xisto Community
faith

How Do You Get The Icon? The icon on web browsers??

In alot of websites i see, they have custom little icons, like Xisto, im using IE and in the little browser bar on the left on the home page, itts a custom icon, and its the same thing in my favorites menu, some sites with just regular ones is the little E with the page in the backround, and i was wondering how do you get it custom?

<link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="icon_name.ico">

Place this in HEAD section.

But this is work only when someone add you page to favorites. SOMEONE know how to do working icon even if site not added to favorites ?

--------------------

Practice is when evrything work but no one know why.
Theory is when work nothing but evry one know why.
Programmers join Practice with Theory - nothing work and no one know why -_-

<link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="icon_name.ico">
Place this in HEAD section.

But this is work only when someone add you page to favorites. SOMEONE know how to do working icon even if site not added to favorites ?

--------------------

Practice is when evrything work but no one know why.

Theory is when work nothing but evry one know why.

Programmers join Practice with Theory - nothing work and no one know why -_-

172165[/snapback]

Okay, that is cool, so does that mean, that if I added that code to my site, and someone put a shortcut link to it on their desktop, it would be the icon I choose? That would be pretty neat. Or will that only work too if the page has been bookmarked?

Hey dude... Do this.. :

<html> <head>  <title> Favicon.com - custom icons for your website!</title>  [b]<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="favicon.ico">[/b] </head> <body>   <!-- Your HTML contents here --> </body></html>

There's always so much misinformation spread every time the topic of favicon has come up, and it comes up pretty often.

Kraam, it is an ICO file, not a PNG.

Guangdian, I never have any idea what you're trying to express.

The two dudes with code are both correct, but their solutions may not work for all browsers. Here's a cross-browser solution I learned a long time ago:

<link rel="icon" href="http://domain.com/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon"><link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://domain.com/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

Make sure you name your file "favicon.ico". It definitely works for Internet Explorer and Gecko-based browsers [Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, Konqueror, generic Linux browsers, etc]. Be warned that IE is always finicky about these icons, though.