xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zach101

Style Xp?

Hey guys my freind recently bought a very nice laptop and while he was showing it to me i asked him how he made it look so awesome and he informed me that it was by style xp and explained it to me, However he has a gig of ram on his laptop and a very fast processor and he says anything short of that will tottaly bog down your computer. As a matter of fact he says it even slows down his and im just wondering is this really true? how could somthing that just changes the appearnce of somthing take up so much memory and what not on your computer? Is it a bad thing to put on? and how much will it slow it down?

I have installed style xp and window blinds but windowblind is better than style xp Cas it waste a little system memory resource after boot.umm,although there are lots of theme for style xp,windowbinds looks cool than it.only boring thing is that we must run them when booting windows :huh: .

I run stylexp on my laptop and don't really notice any performance problems. I have a 1.8Mhz Dothan and 512mb ram. I haven't noticed it taking up that much system resources. I do seem to remember setting something in it so that it takes less resources, but I have not had any problems.

i ran style xp, but it ate up all my ram so i end up uninstalling it. i can't find a good theme os it was pretty useless. now i got a blue screen for wall paper and like windows 2000 theme, but hey, it speeds up my comp

Is there some alternative to using programs such as WindowBlinds or StyleXP? Like is there a way to have a skin without any of those programs. I would much rather be able to do that somehow than to always have WindowBlinds clog up my computer every time I try to turn it on. So basically, my question is - is there a way to apply skins without using the different programs?

Cain, the only way to get a different style on Windows XP is to change it to the Windows Classic style and then change the colours like you would in Windows 98.These style programs take up far too much memory, especially on older PCs.

Style XP = changing graphical style.Graphics = uses processor and memmoryThats why i set my theme to "classic" just plain grey, I also took off all thw shadows under menus and the cursor and what have you. My pc runs alot faster as a result. I do alot of work with multiple programs open, so i need all the power i can get ^^

I used to use styleXP on my vaio laptop in school but I never really noticed a performance decrease. Didn't have too many problems with boot times either. I think that laptop only had something along the lines of 512k memory.You might have alot of other stuff running on startup too that are takin up all yer cpu time and memory space.Some of the themes look way better than the standard grey bars tho - Hopefully Windows Vista (being more graphics driven) will have an option were u can load different themes using the OS software instead of a third-party program.

Generally these skinning softwares takes up lots of memory to skin your computer and give proper look and feel theme. The scripts in the various themes will take up even more memory for processings and skinning your computer.If you didn't experienced any slowdowns or insufficient memory, you probably have more than 512MB ram or your computer doesn't have an anti-virus or a firewall software, or any programs that takes huge resources upon computer startup.Or else these skinning programs will basically finish up all your memory, leaving you a beautiful desktop but slow in responds time and lagging behind every mouse clicks. Worst still, it may take hours to open Microsoft Words, Photoshop or Adobe Reader. Needless to say if you are launching to play an impressive 3D game.If you want to have a reliable and speedy computer, discard the beautical cosmetics of your desktop. If you want extra speed, disable Windows XP theme, giving you the look of Windows 98 or Windows 2000, except that its alot faster.What's there from skins if a computer is made for performance? :huh:

The setting I use in Style XP is on the Options Tab, under run at startup. I have checked Use No Resources. With this setting I don't have style xp running in the systray, and I have no problems with system resources.

Honestly, I use Style XP (I tried to go for the Aqua theme with Icons) and it does slow down my pc, but I do have to say that there's a major downside. I installed a theme, Aqua - which is a Mac OS X look-a-like - and I couldn't get my icons back to normal so I had to manually sort all of that. I haven't tried Windows Blinds in ages to be honest. Maybe I should. What I found to be the most aggrevating part about Style XP is when you actually download a theme and install it. Ever noticed that it tries to install 2 extra SPYWARE pieces?? And you can not disable that. So Style XP didn't have my vote there. As far as theming Win XP goes, just make sure you have Plus! installed, which is a Microsoft piece and you can just unzip themes in the theme folder under Plus! and then you have themes as well, with all the bells and whistles from XP themes. :huh: But without the spyware hassle.

moonwitch, I have several things to say about your post. First, you should have used FlyAKite. I'm using it right now, and it's pretty awesome. One install = Mac look-a-like PC. I have no idea if the icons restore back to normal, but I'm pretty sure they do. Second, you can choose to install the spywares that come with the downloads. Just read the checkboxes carefully. :huh:

zach, your computer stats look quite good to run style xp. I was running it on my celeron with 256 MB of RAM, and I did not notice anything. Of course, I had like 10 processes going, so that will be a factor, too. If you have 100 processes going at the same time, then it's not a good idea to run style xp, but if you have less than 30, then by all means, run it.

Enabling StyleXP

Style Xp?

Hey, I downloaded Style XP and when I attempted to enable it, it simply gave me a list of XP Builds and said it couldn't be enabled. Can anyone help? Using XP Pro.

-question by Destroyer895