xisto Community
zach101

Usb Ports?

Um im sure I will be called a N00B for not knowing this but I just frankly dint know it. You see my dad has a lap top with one of those small mouses, you know the ittie bitty tiny ones that gives u cramps just looking at it and its on that spool that winds up the cord or w/e well any way i had to do alot of hw for vb and that was the only computer available because my main one was being gay but i still had the mouse for mine its a logitech wheel mouse one (the optical kind) so its usb has a wheel and the light is red im sure there are lots of models of this same type of mouse but that should give u a general idea of what were talking about well when i took it and tried to plug into the usb drive on my dads lap top it wouldnt fit.... just simply to wide. So are there really two sizes of usb ports or what is this?

Really, too wide :(:huh::P , I must say never heard of that, I know they make usb cords that are thinner but they still work in standard USb 1.0 & 2.0 ports. I doubt it but are you sure it isn't a Firewire (ieee1394) port? Or firewire mouse (if such a thing exists)?

Too wide? I have never heard of that before.I know of one type of USB port. The particular one which is compliant with USB 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 specs.Never heard of this before.

I thought there was only one standard size for USB ports. Maybe you're talking about a COM port or something, I've seen those in some laptops and can certainly be described as "too wide" Try getting those cables from some printers and see if it fits. (The wide ones) Then, it must be a COM port.

Hmm this is quite interesting indeed i guess this really is quite unique. Well now that im aware that this is a new thing lets get into the details..... okay so mouse: Logitech gray wheel, red optical laser, standard usb connection end thingy from what i can tell it fits the front and back usb ports of my computer just fine.Laptop: toshiba not tottaly sure on the model though :huh: the smaller mouse was pluged into a side port (right side) i first tried plugging into that port but when i realized it was to wide to fit in the port i tried both ports on the back neather worked and yes im sure it was right side up and what not no it did not fit in any of the usb ports i tried all of them. So you guys have never heard of a mouse being two wide to fit in the ports eather eh? hmm odd indeadp.s. sorry about my spelling its bad i know

actualy there are two type of usb ports.. the small one and the big one. the small one are found in digital cameras and digital video cam. The big one is of course in computers such as laptops. But, i havent seen or heard that laptops uses the small port. I believe there is no firewore mouse yet available since it would be just a waste of resources :huh: coz this port are very high speed and it will be useless to just put a mouse on it.so it seems that the laptop only has the small usb ports that is found in digital cameras. thats weird. i guess you have to make do with the small mouse :P

no no im not talkng about the ones on calcs like ti 84 and cameras it looks as big but it just dosnt fit and when u put it side by side its like one eighth to small for a regular usb to fit in it damn i dont know whats going on maybe my mouse has expaned and pushed my usb in my own computer out with it? who knows

Could you actually post some picture of your laptop usb port? I don't know what is this about. Usb ports have 3 shape. The mini-one, the standard(I think it is) one and the square-one(Externel computer devices use them).

usb have all kind of shapse. From what i know, each company could have a different type of port but one end will alway be the standard type "A". Like the usb cable for my phone (motorola v180) is a Mini-usb to "A" type cable. All computers use the stand type "A" port. I have never seen one with anything different. And back to the problem, maybe your mouse have an extention that converts it into the standard usb port.

Um im sure I will be called a N00B for not knowing this but I just frankly dint know it.  You see my dad has a lap top with one of those small mouses, you know the ittie bitty tiny ones that gives u cramps just looking at it and its on that spool that winds up the cord or w/e well any way i had to do alot of hw for vb and that was the only computer available because my main one was being gay but i still had the mouse for mine its a logitech  wheel mouse one (the optical kind) so its usb has a wheel and the light is red im sure there are lots of models of this same type of mouse but that should give u a general idea of what were talking about well when i took it and tried to plug into the usb drive on my dads lap top it wouldnt fit.... just simply to wide.  So are there really two sizes of usb ports or what is this?

190743[/snapback]

Alright... Usb 101:

Theres only 1 kind of STANDARD usb port. I am sure that every mouse in the world has that kind of usb plug on it. (unless you have an uber-freaky mouse)... are you sure you are not sticking it in upsidedown, and just thinking its too wide?

Really, too wide      , I must say never heard of that, I know they make usb cords that are thinner but they still work in standard USb 1.0 & 2.0 ports. I doubt it but are you sure it isn't a Firewire (ieee1394) port? Or firewire mouse (if such a thing exists)?

I also am pretty sure, there is no such thing as a firewire mouse, but you may be triying to plug it into a firewire plug accidently... usb is WIDER than firewire.

And this brings us to our not so standard USB ports:

actualy there are two type of usb ports.. the small one and the big one. the small one are found in digital cameras and digital video cam. The big one is of course in computers such as laptops. But, i havent seen or heard that laptops uses the small port.

There are acctualy 3 in total,

the standard rectangle shape one,

one square one, for large usb powered hardware, such as printers

and one really small one for small usb powered hardware, such as cameras.

In every case i have ever seen, the only kind of usb port on a computer, is the standard rectangle one, same with the mouse... But if you have some uber-freaky computer, it might have a square usb port on it.

There are also many custom shapes usb cables can take the shape of, if the mouse was designed for a particular series of computer, the usb plug MIGHT ACTUALLY BE SMALLER ON THE LAPTOP... i know that sounds supprizing, but i have seen a smaller version of the audio out on a laptop once, only for one kind of addapter. (this was separatae from the headphone jack).

Just make sure it has the usb symbol, both on the mouse, and on the computer.

Your kidding! Too WIDE? I have never in my life heard of any Usb ports of hubs of anything being two different sizes. I know that there is two different speeds that you can get then in but sizes? Did you check to see if it were upside down?

Probably you didn't realise and know about USB technology.

Below are the types of USB today.

USB "A" connector (Picture sourced from howstuffworks.com)

Posted Image

This is the most common type of USB you will see among most peripherals.

This part connects to the computer USB port.

USB "B" connector (Picture sourced from howstuffworks.com)

Posted Image

This connector is always on the other end of the "A" connector to connect to the peripheral itself.

This part connects to the USB device. For example, printers, scanners etc.

USB "A" connector to USB "MINI" connector (Picture sourced from mercadolibre.com.ec)

Posted Image

This is a typical cable to connect a mobile device to a computer vis USB. This USB "MINI" connector connects to the mobile devices such as MP3 Players, Digital Cameras, Mobile Phones, etc.

USB "A" Port (Picture sourced from crutchfield.com)

Posted Image

This is a USB "A" port that you oftenly see on the computer itself.

USB "B" Port (Picture sourced from allerc.com)

Posted Image

This is a USB "B" port that you will find it on the USB devices.

USB "MINI" Port (Picture sourced from atmarkit.co.jp)

Posted Image

This is a USB "MINI" port that you will find it on mobile devices.

To find out more about USB technology and how it works, visit http://computer.howstuffworks.com/usb.htm

Point to Note

USB - Universal Serial Bus