xisto Community
AmandaB78

Do You Think This Is A Good Idea? Way to make money

I would like to hear your opinions. I've recently started making things like jewelry, purses, wallets, painted wooden boxes, picture frames, and clothes. I usually wear my stuff to school and found that people like them. Within a week people were buying them off me. One of my teachers told me I should make a website with all my stuff on it and sell it. I thought that was illegal. Any ideas about this??

of course its a small business and its a great way to let people know about it, and if your town has its ownwebsite see if you can have your website placed on it for some good advertising.

of course its a small business and its a great way to let people know about it, and if your town has its ownwebsite see if you can have your website placed on it for some good advertising.

187229[/snapback]

I thought I had to have a license to sell my stuff?

I thought I had to have a license to sell my stuff?

187237[/snapback]

Probably only if you rent premises or get so big that you attract attention to yourself. If you maintain a minimal profile, ie: sell mostly on the web, I doubt very much if they would bother you.

Have you considered eBay? or other similar sites?

true you only need a business liscense only if you own a store on a property or something like that, if its online then no.but stay away from ebay and paypal or you will lose money they steal money without letting you know why they did it.

true you only need a business liscense only if you own a store on a property or something like that, if its online then no.

but stay away from ebay and paypal or you will lose money they steal money without letting you know why they did it.

187260[/snapback]

I wish I would have known that yesterday. I dad won rims for his harley on ebay and used paypal to pay. Do you think hes going to get ripped off?

Yes you can sell your own stuff on your own website without anything like a licence I believe. I sell cell Phones online and it really pays well if your advertised correctly.

Good Luck

187320[/snapback]

Thanks! Do you have a website that I can look at that shows how you chose to advertize your cell phones?

It's not illegal to sell your wares online. As long as you don't claim yourself to be a branch of someplace else. Make sure you don't sell in bulk either. Only sell like 1 at a time, or else your hands will be uber full and you'll be so busy.Don't sell on eBay. Period. eBay isn't reliable in the fact that items sell for different prices each time. You can sell something for 100 bucks, and try selling the same thing again and only get 20. Simple as that.Make your website, sell your product cheap at first, and once you're more well-known, raise the prices a bit.To advertise, give your website to google and other really popular search engines. Put google ads on your site, it'll up your traffic, and you'll get a few bucks from it.Maybe you should show us some pics of what you've made? That'd be awsome!Goodluck in your business!

Well i dont count it as illegal unless it grows very big or so. but im not sure about that cause most people would buy stuff using credit cards and kids would buy stuff with paypal so i dont think it would be countered as legal to be having peoples credit card information. One thing you can do is accept money order. like once you recieve the money you give them the item. and charge for shipping and handling.

Here's an article on How do you distinguish between a business and a hobby?

It depends on your CITY/STATE I believe whether or not you need a LICENSE to do business. It also depends on WHAT exactly your business is... It sounds like you would be considered "retail sales". This does not mean you have to have a retail location, it just shows you sell items to the public, as opposed to selling "wholesale" or renting things, or providing a service. It is a Business CLASSIFICATION.

And one of the reasons for HAVING to have a license is so that you can pay TAXES on the profit you make. LEGALLY you need a business license IF YOUR STATE REQUIRES YOU TO. You also need to CLAIM the income on your FEDERAL income taxes at the end of the year.

I'm sure a lot of people will say, oh you're small, don't worry about it... but if it is illegal then it is ILLEGAL, and you would be breaking the law. If they caught you, they would have everyright to arrest you/ fine you for back taxes that were due to the city/state.

I'm not saying that you need to immediately get a license, but if you truly do plan on making this a "Business" (and not just a hobby) then as soon as you feel that it is past the "breaking even" stage, you should get one. Just my opinion, and like I said, it may depend on where you live whether a license is even necessary.

Good luck!

It's an excellent idea to sell your creations online. You shouldn't need a license to do it either. I know several people who sell stuff without a license.And regarding the comments about ebay and PayPal, I would take exception to them. I have sold stuff on ebay and used PayPal for years without problems. I have read that some people have had bad experiences. But I would think that is more the exception than the rule. It's easier and cheaper to get going in your own online business with PayPal than by trying to get your own credit card merchant account.For some tips on how to get started, you may want to look up the keywords "101 ebay tips" in Google and read some of the info that you find. It comes from people who have been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. :huh: