xisto Community
serverph

Parked Airplanes (as Seen On Googlemaps) help me count :P

check out this google map with lots of airplanes parked:

google.ca/maps/preview?q=air+force+bas0&start=0&hl=en&source=newuser-ws

can you "guesstimate" (a combination of guess and estimate -_-) how many of these parked planes are there? zoom out a bit, or pan across the adjoining spaces to count some more. :P

I would guestimate there are a lot of them :P No, seriously, I'm unable to count them since they dont fit my 19'' when trying to see all of them (scrolling to count them makes me lose myslef).

172461[/snapback]

I did a lot of zooming and panning, and think I've come to an answer:

The number of air planes in that picture is... 1276 (give or take a few)

I tried to get a real number here for you, because I was curious myself. I actually spent most of this afternoon looking through google maps at different things around the world. I can't remember what the site was called off hand right now, but it was like a blog with links to all sorts of neat things you can find in the google maps -_-

Speaking of airplanes, I have a picture of Google capturing an airplane in mid-flight: https://www.google.com/maps/preview?q=duchesne+ave0&start=0&hl=en&source=newuser-ws

And midnight, it's amazing that you actually tried to count....and get a number that high. -_-

172485[/snapback]

Yea, I have no life... and I know this! Anyway, that is very cool, on my seach through tons of google maps today, I came to this page that shows a plane flying just off from the Tokyo Airport. It's a very clear picture!

https://www.google.com/maps/preview?ll=35.573209,107604&t=k&hl=en&source=newuser-ws

Notice from snlildude87:
When posting links, you don't need to wrap it around the url tag. IPB does that automatically.
Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

Dude, no. Just....no.You guys have way too much time on your hands, and way too many planes in your pictures.(No, but really though, that's awesome. -_-)

Interesting Find! -_- About 2 days ago, I'm even got link where Googlemaps shows a US Carrier ship and a big cruise ship near anchorage. Unfortunately I forgot where I got the link :P

Yea, I have no life... and I know this! Anyway, that is very cool, on my seach through tons of google maps today, I came to this page that shows a plane flying just off from the Tokyo Airport. It's a very clear picture!

https://www.google.com/maps/preview?ll=35.573209,107604&t=k&hl=en&source=newuser-ws

172486[/snapback]

Hey! I'm not special anymore. Before your post, I was the only one who had an airplane in mid-flight.

Bah! Your's is better anyway. More clearer.

You know, some of them are not real at all. Take a look at the other sides and you'll see that some cast shadows but the ones that are aligned up perfectly in straight line do not cast shadows as the rest of them do. I figure since these photos can compromise US Air Force Base's security and the National's, the photos were edited to reveal more/less than what it is. And some airplanes are like from the days in 60's.

Anyone see any of this stuff as a major security risk? I mean, if there were some guys lookin to plan an attack they could get a full layout of a minlitary base? Seem shady to anyone? Someone mentioned before that this might be one of the things that people are afraid of Google for allowing. I personally think its pretty killerNice job on gettin Area51 by the way =P