xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bonniecool

Heard Of Cryonics ? like austin powers

The year is 1967. A British secret agent has been "frozen," awaiting the day when his arch nemesis will return from his own deep freeze to once again threaten the world. That day finally arrives in 1997. The agent is revived after 30 years on ice, and he saves the world from imminent destruction.
You'll probably recognize this scenario from the hit movie, "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery" (1997). Cryonics also shows up in films like "Vanilla Sky" (2001), "Sleeper" (1973) and "2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968). But is it pure Hollywood fiction, or can people really be frozen and then thawed to live on years later?

The science behind the idea does exist. It's called cryogenics -- the study of what happens to materials at really low temperatures. Cryonics -- the technique used to store human bodies at extremely low temperatures with the hope of one day reviving them -- is being performed today, but the technology is still in its infancy.

What do you think guys? could this be successful?
I want to see the world at year 3000.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
This is your second post you copied from another source http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ without using the QUOTE tag. To use,
[QUOTE] insert as is... [/QUOTE]
Warning issued.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

This is likely possible, however I don't think we will be seeing this technology in our lifetime. The current problem with freezing the body is that when ice crystals form they damage the cells of the body. The people that have already been frozen probably won't be comming back. When scientists find a better way to freeze people then maybe it could happen.

But i've seen a Japan Video Topic that at a temperature of 0 to -5 degree celsius living things are preserved. They made an experiment to a flat fish. Its been frozen for days at a 0 to -5 degree celsius...they take the fish and place it in a water after few minutes when the ice are being defost the fish began to move and swim. I think that this is applicable to humans but also i think there's a side effect on it.

Surely there would be problems freezing people. Even if it did work there would be dangerous side effects. Its like going into space, it sounds great at the time, but when it comes down to it, do you really want to risk your life doing it?

Again, copied from http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/genetic/cryonics.htm

Scary thing is that they can FREEZE ONLY YOUR HEAD, and later recreate your body!! Fascinating! Trully amazing. I'm right now imagining the scene with head containers (like those in Alien trylogy). This is possible, but it is not yet possible to unfreeze people, so they continue to live. Human body cant undergo that proccess yet. Predictions say that technology will be available around 2040.

i once heard that they tried to do that before. And after a while, the patients were rotten to dead. But i don't know if i want to leave my reality right now and freezes myself if they had the technology. We dont' know what will happan in the future, maybe something horrible is going to happan. And humans is controll by a more dominate race. Just imagining it, just give the chill.

Wasnt there already a post about this a couple of months ago? Where some dogs where killed or nearly killed but they inserted some liquid to freeze them inside in the blood or something, then they would operate them and heal their wounds bringing them back to life. They also gave examples on how this would help people who got stabbed or shot or any other accident where they could be suspended until they were treated and healed.

I think the technicla term would be cryogenics, at least that what my teacher told me. Anyway, that would be really cool to be able to last until the next century, and see your great-grandkids, or something like that.

they take the fish and place it in a water after few minutes when the ice are being defost the fish began to move and swim

LOL im now imagin all fishes of the world who are defrosting, swimming on the kitchen xDU ok what i think, it's the same as everyone, the technology to frost body's is available but of course that it has their own flaws like the ice crystals, but scientists are still working on a way to reduce the damage to the cells, specially the brain ones, what it's not available now is the technology to bring them back to live, i mean we can defrost them like the fish, but i really doubt that they would come back to life that way, so i dont see the point to frosting a person when you don't even have or never will have the technology to bring him back from his sleep. i wouldn't do it >.<