xisto Community
wild20

Life After Death? Is there?

That is very true biscuit. Although, I also used to beleive in something like reincarnation, which is someone being reborn after death (for those who do not know), and I still kind of do. I mean, if I don't beleive in a 'heaven' and 'hell' as we think of it religously, you could think of it as being reincarnated, heaven, and not, hell. All of this would support the scientific fact that matter, and most likely life for that matter, that biscuit brought up earlier.God, it is too early for me to be typing alot so I will stop here. lol

That is very true biscuit. Although, I also used to beleive in something like reincarnation, which is someone being reborn after death (for those who do not know), and I still kind of do. I mean, if I don't beleive in a 'heaven' and 'hell' as we think of it religously, you could think of it as being reincarnated, heaven, and not, hell. All of this would support the scientific fact that matter, and most likely life for that matter, that biscuit brought up earlier.

God, it is too early for me to be typing alot so I will stop here. lol

171168[/snapback]

I agree to that BlaqueMajik, if there is only one life to live, then why bother?

Heaven to me is when you live and learn the true lessons of life, we go one "level" (or dimension) up and if we fail to this, we stay in this "level" (or hell) and have to learn it again, maybe even more, without the knowledge we have been here before.

My 2 cents...

I dont believe that there is life after death. I just believe that Catholic way by saying that after i die ill be judged and if good, my spirit will go to Heaven.

you didn't have any life before you were born, what makes you think there is life after you die.

this has always been my mantra when I'm arguing "life after death" scenario's .... if people need to believe they'll live on after death in order to cope with Death itself, then so be it .... I'm all for coping mechanisms .... but I personally believe that when we die, that's it .... GAME OVER! ....

it's interesting to read the posts above though .... many of you who have some kind of religious belief seem to still have doubts about life after death .... I'm quite suprised at that .... I thought you'd have a blanket faith on this subject .... glad to see that you have a faith but can still challenge some of its components .... :D

I think that the only way we live on is in other people's memories ....

Posted Image

This indeed is very controversial topic, where we can argue until we die, if there is life after death.. I personaly, do not believe there is life after death. I study medicine, and I think of myself as a girl of science. I am not particularly religious, technicaly, I'm half Catholic, half Orthodox, but I don't "practice" neither..

One, and only one thing we are certain about death, is that when someone dies, they are gone. And they are gone for good. Now, wether some form of their soul has left for heaven or hell or nirvana, or wherever, we CAN'T know. And WE probably never will.. And by we, I mean us, the living ones.. I guess, when we die, we will know what happens, if there is life after death, we will see where our soul goes, or, if there is no life after death, we actualy won't care, and again, we will know, just won't be aware of it.. Life is short, and very fragile, and we should live it to the fullest, cherishing every day what we have, and focusing on doing good things. Basicaly, trying to ne happy, and making someone else happy in the process if possible ..

It's all about being good person now, when it makes difference.. I mean, when we die, I don't think there is much more we can do to change things (this in case there is life after death).

So, my general message to all people, no matter what their religion is, is:

BE GOOD PERSON NOW, DO GOOD THINGS, BE KIND TO OTHER PEOPLE, AND TRY NOT TO HURT ANYONE, SPECIALY ONES YOU LOVE AND HOLD DEAR. JUST TRY TO BE HAPPY, AND TO MAKE AS MUCH OTHER PEOPLE AS HAPPY AS YOU. Believe me, it feels very, very good, to know you changed someones life, by just making them smile, and be happy, even if it is just for a short period of time..

I agree with Milovoriel, the only way I believe we live on after death, is in other peoples memories.. Our actions will leave mark on others, and that is how we will live on.. So, try to make a difference, try to leave that mark, your personal touch, on something, and that way, you will live for as long as people remember you, and that, in my opinion, is all that matters.. Making difference..

