xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
icemarle

About "hosting" Sub-domains

I have a domain, but it's not exactly a TLD, uni.cc, but since I have a domain in Xisto, I have an option to having subdomains like subdomain.domain.uni.cc. Here's my question. I want to make some guys use a subdomain of mine. Is this allowed? It's not like I'm charging them or anything. It's a bit like hosting them I suppose... Don't worry, their site isn't illegal in anyway. ;) I just wonder if "hosting" a subdomain for other people is allowed. Sorry if this disturbed anyone in a way.Thanks.

I seem to remember someone asking about this before and I remember than the answer was something like "yes, as long as you realize that whatever they host is your responsibility".

I can't find the thread, but I'll try and find it...

Microsoft, please do not hijack the thread. Your question is not pertaining to this topic. When making your post please provide more information, so that other members have clear idea what you are doing. Such information can be as: what I have done so far, this is how I did it, when I did it, and it's been this long but I haven't see this result, this is what I want to happen.Your post is considered as SPAM (a one liner without a clear direction) and next will be deleted and hosting credits taken away. Please make your own topic.Thank you.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing Icemarle. I'm gonna host games (that's not all my site's about, don't worry, i'm not violating any TOS) and i wanted to provide my users a small website so they can talk about their game in detail and provide screenshots, pictures, etc. I wouldn't think about charging them unless you were charging me.

OK then, although waiting fills me with anxiety, I hope that it's OK... ;) *waits in hope that it's allowed*Anyway, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who's asking about the same thing. :o

In the mean time, I'd like to share my point of view. Ultimately, you will be responsible for whoever uses your hosting. So if you know the risk that comes with hosting/sharing with someone else, I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be allowed. Believe it or not, I know few members that have already done this and been doing this from the beginning. I kind of know that one hosting account was created and there are multiple people logging in to keep the credits up. I think OpaQue has anticipated this and thus gave each cPanel, each hosting account with creating more than one FTP account AND ability to create anonymous FTP account as well. Otherwise, your cPanel would only show 1 or 2 subdomain, 1 FTP account and much lower bandwidth limits. But I don't know what OpaQue might say...

As long as the people know that those subdomains are being hosted by Xisto, everything goes fine.If you are using UNI.CC, then I request them to put a note or message saying, Free Web Hosting Provided by Xisto.comand also your site to have such a link which is clearly visible.