xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dooga

What Day Is The First Day Of The Week? What do you think?

What day is the first day of the week?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've had many arguments with my friends and the most difficult question to answer is what the first day of the week is. Today, I will get a forum over 6000 people to vote for what I will consider as fact (or not but anyways). There are some reasons you might argue for each side.

Why it could be monday.

Well, you know how people say that god created earth and rested on the last day? And what day do we get a day off too (other than saturday?)? Wow! You are smart. Yes, it's Sunday. So most likely, Sunday is the last day of the week, hence the first day is Monday? Right, it sounds logical!

Also, if you speak a different language, especially asian languages, you'll notice that Monday is sometimes pronounced as "One Day" and tuesday as "Two Day" etc. .. I wonder why Monday is "ONE"?

What about the first day of school? It's on monday!

Why it could be Sunday

Lets see... look at your calendar for just 2 seconds (or 5 if you have bad reflexes) and just look at how sunday is positioned on the first day of the week (the leftmost day of the week). Wow! It's the first day of the week, sunday!

Log into Yahoo, Hotmail or whatever. Click on "Calendar" (if you are lucky, Hotmail won't make you pay for it). Now... look in yahoo... "Choose the first day of the week"... it's set default to Sunday (you can change it to monday)... I guess Sunday is the defualt set by Yahoo people! It's the first day! Yay!

Hopefully, this may have helped you choose your vote... I'll be back...

Regards

~Dooga

It doesn't matter which day is called Sunday or which day it starts the week. I believe that in the working force market, a day to rest before starting the grilling 5-6 days of labor followed by peaceful, restful 2 days and on and on is what the world decided. If the week started on Wednesday (the current middle of the week) then Tuesday would be the resting day or Monday and Tuesday would be the resting day. Because, if you figure, the world would want people to work at least 5-6 days anyway. Then naturally to make it easier for people to remember, the working days would fall in the middle of the calendar week, leaving the first and the last days as resting place. The name "Sunday" was given from the Biblical context the Creator rested on the 7th day, a.k.a. Sabbath. Some people feel that the 7th day rest falls on Saturdays. Either way you argue and whatever the name shall be called, the working week will always have the REST day, followed by 5-6 working days. I think the North America is the only country where schools are closed on Saturdays (correct me if I'm wrong).So I?m voting for Sunday, the current start day of the week, because it's a resting day before starting the work week.PS Dooga, I?m moving this to Debates section.

It doesn't matter which day is called Sunday or which day it starts the week. I believe that in the working force market, a day to rest before starting the grilling 5-6 days of labor followed by peaceful, restful 2 days and on and on is what the world decided. If the week started on Wednesday (the current middle of the week) then Tuesday would be the resting day or Monday and Tuesday would be the resting day. Because, if you figure, the world would want people to work at least 5-6 days anyway. Then naturally to make it easier for people to remember, the working days would fall in the middle of the calendar week, leaving the first and the last days as resting place. The name "Sunday" was given from the Biblical context the Creator rested on the 7th day, a.k.a. Sabbath. Some people feel that the 7th day rest falls on Saturdays. Either way you argue and whatever the name shall be called, the working week will always have the REST day, followed by 5-6 working days. I think the North America is the only country where schools are closed on Saturdays (correct me if I'm wrong).

So Im voting for Sunday, the current start day of the week, because it's a resting day before starting the work week.

PS Dooga, Im moving this to Debates section.

173811[/snapback]

Good info with the Sabbath, but isn't Saturday the Sabbath? Sunday is now celebrated for certain reasons as the day of rest instead of Saturday now due to certain Scriptures like Hebrews 4:7-10. I'm about 90% sure that Sunday is technically considered the first day of the week.

I've had many arguments with my friends and the most difficult question to answer is what the first day of the week is. .

It depends on the country . In Israel it is on Sunday since their rest on Saturday(Sabbath). In Islamic countries the first day of the week is Sunday since they rest on Friday . And in Christian majority countries including Russia and all former Rebublic of Soviet Union , the first day is Monday since their Sabbath is Sunday . I don't know what in China and India.?

Also, if you speak a different language, especially asian languages, you'll notice that Monday is sometimes pronounced as "One Day" and tuesday as "Two Day"  etc. .. I wonder why Monday is "ONE"?

I know Arabic language, the Sunday in arabic is Ahad i.e "the first" and Monday "Ethneen" i.e two, Tusday is "Elhalathaa" i.e three, Wensday is "Arbaha" i.e four, and Thursday is "Khameese" i.e the fifth. But Fridy is Gomha i.e gathering (in pray) and Saturday is "sabat".

Notice from serverph:
fixed quote tags.
Edited by serverph (see edit history)

I also voted for Sunday. If you would have asked me 10 years ago I would have said Monday.Growing up catholic I was taught that Sunday was the Sabbath (the day of rest = the last day) But since I have gotten older (and gotten away from catholicisim) I have learned that, like Kasm said, that the sabbath in Hebrew is Saturday. Not only that but I have noticed that Saturday "feels" like a day of rest, and Sunday seem like a good day to prepare for the upcoming work week.Maybe I just finally slowed down enough to listen to what my body is telling me.

My vote goes to Sunday. Why would anyone want the first day of their week to be the one where they are plunged back into work or school? I certainly don't. I like the feeling of Sunday - relaxing and a time when you can prepare everything that must be done that week. Plus, isn't Saturday night like a farewell celebration to the week you just went through? Meh.. now I'm just rambling.

