xisto Community
DYABLO

Military Laser Brings 'star Wars' Reality Closer

It's amazing what movies can make The army do. Especially Sci-fi films like Star wars, soon the army would want to make gravitational tanks. Then again why not. It would be great to see one of those AT walker things, especially with the US flag on it. Also a shield or something those will be more usefull than lasers, or maybe a cheap food product that they can provide to poor starving people.

This sounds similar to a technology I hard of. It is a cheap, yet extremely efficient laser that targets missiles, and always hits them. My friend told me a story about the Russians firing a missile at Canada. One of the Canadian ships saw the missile, aimed at it with the laser, and blew it out of the sky very casually. Next the Russians got a phone call from the Canadian, and said it was an "accident". I don't know how any country could accidently fire a rocket at another country. Crazy story, but true. :P

I'm sure that anyone who would have their explosives shot out of the sky without inflicting any damage would be quick to appologize (or make up a story) as well.As some have said, there is almost no way a human could use this weapon the way they do in Star Wars/Trek. First of all, the target/aircraft would be moving too fast for human reflexes to react properly. Secondly, the laser would be invisible; it wouldn't be the neat little colored beam that one sees in the movies. A computer would have to control the weapon (which may cause potential hacking of the weapon to become a problem).Concerning the use of a laser as a weapon on general, it seems to me that it wouldn't be very difficult to defend against; one must simply cover the missle/plane with a highly reflective surface, since a laser is simply intense light.As for the comments concerning a light saber, don't hold your breath; that's a completely fictional concept, and there is no proof that suggests a thick laser that completely ends at a certain point is even possible.

Wow. Something like this could really come in handy when trying to take out an anti-vehicle type weapon. I wonder how fast a weapon like that would over heat and how long it ould take to cool down and what the rate f fire would be.

Wow.  Something like this could really come in handy when trying to take out an anti-vehicle type weapon.  I wonder how fast a weapon like that would over heat and how long it ould take to cool down and what the rate f fire would be.

210699[/snapback]

Oh, i'd give it 10secs :) and to cool down i'll give it 10months!! None of this is going to help anyone in anyway, its just another, i wanna look good 'big boy' toy for the US, to sell to other countries.

Then try and take it back for no good reason, they have there and my troops over there for nothing worth 10 cents.

Like many others I have saw this prototype (when I saw the show on Discovery Channel is was only an ideea, not the real thing). And No it is defently NOT a good thing, because as a new weapon they need someone or somewhere to test it. War in Iraq anyone? (of course in Iraq there was also oil).I'm sorry I have missed that documentary on Discovery Channel about the way Star Wars has influenced our lives...

That'd be pretty cool actually.But, I do think that all of this military news is actually much more advanced that the people let on. I mean, one would assume that have a lock on a person brain where many frequencies and also heat is present would be very simple considering that planes can lock onto each other from 100s of meters away...So, I think that locking onto a person brain and then shooting them with a sniper or such would be easy...But we haven't heard of anyone doing anything like that, or trying--Bit off topic now that I look at it, sry :P

The problem, Sirius, is that it's much more efficient to train someone to use a sniper rifle than to spend the time/money that it would take to create a device that would lock on, even if it guaranteed a perfect headshot.And, as far as I know, brian waves don't come out of your head like radio waves come out of an antenna; they're simply the frequency at which the electricity within one's brain is operating at, and as such, they aren't detectable over a long distance (unless there would be some way to detect electrical fields, in which case anything that was alive or consumed power would give a signature, causing the readings to be blinded, like looking into normal light wearing night vision goggles, and the case would be the same for heat vision, since anything at all that gave off heat would show up as well).