xisto Community
iwuvcookies

Google Desktop Search Is Here! its here...

I don't think I'll be a user of this new program by Google. I like the Google toolbar and using it now but I don't know about this one. I don't think there's anything majorly that I can't find on my pc with the search thingy built into XP. Although the chat logging thing is cool. I thought this was gonna be one of those Google invitation things. Lol.......Well what else can they come up with next......?

Well, I have started using it and am very comfortable...lib2day, it took probably overnight to index my 60 GB harddisk with about 40 GB of data..., not really sure, left the PC on... But the search is instantaneous!and i am enjoying it anyways, now!Since I have WinXP, no probs here...

Well, I have started using it and am very comfortable...
lib2day, it took probably overnight to index my 60 GB harddisk with about 40 GB of data..., not really sure, left the PC on...
But the search is instantaneous!
and i am enjoying it anyways, now!

Since I have WinXP, no probs here...

great! :rolleyes: i just have around 10GB of data so my indexing would be 1/4 of your time :angry:

btw, googlue, can it index external data...? let's say i have 50 CDs of data as well.
transferring them to a harddrive would consume a ton of disk space, and i just want
them to stay in CDs.

yeah but cant you use the search tool already in windows? why would you download something else that can just clutter up your system? im not trying to badmouth this but i just think it would be a better idea to just save space on your computer and use the search function already installed.
just my two cents

You have to use to see the difference.
Have you realized that searchig for file in your PC takes a longer time than searching for a file/ info on the Net? Paradox!
This settles the paradox...
Try and if you don't like uninstall...

once you get used to desktop searching, it almost changes how you change the computer. at least it has on mine. however, instead of using google, try Copernic Desktop Search. much much faster and better than google desktop.

Not realy a bad idea to use the google desktop search tool. I aint using my own comp so i dont think I will be downloading it for now. That will be until i get my personal comp.

once you get used to desktop searching, it almost changes how you change the computer.  at least it has on mine. 
however, instead of using google, try Copernic Desktop Search.  much much faster and better than google desktop.

I agrre with you. I tried Copernic too. It seems better :rolleyes:
The greatest advantage you can preview the files withour actually opening them!

About Google, you may want to read this:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Everyone has their view. Remember that the above viewpoint is from an archrival of Google in the desktop search field.

I agrre with you. I tried Copernic too. It seems better :rolleyes:

The greatest advantage you can preview the files withour actually opening them!

About Google, you may want to read this:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Everyone has their view. Remember that the above viewpoint is from an archrival of Google in the desktop search field.

I agree with you too. I checked copernic and found it very good and fast.

Are there no privacy concerns with copernic? is it only google?

Copernic have not integrated their esktop search with their web searches, is a good indication...

The link above reads scary though!

medusa

dude thats crazy google started out so small i rmemember it lol now look at i mean at the stock marketing *BLEEP* its like a HUGE *bottom* thing and lol i dunno wut to say it justs its huge..

i dont understand. what is it? i stand alone search program? or something you open in your internet browser? i dont want to download it now becuase my bandwidth is gone for some reason, but i will check that out sometime soon.

hi,I have been using Google Desktop for quite some time now. Actually it has a huge index of over 1 GB on my PC and searching for files is extremely fast and efficient. Moreover u can set it to switch off indexing for certain folders (where u might have personal data) as well.There have always been privacy concerns for everything from Email to online shopping to whatever.. but that does not stop people from using it.. At least I find it more convenient and useful than harmful.Cheers.

Hi all,I have been using Google Desktop Search since version two came out. It is really nice...integrating maps, google talk, gmail, google news, and a todo list all in a clean sidebar. The whole integration is awesome, but then I can search for files on my computer, that is really nice! :lol:I agree with cse-icons...I find google desktop more convenient and useful than a concern for privacy.Go Google!!!