It's an interesting question, but it varies by region. I guess I've always thought of Sunday as the last day and Monday as the first because Sunday just seems like that day when you lounge around and rest up, whereas Monday you actually start doing things.

It's an interesting question, but it varies by region. I guess I've always thought of Sunday as the last day and Monday as the first because Sunday just seems like that day when you lounge around and rest up, whereas Monday you actually start doing things.

173957[/snapback]

You would think it would be Monday for those reasons, but I guess Sunday's always been the first day of the week. I don't know why. It makes more sense to me to have two days of rest at the end of a week than one at the beginning and one at the end. Something more to look forward to, you know?

I'm Indian, and I'm pretty sure that we think Sunday's the first day of the week. Don't quote me on this. We also have a lunar calendar we go by for religious things, so I'll have to ask my parents or something @_@

Haha, this topic confused me already -_-

My vote goes to Monday as the first day of the week while Sunday when God rested according to Christian faith is the last day of the week. This is how universally being used and it is quite convenient as well. Like God rested on the last day, we rested on Saturday and Sunday and the first day of the working day starts from Monday. Meaning the second day-Sunday in which you rest along with Saturday isn't the first day. It is rather the second day and finaly day of the resting day before you could begin the first day of another cruelling week. -_-Most of you have said about Western countries, Islamic traditions, Judaic traditions, so on and so forth. India is a pluralistic country, muslims rested on Friday though most schools will remain open on this day, while Hindus, Sikhs, Christians and Budhists will rest most likely on Sunday. Hindus, much like Christians usually go to temples on Sunday en mass. 'Weekend' I like this word. We take rest from all kinds of works on 'weekend' and enjoy good - quality time with friends (not foes -_- ) and family and relatives. That's how I also want to spend weekend... I really don't feel like spending the first day of the week Sunday to be that kind of day... :P Its the last day which I often enjoy.... and from Monday all works begin..... Or do you begin your week by resting which is on Sunday.. For me I begin by working on Monday... :lol:

My vote goes to Monday as the first day of the week while Sunday when God rested according to Christian faith is the last day of the week. This is how universally being used and it is quite convenient as well. Like God rested on the last day, we rested on Saturday and Sunday and the first day of the working day starts from Monday. Meaning the second day-Sunday in which you rest along with Saturday isn't the first day. It is rather the second day and finaly day of the resting day before you could begin the first day of another cruelling week. -_-

Most of you have said about Western countries, Islamic traditions, Judaic traditions, so on and so forth. India is a pluralistic country, muslims rested on Friday though most schools will remain open on this day, while Hindus, Sikhs, Christians and Budhists will rest most likely on Sunday. Hindus, much like Christians usually go to temples on Sunday en mass.

'Weekend' I like this word. We take rest from all kinds of works on 'weekend' and enjoy good - quality time with friends (not foes -_- ) and family and relatives. That's how I also want to spend weekend... I really don't feel like spending the first day of the week Sunday to be that kind of day... :P Its the last day which I often enjoy.... and from Monday all works begin..... Or do you begin your week by resting which is on Sunday.. For me I begin by working on Monday... :lol:

173972[/snapback]

Well, don't get me wrong, I consider Sunday the first day of the week, AND the day on which to rest. I see Saturday as that 7th day God rested on but He spoke of another day to come and in honor of Christ's resurrection we rest instead on the 1st day. However, I think what matters is that you set a day off to rest and honor God (although you should every day, this just means no work and devoting all time to Him). I'm just discussing this concerning which day of the week should be considered first. *shrugs*

Well, the only reason I thought sunday was the first day of the week is because my parents told me that... but I really don't know if there is a real answer...

People are saying that Sunday is a rest day to prepare for the week ahead. So, logically, the week starts on Monday with "preparation" on the final 2 days for the next week.

Lets see... look at your calendar for just 2 seconds (or 5 if you have bad reflexes) and just look at how sunday is positioned on the first day of the week (the leftmost day of the week). Wow! It's the first day of the week, sunday!
Log into Yahoo, Hotmail or whatever. Click on "Calendar" (if you are lucky, Hotmail won't make you pay for it). Now... look in yahoo... "Choose the first day of the week"... it's set default to Sunday (you can change it to monday)... I guess Sunday is the defualt set by Yahoo people! It's the first day! Yay!

Also, calenders shouldn't really define your way of thinking. Just because there is a trend to start calender weeks on Sunday, doesn't really mean that's right. I always find calenders annoying because you have to keep jumping from start to finish when thinking about weekends. ;) I don't really have a reason for this way of thinking, it's just what I assumed was logical.

P.S.

I think the North America is the only country where schools are closed on Saturdays (correct me if I'm wrong).

Great Britain does that too :o .

Making Sunday the first day of the week completely SUJCKS!Think of it... Sunday is all the way on the left of the calendar and Saturday is all the way on the right? What was the guy who thought of this smoking when he actually thought of it? It brings you down, completely destroys your morale by cutting your lovely weekend days to the two opposite sides. Its wrong! you don't have 1 weekend day at the beginning of the week and one weekend day at the end of the week... you have TWO weekend days at the end of the week! Two lovely days to go out camping, fishing, swimming, picnic, whateva...