xisto Community
dogomchawi

Supercooled Light-speed Computers frozen atoms + light= compy @ warp speed

This was inspired by the other guys post about the speed of light.So the new thing is using light waves to do computing =) Of course it isnt really working yet but I thought it was really cool so i figured i would post something here.The basic working thing is that you supercool atoms to within a few degrees of absolute zero. Then you send a beam of light through them - and - viola, a baby can crawl faster than light. What happens is that as the light wave passes through the frozen atoms its speed is dramitcally reduced. So much so that the speed of light goes from 186,000 miles per second to 1 mile per hour! Scientists are able to control how long the light wave is held at the speeds the determine and which direction it goes in afterwards. So imagine your hardrive or something being a mini-freezer that slows light down - does computations - and send its along on its merry little way. Talk about super-computing.They have been able to control a light pulse so much that it seems to fade and then stop, then starts up again whenever its called. The process doesnt involve stopping the actual photons. What happens is that the information about the light wave is rapidly stored in special atoms that are trapped with a glass tube. Then when the light needs to be manipulated the photon information is turned into a replica of the original wave and sent where it needs to go.It taps into the heart of Quantum Mechanics to create the ultimate computer.Einstein argued that light speed was the absolute limit of speed in the universe. So technically if you used a computer that operated at light speed it would be the fastest computer in the universe =)You could play World of Warcraft 24/7 and never have a single stich of lag in IronForge!! WOOT That right there is a reason to get a light-speed compy.What do you guys think?

That's insane.It's mind boggling how much technology has advanced through out the decades, and how interconnected it has become with our lives. For example, I can't live without my cell phone! :) Still the thought of light speed connections seems like an impossible feat.But that kind of attitude doesn't get idea far! :) If you find this interesting, what about all of the humanoids, and 3D television holograms being tested in Japan? That's also a topic to get in touch with! ;)

That's insane.

It's mind boggling how much technology has advanced through out the decades, and how interconnected it has become with our lives. For example, I can't live without my cell phone!  :)

Still the thought of light speed connections seems like an impossible feat.

But that kind of attitude doesn't get idea far!  B)

If you find this interesting, what about all of the humanoids, and 3D television holograms being tested in Japan? That's also a topic to get in touch with!  ;)

196177[/snapback]

Well actually...Fiber Optic networks are "Light speed networks" because they use the light for all transmitions...Of course you have the very slight lag when it transforms data into light beeps and transforms it back again, but that's barely anything.

Whenever I ping someone on my network (Fiber Optic) I get back "0" ping. I'd think there's an error. But there's an error there because it's really fast :)

And...According to my book in physics class, which we just read like a week ago...You can transmit 500mbps on one fiber opic chord. Which does beat those blue 100mbps ethernet cables ;)

The only disadvantage...Is that you need a transformer that turns all of the light into data. Maybe in the future you can just plug in a fiber optic cable, and that process would be done inside of your computer? So it's all light speed until it reaches your computer...Because they usually just put like a transformer for one neighborhood (Or big apartment or something, for me) So you have to share it....Plus you have the lag where it get's transmitted "normally" from the transmitter to you.

Anyway... :)

When it comes to transmitting data through fibre optics it's not so much about how fast you can get data from A to B, it's more about how fast can the light be converted back into signals that can be used by the computer. That is currently our barrier when we are dealing with transmitting speeds.

Isn't there also the problem of the signal fading if it has to travel long distances? I'm sure I remember learning that not all of the light in a fibre optic cable isn't totally internally reflected, but some of it does escape. Although it's probably so minute it's negligable.And the original post about computers working at the speed of light, or at least that's what I understood from the post, seems a bit far fetched. Freezing atoms to nearly absolute zero? That's -273 degrees celcius. I doub't that's very cheap to do so a computer that has a freezer that can go that cold will cost shitloads. It does seem pretty cool though how they've managed to slow light right down. Got a link for where you read this?NB EVE>WoW :lol:

awesome, i read something about this in Discover magazine, if no one has read that its an awesome magazine. soon as Intel or whoever makes first marketed photon CPU, ill sell my house for this baby. well i dont have a house, but ill work slave labor for a year for it, seriously. no more gigahertz anymore, we're talking like exohertz. imagine how fast Word would open up...

Yes, and I bet that all this technology is the reason why computers havent steppedo out of the technology they are in right now, cause as soon as they come up with something almost instantaneously there is another huge advancement that could work better for it with different technology. I wonder how much more time will pass until we have a new generation of computers in the commercial sector. Maybe they will combine everything, (nano, light, those new paper thin screens, etc.) When it does its gonna be really cool though.

That's some great looking stuff. Too bad we have the problem Arigato stated otherwise we would be flying through things. I would like to see light slow down to 1 mph. lol I could race light and whoop it's little butt. Imagine if light did travel at 1mph. When the sun goes behind a cloud you would all of a sudden see a the light getting closer and closer. lol Nifty.

