posts on this forum and I still do not entirely understand the installation process of a phpBB forum. Both the Xisto.com account and my friend's account have Fantastico, Script Libraries and phpBB Bulletin buttons in the CPanel. I have attempted several times to go directly to one of these and try an install, however, each time it has failed. I now realize that I needed to add a MySQL database for the forums (something I thought the Fantastico was doing for me), however, I still do not know how exactly the names of the database and forum should relate to one another. So if someone would be so kind as to list off exactly what I would have to do to successfully install a phpBB forum using Fantastico or the script libraray, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

To begin with, I'd like to remind you that the Forum should be in a top - level Directory. If it is in a lower level, I don't think it will install.

So go to your cpanel,

select fantastico,

select phpbb2 from the drop-down menu,

select go,

select New Installation,

enter the directory you wish to use ie: "forum" (no quotes),

fill out the Admin details, email address and signature, etc,

select to "install phpbb" and Voila... there it is...

Your access to it will be "your_trap_id.trap17.com/forum/" (no quotes) if you choose "forum" as the sub-directory name.

Sign in as the admin to activate the forum. There are a few things to do, like set the time zone, allow bbcode or html (not reccomended), set sign -in procedure, etc. Not rocket science, just follow down the configuration page then submit the changes. You should be up and running in no more than 10 minutes if you follow these instructions.

Post back here to let us know how you made out.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, there should be a slash after the "forum", so the link should be:

"your_trap_id.trap17.com/forum/" <-- note the following slash character...

sorry about that...

Mods, pls edit these two posts and correct when you have some free time, thanks...

Hey, that slash is gone... where did it go???

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Edited as reported. Merging 3 posts.

I tried doing this with my http://forums.xisto.com/account, but it told me that I was about 3 MB short in disk space so I tried it with my friend's account; he has about 475 MB left of disk space so there will not be a problem there. Just as you told me, I went to CPanel, Fantastico, phpBB2, filled out the info and used forum as my directory. After completing all the required fields, I pushed install. The Fantastico said everything was configured and gave me the URL (which was similar to the one you showed me). When I clicked it, however, it said the page did not exist... This is the same problem I had been having before. When I click the link ( af-squad.com/forum/ ), I receive the following:

The requested page could not be found.

Page not found - /forum/

It also gave me a direct link to the Admin area which gives me the same error. I appreciate all the help you are giving me; I know this takes time.

you searched so many posts and topics but not find how to install it just because it's too simple,too easy,that no one may ask the question like that.

if you don't know much how to install a script,why you read the instruction on it's install file?

this is the phpbb 2.0.18 full package

https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpbb/files/

this is the install instruction:

https://www.phpbb.com/support/documents.php?mode=install

1. Quick Install

If you have basic knowledge of using FTP and are sure your hosting service or server will run phpBB 2 you can use these steps to quickly get started. For a more detailed explanation you should skip this and go to section 2 below.

Decompress the phpBB 2 archive to a local directory on your system.

Upload all the files contained in this archive (retaining the directory structure) to a web accessible directory on your server or hosting account.

Change the permissions on config.php to be writeable by all (666 or -rw-rw-rw- within your FTP Client)

Using your web browser visit the location you placed phpBB 2 with the addition of install/install.php, e.g. http://myDomain.com/phpBB2/install/install.php, http://myDomain.com/forum/install/install.php etc.

Fill out all the requested information and hit Submit

Change the permissions on config.php to be writeable only by yourself (644 or -rw-r--r-- within your FTP Client)

Click the Complete Installation button or revisit the location you entered above.

phpBB 2 should now be available, please MAKE SURE you read at least Section 8 below for important, security related post-installation instructions.

If you experienced problems or do not know how to proceed with any of the steps above please read the rest of this document.

by your knowledge,the phpbb are so big for you,it's hard for you to install and control.

you can install the usebb (usebb.net) or punbb(punbb.org).

it's my advice for you.

guangdian.

guangdian,There is nothing to download. The files are all in the fantastico at cpanel. Cain, Use the phpbb dot com support forums. Go there, select the "support" button on the top menu and search their forum for help or register and post your request for assistance. This is beyond my helping you. There is something not right about it because I have two forums here and both of them went flawlessly on install. Both are phpbb, too, so I'm lost for what to tell you. Sorry it didn't work.

Cain,

Like jlhaslip, I have two instances of the phpbb forums running, as it were, without any trouble, and I am pretty sure that I had installed them from the phpbb installer that came with cpanel. Now, however, when I try installing a new instance of phpbb, I end up with an error. I try upgrading one of the older isntances, and the upgrade script does not run. I know this is perhaps of no help to you, but I think it is (remotely, albeit) possible that the installer that comes with the cpanel is not working as well as it should. Maybe I am missing something completely - sorry if I am.

[On a side note - for those who are interested, this is what doing an upgrade gives me:

We are upgrading in /home/ideaz/public_html/forums... Upgrade script is missing. Upgrade failed, you may have reached your disk quota!

The disk quota problem is highly unlikely, because I am sure I have more than 75 mb left, which should me quite enough!]

I think it's fair to ask at this point - who here has managed a successfull install of phpbb 2.0.17 with the cpanel installer?

If you have the time, you could try going here and doing a completely manual installation. I beg to differ from guangdian in that I do not think installing phpbb from the tar/zip files that you get on the website is a matter of how knowlegdeable you are, it is only a matter of having the time to do it. If you need help on a manual install, I am sure we can see you through it. Or perhaps you could just wait till the cpanel installer works better...

Cheers, and good luck :P

Once you download the zip package, im pretty sure its as simple as uploading your phpbb forum to the forum directory of your website. Then you have to find the install.php or something like that and run it remotely from a computer connected to the internet.Xadoflitan