xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvarnerexpress

Hardware Changes And Now Winxp Doesn't Boot!

I've just performed a near-complete upgrade of my main computer. New mobo, processor, more RAM. I kept both my HDs and would like to continue using the Windows install I was using before. While I have definitely not passed the hardware test (Windows's way of making sure you haven't borrowed a friend's HD by checking to see if the hardware is the same as when it was installed) I've read that SP1 and up will let you boot into safe mode and reactivate.The way it is now, all I get is the Safe Mode/LastKnown/Start normally screen. If I choose anything, the system reboots.I googled this problem and it seems a "repair install" of Windows does the trick, however, I really don't want to clear the registry. Will it?If it will, does anyone know of a tool that will create a Windows registry backup from Linux? I've got a Knoppix CD lying around...hanks SO much for any help you guys might offer.HardwareAsus P5P800 moboIntel P4 640 (3.2Ghz) +HT2GB Kingston DDR400 PC3200 ValueRAMATI A-I-W 9600onboard sound, IDE, network2x250GB HDs, 1 WD and 1 HitachiOld hardwarePCChips M938Intel P4 2.8Ghz 533Mhz FSB1GB Kingston DDR400 PC3200 ValueRAMATI A-I-W 9600onboard sound, IDE, networksame hard driveskvarnerexpress

changing hardware leaded to the windows' fail setup...umm...you should set your bios of CMOS to load the default configuration and boot your pc from xp boot cd.with the cd,you can use the recovery console.by some basic dos command:fixboot and fix mbr to rebuild or recover your boot list.then to log in the safe mode to check win.ini and sys.ini file for your boot problem.

Did you make sure to install your motherboard? Most motherboards come with installation floppy disks that you need to put in the drive before using your motherboard. If it did not come with one or you can access all the boot screens put in your Windows XP cd and try to repair the installation. I hope this helps computer problems stink belive me.

You should tell us what's the error that you have. Did you want to start the Windows from your friend's HDD? Cuz I don't think this is gonna work since is a new motherboard and many other stuff.If you tried a clean installation from the win xp cd please write down the error message and reply in here with it. maybe we'll find a way to help you with that.keep in mind that if you have a sata hdd you have to insert the floppy disk in the A drive of your computer and push F6 several times at setup startup proccess of win xp installation. Please tell us more.

Try booting into the "Don't reboot on error" mode. It should report the error(The blue screen of death should come up). If it's still restarting, then the boot loader(NTLDR) can't find your xp installation. If you don't have that mode(I know some computer don't) I don't know what to do. But I think a repair will work and I don't think that will erease the registry because softwares and working afterward(Right?)

Alert! Dell Dimension failed to bootHardware Changes And Now Winxp Doesn't Boot!

OK! As I turned on my computer, it frozed in the middle of rebooting, so I tried that 2 more times, same thing happened.

Then... The next time, this message appeared...

Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at Checkpoint [uSB 1]...

So I turned it off then on, next message...

Alertt! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at Checkpoint [ AUX], tried again...

Alertt! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at Checkpoint [ TIME].

Everytime that I unplug it, the last Alert message appears.

Just to let you know, as soon as I turn the computer back on, the computer makes no sound, it does not go through the cycle of powering up at all, the message just comes on right away.

Hopefully someone has a solution to this problem.  Remember since it doesn't power up, I cannot hit F2, F8 or F12. I cannot make it start-up from the CD mode.

I was trying to overtake this hassle,  but I think that my next step would be is to un-hook everything from the back and then remove the memory and then re-install it?

Helpless,

~blue

-question by blueeyes