Not exactly, Plenoptic; if the sun went behind a cloud and was moving at 1mph, you wouldn't actually see it go behind the cloud until nearly an hour afterward; our eyes see with light, so, for example, if one would look at a spotlight from a mile away, and the spotlight was then turned on, assuming that the light was moving at 1 mile per hour, you wouldn't actually see the light come on until an hour after it actually did.Selim, yes, the signal in fiber optic wires fades over time (it's impossible to create a 100% pure reflector), so there are amplifiers set up every seven to ten miles (I believe) to boost the signal and avoid data deterioration.This "light" computer certainly sounds like a sight to behold. If this method for storing/indexing/transfer via light was combined with a quantum processing method (using a qubit data system as well as the quantum processing), we could be looking at a computer that could do almost anything we humans could think to ask it to do fast enough that it would seem to happen instantly.

This was inspired by the other guys post about the speed of light.

So the new thing is using light waves to do computing =)

Of course it isnt really working yet but I thought it was really cool so i figured i would post something here.

The basic working thing is that you supercool atoms to within a few degrees of absolute zero. Then you send a beam of light through them - and - viola, a baby can crawl faster than light.

What happens is that as the light wave passes through the frozen atoms its speed is dramitcally reduced. So much so that the speed of light goes from 186,000 miles per second to 1 mile per hour!

Scientists are able to control how long the light wave is held at the speeds the determine and which direction it goes in afterwards. So imagine your hardrive or something being a mini-freezer that slows light down - does computations - and send its along on its merry little way. Talk about super-computing.

They have been able to control a light pulse so much that it seems to fade and then stop, then starts up again whenever its called. The process doesnt involve stopping the actual photons. What happens is that the information about the light wave is rapidly stored in special atoms that are trapped with a glass tube. Then when the light needs to be manipulated the photon information is turned into a replica of the original wave and sent where it needs to go.

It taps into the heart of Quantum Mechanics to create the ultimate computer.

Einstein argued that light speed was the absolute limit of speed in the universe. So technically if you used a computer that operated at light speed it would be the fastest computer in the universe =)

You could play World of Warcraft 24/7 and never have a single stich of lag in IronForge!! WOOT That right there is a reason to get a light-speed compy.

What do you guys think?

196165[/snapback]

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P:):P:(:P:(:o:P:lol: i am stunned i hear about them the first time!!! that the heck but oh my god i was thinking about something like that after 20 years!!! thats a new think .

Thats amazing! I wish I had a computer that operated at light speed...All I have is a crappy Compaq Armada M700. Oh well, its better than nothing. I'm sure some starving kid in Honduras would rather have an Armada. Wow, where am I going with this post?! lol.

lol, english plz. Utterly facinating I would have to say. Wow tecchnology will be very interesting and facinating a couple years from now. :)

This was inspired by the other guys post about the speed of light.

So the new thing is using light waves to do computing =)

Of course it isnt really working yet but I thought it was really cool so i figured i would post something here.

The basic working thing is that you supercool atoms to within a few degrees of absolute zero. Then you send a beam of light through them - and - viola, a baby can crawl faster than light.

What happens is that as the light wave passes through the frozen atoms its speed is dramitcally reduced. So much so that the speed of light goes from 186,000 miles per second to 1 mile per hour!

Scientists are able to control how long the light wave is held at the speeds the determine and which direction it goes in afterwards. So imagine your hardrive or something being a mini-freezer that slows light down - does computations - and send its along on its merry little way. Talk about super-computing.

They have been able to control a light pulse so much that it seems to fade and then stop, then starts up again whenever its called. The process doesnt involve stopping the actual photons. What happens is that the information about the light wave is rapidly stored in special atoms that are trapped with a glass tube. Then when the light needs to be manipulated the photon information is turned into a replica of the original wave and sent where it needs to go.

It taps into the heart of Quantum Mechanics to create the ultimate computer.

Einstein argued that light speed was the absolute limit of speed in the universe. So technically if you used a computer that operated at light speed it would be the fastest computer in the universe =)

You could play World of Warcraft 24/7 and never have a single stich of lag in IronForge!! WOOT That right there is a reason to get a light-speed compy.

What do you guys think?

196165[/snapback]

sounds fun lol but i got one problem i have found lol... the wow 24/7 without lag...

yes this is true only on your end...

your computer will never lag wow but ever think about blizzards end?

there is the network as well the more people on the more the servers are "lagged down" thus making it seem like your lagging...

you can prove this by playing a game on your computer and then playing the same game on a network version of it say diablo2 has an offline and online compatibility...

i never lag offline but once i get online i wont lag but blizzard will thus making me lag

so good try there but the rest seems resonible. lol little confusing tho

I only know of super conductors. Take a ceramic matterial, cool it as close to absolute zero as you can (-273?C) and send a current through it. And look what you have, a piece of wire that has a resistance of zero ohms :)