xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
psychiccyberfreak

What Is The Best Free Os

You are in luck. May I suggest Linspire, a Linux distribution made incredibly simple to use and it looks just like Windows. It normally costs ?49 but you can get it for free by clicking here and following the instructions. They've got some offer on after someone released some software called 'Freespire' which caused confusion so Linspire is free for a few days. I suggest using BitTorrent to download it, it goes much faster. Its incredibly quick and easy to use.

I would recommend Suse Linux 9.3 as a free OS that runs well. It has a huge support base so when you run into trouble you just have to google it. Plus, it is one of the few that are backed by profitable companies so it seems like it is here to stay.

Not really.

You're downloading an entire OS.

Windows is around 1.5 gigs. So I'd consider small .isos and such a good size, even if they're around 500 mb.

Panda - Recomends Debian. Google it -

Panda

183370[/snapback]

so, what should I download?

[alpha] [arm] [hppa] [i386] [ia64] [m68k] [mips] [mipsel] [powerpc] [sparc] or [s390]?

No problemo.

I wish you luck, there's no YAST for Debian, that I remember.. So It'll be interesting to see how you turn out.

If you 'fail' per-se. I'll ISO my Suse 9.2 disks and send them to ya'. So you're sure you don't get some hijacked copy :) (Yea, I'm that nice)

Panda

yeah, I'm new to linux, so this will be my first walk away from windows xpI'll try all the oses you guys tell me about.I'm going to make a cd that I can boot something like debian from without having to install everything, so I can feel like I'm at home when I go over to a friends house or something.

For a few seconds I was a really really happy person because Ive been wanting to try out the linspire distribution so I read on until I got to the part where it said it expires in september 6!!!! I kept on reading and it said that they would extend it for a couple of days so I hurried up to the download section of the Linspire page and it said that the coupon expired on September 8. :) Guess Ill have to wait a while for a coupon like this to come up again.

any other ones?its the install process the same as windows, as they closed the download service, which sucks, anyone here has a site where i can download it?