xisto Community
akshay

Opera Web Browser Buy opera web browser today

Yeah, actually between Opera and Firefox, I'll choose Opera. Simply because it's fastest in loading pages. It gives me the feeling that Opera is sucking data off the server rather than the server feeding information at it's limited bandwidth. Opera is also an all-in-one browser which rules over Firefox, like what Amezis has commented.Opera also has a place for you to write notes. That's a very good tool if you want to copy information from the web for your work or report. Pasting the text in the notes section automatically saves the note. Everytime you add a new text, Opera will automatically saves as a new note. It's so convenient because you basically don't need to save the notes manually.To add on to Amezis's comments, Opera can also resume downloads, while Firefox can't. The new version of Opera also has a text recognition engine. You can ask Opera to read the internet pages to you while you are writing your blog. It's very useful when asking Opera to read news articles, because it seems like a radio.There are also disadvantages about Opera. Many websites are not quite compatitble yet. A very good example was Gmail. In the past, Opera was not supported to use Gmail. Now you can because Gmail implemented the compatibility to Opera. Google Pages now also is not supported by Opera. It simply rejects and request the user to use another browser. In future I'm sure Google will have all their services compatible to Opera. Besides Google, some CSS and javascripts are not quite supported by Opera. Hence some sites cannot be viewed like what you will see in Firefox or Internet Explorer. A very good example is the fading of images using Javascript which Opera cannot render the fading effect. As for CSS, Opera cannot render transparency. I'm quite sure the new version of Opera will be able to do that.

One of the problems with Opera so far has been its somewhat inconsistent interpretation of CSS - sometimes things that have worked in previous versions don't work in the newer ones. I've never really been a fan of the way it resizes pages either, zooming everything and pixellating graphics rather than just increasing the text size.

Opera is simply THE best browser on the market today.

Opera has many features that NO other browser can match, for example, Opera is the fastest browser, and this is factual. Opera was also the first tabbed browser, having introduced tabs back in 1995.

Actually, here is a list of a few good things:

Opera is the most Secure Graphical Web Browser in Windows with 0 unpatched vulnerabilities

Opera was the first browser to include an Integrated Search feature in Opera 5 in 2000

Opera was the first browser to include Pop-up Blocking in Opera 5 in 2000.

Tabbed Browsing has been around a long time. Netcaptor offered Tab Browsing back in 1997. Opera developed it back in 1995 and added it in Opera 4 in 2000. Other Popular Browsers such as Avant Browser and Maxthon also had these features way before Firefox officially arrived in 2004.

Source:

Posted Image

Wow.. Canada Eh895 that Firefox Myths are real. Now we all know Firefox has plenty of Myths.

Here's also a comparison between Firefox and Opera. From here we know why Opera wins.

YES = Feature is Supported

NO = Feature is Not Supported

Ext = Feature is Supported through Extensions

Firefox

YES - Tabs

YES - Pop-up Blocker

YES - Integrated Search

YES - RSS Support

Ext - Mouse Gestures

YES - Download Manager

Ext - Page Zooming

Ext - Safe Recovery

NO - Email Client

NO - Voice Control

NO - BitTorrent Support

Opera

YES - Tabs

YES - Pop-up Blocker

YES - Integrated Search

YES - RSS Support

YES - Mouse Gestures

YES - Download Manager

YES - Page Zooming

YES - Safe Recovery

YES - Email Client

YES - Voice Control

YES - BitTorrent Support

Source from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Thanks to Canada Eh895 for giving us the wonderful link to reveal the Firefox Myth.

Oh yes we always missed out the BitTorrent support from Opera. The new version of Opera includes BitToreent engine. Now an Opera user doesn't require to download another BitTorrent client to download files. Simply, Opera catches all BitTorrent extensions and download it just like a normal file on it's download manager. How sweet. Firefox can never get that done, you will never know if their extensions are secure though. :)

It depends what you want out of a browser - email client, bitTorrent support etc may not feature that highly on some people's wants lists. For me, as a web developer, FF beats Opera because it is more extensible and has a host of extensions that make building and maintaining websites that much easier (WebDev, SearchStatus, Bookmarks Synchroniser, HTML Validator) and it follows the W3C standards more closely and consistently than Opera does too.

