xisto Community
Kubi

New Worm! Please note New Worm here

OK! Mircosoft has just discovered a new worm. I repeat! NEW WORM! The new worm is called "Zotob". It's a worm that can takes weeks, months, to get embeded into your system and take over. It digs so deep that it's very difficult to erase. So PLEASE! Listen carefully!Zotob --The worm targets Windows 2000 Computers and once it's embeded, it'll try sending itself to other computers! The worm IS *NOT* caught by emails, websites, anything. It's a worm that opens itself, so you have to be really carefull now.What it does:Is simply *RANDOMLY* shutsdown your system by send invalid links to your computer. EX.C:\Program Files\Josephslasj9waObviously, not a valid file. When your computer searchs for that file it'll never find it, the worm repeats this OVER and OVER until your Buffer Overflows, once this happens you'll get a pop-up like you would in command promt saying your computer will now shutdown in 30 seconds. It'll do this very randomy.Doesn't seem harmful? Well, I would be worried about loss of info.It's easily prevented from entering your system, just turn on the firewall and your virus protector.I'm not sure what "Zotob" stands for but, I believe it was a terrorist attack. I'm not possitive don't think we're being invaded.Hope this'll help you.EDIT: Pinned.

Edited by KuBi (see edit history)

Oh KuBi, you're slipping man! :) The topic started here already http://forums.xisto.com/topic/26216-new-worm-m-users-be-warned-worm-zotobd-and-worm-rbotcbq/ I'm not sure which one members would prefer to reply. It's up to them. But let's stick to the thread that already started.

When this is all over, this topic should be unpinned.

Meh, ya, I just relized that. Gimme a break lol, I'm tired. Just got home from school. Righto, unpinned and closed.

Huh? This topic is still pinned, oh well. Also, topic description changed it's a worm not a virus.

Notice from KuBi:
Hmm? What are you talking about, I did put worm as the name. If you need a topic title/description changed of my own, just PM me next time.
Edited by KuBi (see edit history)

Buffalo, that's not about Zotob, that's about a different worm, I guess they work the same but it's a different one.@Cmat -- I had the topic title as "worm" so if you changed something you changed the wrong topic, yes, this topic is still pinned. Is there a problem with that? I'm unpinning it in a week.

#Kubi - The description said New Virus Detected. I have no problem with this topic being pinned and open but you said that you unpinned and closed in the third post so I was confused because it wasn't.#BuffaloHELP - That's a different ZotoB. At the moment there's ZotoB.a through to ZotoB.h. Patches and more info can be found at:securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.zotob.X.html* X represents the letters a to h.

I think the solution to stop those stupid count down things is to do the following:

1. Click Start and choose Run.

2. Type shutdown -a and press enter.

3. The countdown to shutdown will be bypassed.

Simple as that. :)

Holy gees, you guys are out to prove me wrong... :)Anyway, it's has been discussed and I'm unpinning this topic. I'm sorry I didn't know there were other various worms to zortob. But the topic title states a new worm, not specific to just one. Otherwise the title should have been reflect to such. Okay guys? Let's not have a contest to see who's right...