xisto Community
CopperZepher

How To Create A Phpbb Fm Create a Fully Modded forum.

I have been hosting my own server on my computer for a few days, and I dont need the ftp client right? I also Installed phpbb in my page and it came out all buggy, so i deleted the folder and the mysql database...now when i go to reinstall it it never finds the database... Does anyone have any clue what I did?

I just saw that list of mods they have installed. all i can say is $?%" i about 1 week ago installed my phpbb the lazy way through fantastico and ever since then have been manualy installing mods, some of which are in those lists, is there any way i can upgrade without having to install the mods again which arnt included with that fully modded version???

CopperZepher, this is absolutely a wonderful Tutorial. I finally made my Forum with no problem! Took only 3 minutes to Install it.. THnX for your Tutorial once again. The Problem i had mainly was i didn't know where to put my phpBB2 Files.. And the other problem was the SQL Database.. Now I am OK with everything! ThnX to you!

ThX! i really needed that really bad.

Notice from saint-michael:
excessive spam removed the repeated lines. warning issued.

I dont want to spoil this party or it's starter, but I personaly do not like phpBB, SMF is forum you have to use!
But that is just my opinion...

Hey berakd, its not only your opinion but I also think so, SMF is by far superior than phpBB. phpBB is coming with its ver 3 which I have heard is very nice, but at present SMF is the best and free forum.

WOW this an extremely good tutorial. I really wish I would have seen this before I made my Simple Machines Forum. I think I might follow this tutorial and look at all the mods and if its worth it I might convert. Very Well written A+++!

5. Now open your FTP program, and enter the details of your login, which you should get via e-mail, these include the FTP site, which may be a series of numbers, like 111.11.111.11 or something like that. Or if you don't get any numbers, just use ftp.YourSubDomain.YourHost.com or whatever your site is, with an "ftp." before it. Now enter your username and password, which will most likely be with the e-mail that hass all the numbers and stuff.

thanks but unfortunately its not idiot proof ;). ive d/loaded core ftp but cant seem to connect. ive created a website with freeweb.com and i want to create a forum on it. when i open up core ftp i get the site manager dialogue box. what site name do i give? also what password and username is it asking for? ;)

I do not think Freewebs supports MySQL and PHP. You are better off posting here on Trap 17, then applying for hosting. You will get more space, more features and a better community overall on here than Freewebs.I did try to install PHPBB FM once, and I couldn't login for some reason, but I may try again a bit later.I would recommend zipping it up and uploading via cPanel, as it saves time and you are not doing it all separate.

i agree with quicksilva. you can upload your zip file via FTP manager, and then use cpanel --> file manager to unzip it. uploading lot's of files is slower than uploading one zip file and then unziping it with file manager.you can also unzip the file on your computer as it is zipped in 'phpbb' folder, and then just zip all the files in that folder so that when you upload and unzip to let's say 'forum' folder so that structure doesn't ook like 'forum/phpbb/*.files' but just 'forum/*.files'... if the directory u choose to upload files to is 'forum'...

Wow thanks for the information! Nice tutorial.