I don't quite agree. As a web developer you need to make sure that compatibility fits all browsers. Hence what you've developed using your prefered browser must look alike on other browsers. Otherwise the web developer is not considered professional. Probably you have not read the Firefox Myth that Canada Eh895 has provided the link.

Myth - "Firefox fully supports W3C Standards - Example

Reality - Firefox has incomplete support of many W3C standards including HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.1. - Source

Update - The link here has changed so you get a non-biased view of the Source. The owner of this Source had tried to redirect visitors coming from this site to specially created warning pages.

Myth - "Firefox fully supports the most important W3C Standards" - Example

Reality - The Acid 2 Browser Test is a test page, written to help browser vendors ensure proper support for web standards in their products. Although the Acid2 Browser Test does not test every web standard, it tests the features considered most important for the future of the web. This test clearly shows Firefox does not fully support the most important web standards. - Source

Firefox v1.5 Acid2 Browser Test Results:

Posted Image

Opera v9 Acid2 Browser Test Results:

Posted Image

Myth - "Firefox is completely compatible with every Web Site" - Example

Reality - 10-15% of web sites aren't completely compatible with Firefox. Firefox is not 100% Internet Explorer and ActiveX compatible. Web sites that depend on ActiveX or were only tested in Internet Explorer (which there are many) will only render and work properly in Internet Explorer based browsers. Web site features such as Menus, Web forms or other content may not function or behave differently then intended. While Internet Explorer is completely compatible with 99.99% of all Web Sites. - Source

In a recent study by a UK based web testing firm SciVisum, 1 in 10 UK web sites failed to work properly with Firefox. - Source

So let's say not that Firefox is a fully compatible to web standards, simply because it does not. Somehow this has became like a Firefox Religion that people keep saying great things about Firefox and throw others aside. I'm not a Firefox supporter neither do I an Opera supporter. In fact I use both browsers for web development. I'm just concern about web standards as I'm strict with it. After some years of web development, I've to agree what the webpage from Firefox Myth has stated, through experience. You will know why Opera is a must better browser.

Opera is a powerful Web browser for surfing the Internet indeed....Opera rulz...is better than IExplorer...because he run very quicly...page are downloaded in few seconds....it is good..i have a new version...it`s good

wow, i too love the opera web browser, i love all its features right from tabs to wand to the voice feature, the skins too rule. however Xisto.com's forums things are not fully compatible, for e.g. i cant put the smilies here by clicking on them. And then most sites are not opera friendly , those who rely too much on asp.Microsoft ofcourse makes sure most of its sites are IE compatible only. I reccomend this browser too all, also try firefox.

I don't quite agree. As a web developer you need to make sure that compatibility fits all browsers. Hence what you've developed using your prefered browser must look alike on other browsers. Otherwise the web developer is not considered professional. Probably you have not read the Firefox Myth that Canada Eh895 has provided the link.

I didn't say web developers should only use Firefox. If you read what I wrote properly, I said it has a number of extensions that make the job easier. For me, the WebDev extension by itself makes FF a better development browser than Opera. With the WebDev extension you can:

edit a page's CSS within the browser

view a page with styles, images or javascript turned off

use a different box model

display accesskeys, header info, tab index, block size, div order

outline different elements on the page so you can see how your layout's coming together

validate your CSS & HTML, either remotely or locally, with a keyboard shortcut

validate against WAI and section 508 guidelines

view a speed report

examine a page's DOM tree

And that's just one extension.

As for what that Firefox Myths page says about standards, the links to the example and the source in the W3C Standards 'myth' are broken and then it goes on about some guy's website telling people not to use IE which has nothing to do with FF's support of standards. It says FF's support is incomplete, but then does nothing to back it up.

The next two points about standards aren't about FF at all, but about the W3C.

As for the Acid test, it doesn't look right in FF 1.5, but it doesn't look right in Opera 8.53 either.

So let's say not that Firefox is a fully compatible to web standards, simply because it does not.

Well, if we take a look at a slightly more reputable source than that Firefox Myths page, with a proper table of test results like http://www.webdevout.net/browser-support we'll see that actually FF 1.5 scores higher than the other browsers tested (including Opera 8.5) in most areas, so I stand by my original claim that FF has better standards support than Opera.

What Firefox Myth is trying to say is that the common thing people say are not always true. Somehow they think it is because they read it elsewhere or heard from a third person.

