xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Avalon

Becca Gift Sig by Avalon

To continue with my gift sigs, here's one for Becca. In keeping with the render, I tried to get a 'woodsy' feel. As usual, all comments are appreciated... how else am I going to learn? :ph34r:

Posted Image

Not much depth in the background, render is way too small, text is way too big, and there are empty spaces on the sig.You can solve most of the stuff that I mentioned by just making the height of the sig a bit smaller.

Not much depth in the background, render is way too small, text is way too big, and there are empty spaces on the sig.

You can solve most of the stuff that I mentioned by just making the height of the sig a bit smaller.

187565[/snapback]

Can you please elaborate on what you mean here. The render is too small but I need to make the height smaller? I confused. :D

You say there are empty spaces on the sig, I am looking at your "Real men use pink" sig and from what I can see there is a large empty space under the text, (empty except the background of course). Mine is showing a lot of background around the text too. What exactly do you mean by "empty space"? Just trying to understand. :ph34r:

You say there are empty spaces on the sig, I am looking at your "Real men use pink" sig and from what I can see there is a large empty space under the text, (empty except the background of course). Mine is showing a lot of background around the text too. What exactly do you mean by "empty space"? Just trying to understand.  :ph34r:

187590[/snapback]

I'm not sure which of Snil's sigs you're talking about, but for your one, Avalon, there is quite a substantial amount of space above and below the text. It's not really bad, because the background is quite interesting. However, it still does feel a little bare, and if you were to make the height smaller, or elaborate on brushing in those areas, it would be better filled. It's also because the actual render size is not so big, as there is background showing around the bow, and in the top right.

I really do like the background though :D

I'd put a link to Snil's "Real men use pink" sig if I could, but because he uses a sig rotator it's a little difficult.

So I should have cropped the render tighter perhaps so it only showed her head and shoulders? I did try that but it looked a bit funny having just the top of the bow showing without it being connected to her hand. I could have removed the bow entirely I guess, but then you wouldn't know she is an archer/hunter. :shrug:

I also tried it with the text smaller in line with Snil's comment, but with the short name it looked out of proportion to me. I guess if I put more in the background it wouldn't have been so noticeable.

I totally agree with Snil's comment about the background lacking depth, now that it has been pointed out to me. I didn't want to put too many leaves because then they seemed to loose definition, perhaps adding more leaves with some drop shadowing might have helped? I deliberately tried to minimize the grunge because Becca once said grunge is over done and was looking for something different.

This is all good feedback, sometimes I just need a little more information to properly understand. Thanks folks. :D

Here is Snil's "Real men use pink" sig I was talking about.

Posted Image

As you can see it has a large 'vacant' space under the text, this is why I am confused when empty space works and when it doesn't. Yes, his has a fancy background, but so does mine in it's own way. (Cool_Freaker likes it!) :ph34r:

Anyway, I thought by showing this sig it might explain my confusion rather than you thinking I'm complaining about the feedback. :(

Notice from Becca:
MERGED.

Well, Snil made that one a while ago, I would actually say the same thing about his :ph34r: After looking at the render again, I guess I understand that if you were to chop off a bit of the top it might look weird. I like your style, and I agree, grunge is overdone - a little bare is better than a generic grunge. More leaves certainly may help, but it could ruin the effect you were trying to achieve (right now, at a glance, it looks like army camo). Maybe try for some more contrast in terms of colour, like having the background slightly different around the render (lighter/darker/different coloured leaves/quantity of leaves, whatever), and gradually blends in with the left side of the signature - just to give the render more of a "focus", so to speak.

it seem that i have seen this render before,however the sig looks not bad.the background full of leaves is beautiful...good sig gift

Hey is Becca ME Becca? If it then thanks aloT!!!@@!! It looks cool :ph34r: but why do I get sigs ONLY of female characters... o.O

i didnt like the background... because its like you used only one brush (the leaves )

187820[/snapback]

Actually, there are various abstract brushes under the leaves. I used them to try and give the appearance of grass under the leaves. :ph34r:

Hey is Becca ME Becca? If it then thanks aloT!!!@@!! It looks cool :ph34r: but why do I get sigs ONLY of female characters... o.O

187833[/snapback]

I used a female render because I assume you are female. I was thinking of making another sig for you using a fairy render, (because of your site vintagefairy.com), maybe not such a good idea by the sound of it. What type of render would you like to see, something gothic perhaps?

yeah i owuld have to agree i'm not feeling the background on this one, i think it might have looked better in a pixel stretch with the render then put in some grunge brushes to smooth it out. same with the text as well, the glow would have looked good but the bevel kind of turns it off a bit, but the blend job is excellent as well.its ok overall but need some work.