xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
p_a

Jsp Or Php Faster, better, ....

JSP is usually used for big enterprise application and PHP for smaller onesBut I think newest version PHP has major upgrade which make it able to make enterprise application equal to those built using JSP.And, I feel that JSP is overcomplex, so I choose PHP :P

Just a short interesting analogy I've heard fro a friend:Java and JSP are like obsessive-compulsive people who cannot seem to trust their programmers/developers. It's a lot like they're thinking, "You are a developer. You are prone to mistakes. It is my job to call attention to even the tiniest of your mistakes. I know I'm slow but that's because I'm nitpicking your work so shut up and wait for me to finish."C and PHP, on the other hand, are like totally gullible slobs. They trust their developers, sometimes a bit too much. "I know you can do it," they say. "If something goes wrong, though, it's not my problem 'coz maybe you want that something to go wrong. Maybe you aren't making mistakes but just doing that $#!+ on purpose. Go ahead I won't stop you."So in the end of our dinner, I was even more befuddled with visions of talking programs. Still, though, it all depends on your needs. For general-purpose web development, though, I think PHP is better.

I think I prefer PHP because it\'s much easier. Plus it\'s object-oriented. It uses the same classes and objects functions as JAVA. Besides, some JAVA developers are trying to get to developing Javascript/AJAX applications with the help of Google Web Toolkit.

What is complex?Jsp Or Php

What is complex? What is samll? Can you define? Is facebook a small application?

IMO Php is simple, clear and procedural, which makes it compelling option for the mass. Whereas Java/Jsp is overtly complex, object oriented and therefore it serves only fanatics who are obsessed rather with the theory than its application and productivity.

-reply by RICK

I've been asking myself the same question and I've done some digging on the Internet. The wisest and best answer i have found was that you really shouldn't compare the two. They have different marketing targets, so to speak. What i mean is PHP, which initially stood for "Persona Home Page" was created for making small and medium sites with server side functionality. So far i've seen PHP being used mostly in shopping cart like web applications or presentation sites... you get the picture. I personally never really liked PHP and was forced to study it in school. Why i didn't like it was because it's all messy... you got html code mixed with php code... what just against the basic rules of programming "i belive in" :( ... Anyway I'm aware of the existence of PHP based frameworks like Zend that sepparate the server code from the presentation and also have classes and all sort of neat features. Now on the other side is the Java solution for web development : Java enterprise platform that offers servlets, jsp, tag libraries and all sorts of other APIs. Java is mostly used on really big "enterprise" projects where using PHP would be just pure torture. I'm talking about the kind of web apps created by big companies that have hundreds of classes created by tens of people scattered across the world. Indeed it takes a little more time to setup a Java project and to learn the principles of servlets and jsp or other Java frameworks, but at the end of the day you're making a web application the same way you would a desktop application. You've got classes, packages, design patterns... you've got object oriented programming. So that's why i prefer the Java solution. You've said PHP vs JSP ... i dunno if u can make a comparison bethween the two ... maybe it's more like bethween PHP and Java, cause JSPs as we all know are translated to servlets, and without servlets you don't have a web app :D . Plus no Java web developer will limit himself to using only servlets and jsp, most will continue by using struts, spring and all sorts of Java frameworks.So i guess what I'm saying is ... why can't we all just be friends ? :)

My friend developed a job website - related to posting of jobs/searching of jobs etc etc . This website is in php but he is now confused about the reliability and scalability of his website as the number of members increase. We are in a dilemma if we should migrate the website to jsp/servlets in the initial stage itself .Any thoughts are welcome.

My friend developed a job website - related to posting of jobs/searching of jobs etc etc . This website is in php but he is now confused about the reliability and scalability of his website as the number of members increase. We are in a dilemma if we should migrate the website to jsp/servlets in the initial stage itself .
Any thoughts are welcome.

I don't see how it being in PHP can affect the reliability/scalability. There are many websites that have hundreds of thousands/millions of visitors daily and have 0 issues, all run on PHP. In fact, as far as I know all the major CMS's (at least the open-source ones) all rely on PHP, as well as the major forum boards.

I think it has more to do with the coding efficiency than it does the language.