The WebDev extension to Firefox which you have stated gives conveniences to web developers. That is simple as that. However that doesn't meant it's results follow the web standards. I didn't say you meant that either. Just to point that out.

It says FF's support is incomplete, but then does nothing to back it up.

From what you have stated about the support from Firefox with nothing to back up in Firefox Myths webpage, the link did states that it wasn't totally compatible to W3C Standards. You can try testing that out. I tested it too. It did not state any more to back its reasons because the source explained it.

As for the Acid test, it doesn't look right in FF 1.5, but it doesn't look right in Opera 8.53 either.

As for the Acid Test, I'm not sure if you had actually tested it in Opera browser. You stated that it doesn't look good on yours. Actually, I found that interesting after reading that from Firefox Myths and I tested that out immediately with Firefox and Opera. Well, as much as it says, Firefox indeed did not render that well. On the other hand, Opera showed that smiley face as perfect as the result shown in Firefox Myths. Hence it's the truth that Opera renders that well and passed the Acid test. I'm not sure how you've seen yours. I've tested it so I'm very sure it works. I'm using Opera 8.53.

Well, if we take a look at a slightly more reputable source than that Firefox Myths page, with a proper table of test results like http://www.webdevout.net/browser-support we'll see that actually FF 1.5 scores higher than the other browsers tested (including Opera 8.5) in most areas, so I stand by my original claim that FF has better standards support than Opera.

You can see from Firefox Myths, comparisons against Firefox are Opera version 9, and not Opera version 8.53. This is because the new version of Opera will release soon as it's finalising its new features. From then, if http://www.webdevout.net/browser-support updates, Opera 9 should score better.

As for the Acid Test, I'm not sure if you had actually tested it in Opera browser. You stated that it doesn't look good on yours.

Are you calling me a liar? You better not be. :)

Posted Image

Does that look the same as the screenshot you posted? Not it doesn't. It's clearly different. Now go back to that page in Opera and try scrolling. It looks even worse.

Tyssen, the post clearly states that it is in Opera 9 and not Opera 8.5 that it works. It works sometimes in Opera 8.5 though.

When I have been designing, there has been lots of issues both in Firefox and Opera, even if the code is 100% correct, and I have to write awkward pieces of code to make it work in all browsers. Anyway, it has been harder to me to program for Firefox than for Opera.

Well, the main reasons that I use Opera are:

The only thing I do is not browsing the web. I'm sure Firefox is good if you do that, but I actually SURF on the web. Firefox is too slow to let me do that :angry:

Also, I actually have a e-mail. So, I want to read it. Not online, as that would be too slow (even in Opera). So I'm using a mail client. Opera have a mail client, with notices (with sounds) appearing when you get a mail, even if Opera is minimized. That's good, and I can answer fast. Of course, there are other clients doing that, but I prefer to not have too much in my start menu.

I am also downloading lots of things. So, I need a client that lets me download something without opening new windows. In Opera, I can have tabs for downloads (and mail, and chat and every shortcuts I need), which will have a small additional window next to the page I'm browsing telling the status of all downloads.

Also, I am sometimes closing tabs accidently. It's good to open them again without having to browse the history. That's a feature I miss in Firefox.

When I'm browsing, I often have pages open that I do not want to bookmark, but still have them when I come back. Opera is excellent, as it lets you open the same pages that were open when you closed.

I am also active in Wikipedia. For me, it's important to have a fast browser for that. Also, I am active in the Wikipedia chat. Of course, I could download mIRC or another IRC-client, but again, this will lead to many open windows. So I'm using Opera.

I like to see the status of my website, such as the encoding, the SIZE of the page (very handy to know) etc. Everything like can be opened without having to click click click and open new windows.

Also, it's good to use shortcuts to navigate EVEN faster.

Furthermore, notes are handy.

And to end, I would like to tell you that Firefox is NOT faster than Internet Explorer. :angry:

Edited by Amezis (see edit history)

Tyssen, the post clearly states that it is in Opera 9 and not Opera 8.5 that it works. It works sometimes in Opera 8.5 though.

I wasn't disputing that. My point is/was that the browser with the best CSS support that is PUBLICLY AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW is FF 1.5. So Opera 9 is due soon and it's going to be better; Firefox 2.0 is in alpha development too so who's to say it won't be better again. The argument should only be based on what is currently publicly available.