xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
michaelper22

Hybrid Buses In Nyc

After really enjoying their first shipment, MTA NYCT (New York City Transit) has ordered 500 more Orion VII HEV buses. This exciting new technology saves money, gas, and helps prevent polution (the main selling point of the buses, as indicated by the bold and blue labeling a the top of each bus, "CLEAN AIR HYBRID ELECTRIC BUS"). The hybrid populsion system was designed by BAE Systems, a maker of technologies used in space (I think). The HybriDrive? system works as follows:

1) To start acceleration, the HybriDrive Controller directs the engine to run the HybriDrive Generator (the engine running at a constant speed, preventing excess air polution).

2) The Generator produces electricity that powers the HybriDrive Traction Motor and charges the battery (for on demand acceleration).

3) The Traction Motor drives the differential, propelling the vehicle.

4) During braking, the Traction Motor is used as a generator, effectively recharging the battery (this is the gas and money saving part, since the brakes are used less they do not waer as fast and the captured energy is used for acceleration).

New York City has been, in my view, the fastest adapting city when it comes to serving the mass transit system with environment friendly method. I remember about 15 years ago that NYC was the first city to employ methane fueled bus even before California or Florida considered such action. And I have to say that NYC has the best metro transportation system that beats Irvine, San Francisco and Miami all combined.I am pleased to see that NYC is once again leading the trend on Earth-friendly transportation methods.

Its great to see that cleaner vehicles are being used more widely in public transport and by the government. They need to be setting an example to everyone else, so this should encourage people to think about cleaner cars and other ways to be green.

I think this is a great move for New York. It's something that other large cities should be doing. However, it's unfortunate that more people don't use the bus, the world would be cleaner and the streets less congested.

That is a cool invention. I hope it will reach to other buses and school buses too. Its just a wonderful invention to make our environment a little better. Everytime I see a bus go by me I smell the awful smoke left behind and I just try to not breathe. I would like to be able to breathe on the streets. Its my freedom. I want to protect it. lol. But that is neat. I bet it cost alot too. But New York can afford it. They have lots of money.

That is a cool invention.

Technically, it's not an invention; it is instead a combination of many other innovative inventions. For example, the generator braking and hybrid engine are both seperate inventions, but this may be one of the first cases of them being used in conjunction with each other.

New York City has been, in my view, the fastest adapting city when it comes to serving the mass transit system with environment friendly method.

Do they really have a choice? Considering how NYC is the largest urban area in the United States, if they didn't use top-of-the-line mass transit technology/services, they would be even smoggier than Los Angeles.

In terms of pollusion, the hybrid buses really do help. If you are at a stop and an MCI Classic (mostly on express buses) pulls out, you will notice a huge cloud of exhaust. Be prepared to turn around and hold your breath for 10 seconds or you will be coughing like there's no tomorrow.

Ya hybrid buses do do a lot. We started using them last year down hear in florida. They are a helpful way to save the ozone.

My town in England has some of these Buses, just really small ones thoguh to take you from the town centre to a shopping centre about 10 mins away. They're pretty nifty though, and much nicer than the normal buses they have. I saw on TV the other day they're making bigger ones for london too, so in a few years we might get them up here:)

This is one technology that would be great to have in any transport system in every country, however reading the description, this seems to be an expensive one and not all tranport companies will be happy to spend much money on not so mature technologies, if it's for the good of environment and people I am all for it.Thanks for the information