xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloHelp

Fake Paypal Email Messages take a look and be aware

I know, it's scary, they're getting more...real, the websites. I have learned somethings to stay away from. Sometimes, the scammers make their site look exactly the same, but check the URL, is it the same? If it's not, then it's probably a scam. Also, check for holes in the messages, as in, does it make any sense? Have you ever done these things? If a website states that they will never ask you for your password, and someone caliming to be the website asks for your password, it's, by reason, fake.

Never click a link in a PayPal email. Never. Not even if it's ACTUALLY from paypal. If you get an email telling you to verify your email, copy and paste the URL that they want you to use and paste it manually into your browser. (It should NOT be something like "Click here to verify" it should be something like "https://www.paypal.com/de/webapps/mpp/homefoo/bar/verify"). Although Paypal does use text like "Click here to blah blah", they would usually provide an alternate URL, so copy and paste that one instead. Normally, just copy and paste the verification code and enter it in the page by manually going to paypal's site and finding that page. After you copy and paste ANYTHING and use it already, be sure to clear your clipboard, or copy something else that's useless.

Do not EVER enter ANY information in a window without an address bar. The address bar should work, you should be able to access different sites with it, and you should be able to right click on it. (Once I saw a very well duplicated address bar with working buttons too! However you couldn't right click...)

ALWAYS open a new window and type "https://www.paypal.com/de/webapps/mpp/home; (with the s in HTTPS!) and fulfill the instructions in your email manually. Be sure that the first slash "/" is directly after "paypal.com".

Paypal will NEVER address you as "Paypal user" or "Paypal Member" or your email address. They will always call you by your name.

If you suspect a site that is fake, enter some fake information in the login box (like "1ksja" for the username and "ak99jka" for the password) and see if you can log in. If for some reason you do log in, that site is fake.

I recieve so many of these emails it's not even funny... I don't even use Ebay or Chase! lol

Paypal will NEVER address you as "Paypal user" or "Paypal Member" or your email address. They will always call you by your name.

Actually Dooga, they somehow have found out my name and put it in one of my fake verification pages someone sent me. But I guess that isn't to hard to spoof some of these things being as your e-mail address is your Paypal ID. Hmmmm.. How convienent. Is it possible to find out much about me with just my e-mail address? I would like to know. :angry:

PayPal never send out email like that and always check in the browser that the url has a https:// if not close the browser that cathes out loads of people so make sure there is a https://

I have also received such types of the messages many times, I asked about this to my friend, then one of my friend who is expert in identifying the fake mails told me that it is the fake mail and once you logon to this site they will hack your password or your credit card no. and apply this for illegal purpose. So before sign up check for genuine website.

I have also received such types of the messages many times, I asked about this to my friend, then one of my friend who is expert in identifying the fake mails told me that it is the fake mail and once you logon to this site they will hack your password or your credit card no. and apply this for illegal purpose. So before sign up check for genuine website.

the email headers is the key if you can be easily fooled by URL (web addresses). Gmail and the new Yahoo mail have "view headers" or "view transcript" menu which will show you

mail ID - mail id of the email when it was sent by the mail server
source mail server - simply the name of the mail server or an IP addresses if it is not available.

any webmail client that don't have this info shown to you also discards this info and was more prone for spams. MSN and hotmail for example refuse to show me this info and my mailbox even if it is not known to anyone except 2 friends gets 140spam a day with 2-4 valid emails. my gmail on the other hand gets 500+ mails a day and 3-5 spams a day and it was posted on hundreds of websites around the globe.

firebox's mail client also can see this and "some" outlook softwares (i think a patch is needed for this to work)...

I haven't received any emails like these and I know I wouldn't be fooled anyway. This is 2010, and by now most people who use Paypal do know that such emails are fake and only the most unsuspecting of them all will fall for such traps in this day and age. Still, it's best to be cautious so be safe everyone!