xisto Community
wild20

Have You Ever Been To The Rocky Mountains? Have you?

This just popped into my head right now. I searched the forums and could find nothing on rocky mountains. So, here I am asking, have you ever been to the rocky mountains? What was your experience. I love the mountains, and like to hike and mountain bike. If you have not been to the rockies, have you been to any at all? Have you even seen mountains before? I have gone through those mountains, but only when moving. I have stayed in Montana for a while on a trip, but that is about it. They are beautiful! Anyway, tell about your experience, maybe when you went, and for how long, if you stayed at all. I await your reply, thanks.

I went to a national park in the Rockies for a 6-day backpacking trip a few years back. It was awesome. Soaring peaks, and frigid rivers, waterfalls, wild animals...wow. The native indians would come to the rockies for their spiritual rituals, and it's easy to understand why. The trails were really well maintained and the campsites weren't crowded. I went with a friend of mine, and we met a few folks that were very interesting. My advice is go with someone experienced if you're not, but get off the beaten path!!! If you're going to such a beautiful place you don't want to have to fight for a good view. Also, bring a stove. It's cold, and a fresh pot of hot coffee or tea is worth the extra pounds on your back.I remember feeling scared the first time I rode in a car after the trip because it felt like i was moving so FAST! :P I guess that is what happens when you hike for six days. Being without the internet and all the other distractions of modern life for a while is a good test of character. I highly recommend it.

Wow, thanks. Where did you go? I was thinking about the sawtooths maybe for a backpacking trip. Was it forested well? Oh, and what part of the rockies was it? I would love to go there if you could give some more info about it. I also forgot to mention that Glacier National Park is amazing too. Thanks for replying.

I went to glacier. I can't remember the trails that I took off the top of my head, but I can look it up for you if you want. I remember we had to change our route at the last minute because a bear was causing trouble somewhere along it. :P Oh yeah, and bring a topographic map and a compass! Practice your scouting skills man, it's fun. Even though the trails are well marked and you'll never need it to find your way around you can still locate peaks and other features with a topo. I didn't bring one and I missed it. And of course, if you're going to go into the backcountry it is essential.I've never been to the sawtooths, but glacier had all kinds of vegetation areas. We went through a lot of different elevations so we saw it all. There are woods, some meadows, and lots of lakes there. We went right around this time of year actually, and the thimbleberries are everywhere and they're delicious. Built-in trail food...The glaciated terrain is the best though. U-valleys, and boulder fields and mini-lakes. Touch a glacier before they're gone dude.

I've only been to the Rockies once during the summer and we did very small hikes, nothing strenuous. I usually visit the Rockies in the winter though. If you're interested in skiing or snowboarding then there are definitely some great places that you need to visit. All my suggestions are in Colorado and are quite close to one another. Aspen and Snowmass are both great towns and have excellent slopes ranging from beginner to expert and Apsen Mountain just recently opened up to snowboarders too. Also, I would suggest Vail. Very nice town, great slopes as well. Hope this helps.

"Ever been to the Rockie Mountains"Every morning. I wake up in the middle of them. Actually, the Western Boundary of them. And yes, they are fabulous. Long term residents take them for granted, but the views, the wildlife, the hiking, fishing, the skiing, snow mobiling, biking, you name it... it is just different with the beautiful scenery, abundant flora and fauna (whatever that is).Drop me a pm and I'll hook you up with some pictures... or local links.I live in Golden, BC, about a one hour drive west of Lake Louise. Best one hour drive in Canada, IMHO.

I grew up in tennessee, and I drove through there often, but I don't remember a whole lot considering I was 5-10 when I lived there. I remember them though, they were always beautiful, and I could always see them in the horizon when I was outside.. Gatlinburg was always fun to go to too, I'm pretty sure it's in the rocky's...right?

I've heard that the appelachians are also very beautiful (Rockies are more west coast).They're an older mountain range, so they're easier to navigate through.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Edited as per request
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Man, thanks guys. I always like to bring a topo. I also have experience in orienteering. If that is how you spell it. Anyway, I actually did think Glacier was cool. I have heard about the ski areas in Colorado. I would love to visit one someday, as I love to ski. I have been though the appalachians too. Stayed in them once on a trip. Thanks for the info guys.

Yes I've been to the Rocky Mountains before. Here in Canada we have the Great Rocky Mountains and they are just wonderful to see. A few years ago my mom and me travelled all the way from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, all the way to Victoria Island and we didn't fly there we drove all day and all night but made a few stops along the way. We did some camping stayed my moms parents place and stayed in places like The Badlands of Alberta. We also stayed in Banff National park and saw some deer as well. :huh: And even saw a mountain goat once and we stayed in a tent over night. When you looked outside you can see the Great Rocky Mountains going a huge distance in the air they were spectacular. And then we travelled on to Victoria Island and stayed with an Uncle for a few days and explored Victoria Island and showed us where he went Bungee Jumping once and show us some other very cool stuff there. And it was the best trip we ever went on and it took about 3 or so weeks to get there and back it was a very long drive. But I hope to do it again someday.