xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wariorpk

What Is Xhtml What Is It And Why Use It?

haha I'm not demanding anything, i just said what "I'll have to do", but "I" references to me.I do support my original statement, I support both, just telling my part of the story, I believe in both arguments, can't we believe in several stuff at the same time? They are not opossed, just complement each other, in some ways.

Calm down guys. I just think that XHTML will help solve the browser wars (especially if the <object> tag will end up being deprecated). Who cares if it ain't that great? Those who want to spend the time can use, everyone else can whatever the heck they want their pages.

Also, Mambo/Joomla uses XHTML. It's like a new standard. I mean it's like every one uses Win XP now when they used Win 98 before. Why? because everyone uses it, and it's a trend. Even if the computer is slow, everyone(well, the nontechy) wants the name "Windows XP" in their computer and installs it and turns of the visual effect and still uses it even if it's very slow.A better example would be Win98/WinMe though

I have a simple question. If the main thrust of xhtml is to promote cross browser functionality, does xhtml display correctly on all the current browsers available today? As I have mentioned in another thread, using CSS for formatting as I understand is required with xhtml, but even CSS has different attributes for different browsers. Does this mean CSS will also be changed to a "standard" so it displays the same on all browsers?Xhtml and CSS might be the "in thing" at the moment, but even they have cross browser problems.

CSS has different attributes for different browsers

No, CSS has the same attributes for all browsers. It's how much different browsers adhere to the letter of the W3C standards that affects how your sites display.
And to answer your question, yes XHTML does display correctly in all browsers if you code correctly.

How will people serve up Flash content without the <object> tag?

210697[/snapback]

I'm guessing that the <embed> tag still exists (I'll look it up on http://www.w3schools.com/) in XHTML. As far as I know, it's a cross-browser tag. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, CSS has the same attributes for all browsers.

214737[/snapback]

There are special css for IE and for Mozilla, try google for changing the color of the scroll bar (only for IE).

For example:

moz-border-radius is a CSS property only for Mozilla.

scrollbar-face-color is a CSS property only for IE.

I believe there must be more, for other browsers yet i ignore it.

There are special css for IE and for Mozilla, try google for changing the color of the scroll bar (only for IE).

That's CSS properties. The attributes are the things that relate to the properties. I meant that if you have a property common to all browsers, it has the same attributes - it doesn't have different attributes depending on what browser you're using.

If an attribute depends on the property, and there are special properties for different browsers, then obviously you will have special attributes right?I don't really understand what you are trying to say... the fact is that you can not use the scrollbar-face-color propertie to change the color of the scrollbar in firefox, so I think that the point is whether or not CSS will become totally cross browser standard, which I believe it already ALMOST is...So the main issue will be with the browsers, so that they show up things as they were intended to be based on w3c standards...

XHTML is something that I hate using, however it's growing to become more popular than HTML...all tags must be lowercase, you must end all tags, even breaks. In short, learn HTML before you learn XHTML.

Xhtml is very similar to html. The biggest differences in terms of using it are :

1) requires a different Document Tpe Declaration at the start of the file.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN""http://www.w3.org/tr/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-strict.dtd;
2) all tags need to be closed. Even single tags use a "/" to close the tag.

<br />

3) all tags must be lower case.

<TITLE> is not acceptable, but <title> is.

4) less forgiving. It assumes nothing. In html, you can forget an end tag. Not in Xhtml.

There are other differences, but these are the main issues you will run into as you adapt to the differences...

For a more complete description, look

here at the w3schools web site.

Good luck with it.... it is easier than it looks if you already have an Html background.

200480[/snapback]