xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
psychiccyberfreak

Dhtml Menu That Reads A Database

Because DTHML is client-based and not server based, it can not grab information from a database. DHTML can not read db's nor can it handle db's.It's bested if you made a PHP code that would read the SQL db and then use some echo statements to create that DHTML menu. hth,whyme

hey psychiccyberfreak!
i think this link can help you what "whyme" said is correct that you can use DHTML as the frontend and then use asp or any other server side script to read all the content.

the link which i am posting is basically an ASP DHTML driven menu.

i think this link can help you what "whyme" said is correct that you can use DHTML as the frontend and then use asp or any other server side script to read all the content.

You could use some of the functionality outlined in that article, but imho, you'd be better off ditching DHTML menus in favour of a full CSS-driven alternative as the code that needs to be manipulated by the database would be far simpler.

Check out Suckerfish dropdowns for an excellent CSS example.

As they said, dhtml is client side code, so in order to achieve database connections you need other kind of programming, like php, jps, asp, but not only do you need to program in any of these languages, but you need your server to support them. Xisto supports php, which is also free if you install a local server in your machine.

In the Mambo content management system, there is a module that makes dropdown javascript menus. I forgot what it is called, but I got it from Mamboforge. I don't like it because the menus slide out instead of just appearing.