That's about it :D

I believe in an life after death. Though I do fear death very much, I believe God has a special place for me along with everyone else. He loves and cares for anyone. I also believe he does not hate the gays or anything, but loves them as much as he loves anyone else. Probably the only reason people say God doesn't like the Gays is because they themselves are homophobic and don't wanna be near any gay person, even though they are just like you or I. Im getting a little off topic. So lets get back on topic. I do believe there is an afterlife but it is pretty hard to believe it exists, because the only way to get there is by dying. You cant take a spaceship there or anything. And yet it exists because God made it exist. But where is it exactly. Another universe? Is it really another world far out in another galaxy? Who knows? Only the people who have died. And as it goes, Dead people tell no tales. Meaning they cannot report you to the cops or anything. But in this case, you cant ask them if there really is a heaven or hell. Or if you really do get reincarnated. Or if you get barried in the ground and thats the end of your story. But I do want to know which one of those happens. For I fear death and would like to know what happens after you die before it happens to me. Reincarnation gives you another chance at life, but think of it now. You will not have the same mom or dad or the same family. It will be different. If your an only child now, you might have little brothers or sisters or older brothers or sisters. Or if you have younger or older siblings you might end up being an only child. And you would never see your loved ones from your last life again. And if you die and get barried in the ground than you will not see anyone or anything ever again. And if there is a heaven and hell, and you believed in God at one point and stop believing in God before you died, you might get locked out of heaven. Not exactly getting sent to hell but not getting to go to either. And if your loved ones went to heaven than you will never see them again. But I would rather have reincarnation or go to Heaven. Than I would be happy. But make I would be happiest in Heaven if my family went there.

I believe in reincarnation. Well more in the indian boxes way.If you only do good deeds in your first life, in your enxt life you will become wealthy. If you are an evil person in this life, you will become so poor you can't buy food,etc. That's how i see it

I see I chose a very good debate. However, I see a problem. So far only one person who believes in life after death has given evidence, which was a article that barely holds water. No offence. Acidify, walking the earth as ghosts is life after death. But the bible states clearly the "dead know not anything". Zaccid, I see you are a non-believer that refuses God's love because of the pain aroung you. Let me ask you something, parents love their children, but sometimes when the child asks for something that may not be good for them, the parent will often say no. This may cause a common problem called a tantrum. Now, tell me, does that prove that the parent doesn't love them? No. You also have to realize that it is satan, not God, who is the proble.

I see I chose a very good debate.  However, I see a problem.  So far only one person who believes in life after death has given evidence, which was a article that barely holds water.  No offence.  Acidify, walking the earth as ghosts is life after death.  But the bible states clearly the "dead know not anything".  Zaccid, I see you are a non-believer that refuses God's love because of the pain aroung you.  Let me ask you something, parents love their children, but sometimes when the child asks for something that may not be good for them, the parent will often say no.  This may cause a common problem called a tantrum.  Now, tell me, does that prove that the parent doesn't love them?  No.  You also have to realize that it is satan, not God, who is the proble.

171980[/snapback]

But that brings me to the point of "why should the bible govern your innate reasoning and logic"? We all need to get outside the box a little more and say "What if it's possible?" sometimes. A book, no matter what book it is, is merely a book. Printing and words, no matter what the words are. It can't think for you, can it?

Back on topic: I firmly believe that there will be another life for us - not necessarily our cells and our soul, but more of our organic matter - the stuff that used to be us a long time ago. In that sense, life is possible. My religion does dictate that there will be an unending cycle of lives for those who cannot make do with only one. I really don't know what to believe from it since I do love being a Hindu, but I'm also fond of science and exploration.

i think life after death is a wonderful thing to believe in so that people will do good things in their life now so recieve the rewards of the after life...i am not exactly sure about it, and i have no exact way to prove if there is one since no one i know that has died can come back and tell me if its so...i guess it sone of those things you either believe or you don't and will find out when you die...unfourtunately...you can't come back and answer the question

biscuitrat, it says in the bible we ought to obey God, rather than men. If you go by the bible, what can go wrong. After all, people often think up "ideas". That doesn't make them right. If the bible says something that goes against what people say, like now, than we should go to the bible and stick with that. As I always say, the bible is our sole authority here on earth.

But that's what I'm saying - I'm not Christian so I have different views on society, most of them being that we are able to think and act for ourselves and affect our own lives.

we are able to think and act for ourselves and affect our own lives.

172133[/snapback]

I agree.. If the bible was really, REALLY, the only authority on Earth, then we would all be Christian, and follow the bible, without question. But we are not. So, how can you say it can be sole authority on Earth? It MAY be sole authority on Earth, but what about other people?

We have our own will, we have the ability to think for ourselves.. Why not use it? Why should we constrain ourselves to one book? The book, by the way, that no one knows for certain who wrote, and why, and where she/he got the ideas?

Anyone has answers to these questions?

The book, by the way, that no one knows for certain who wrote, and why, and where she/he got the ideas?

172950[/snapback]

Yes! That's the question I wanted to ask. Who wrote the bible? I have nothing against the religion, but let's take a look on several things. First thing you notice about christianity (orthodox or catholic, or any other division) is:

- if you don't believe in God, you go to hell

- if you don't do things our way, you go to hell

- if we don'y like you, you go to hell

and the main thing is: hell is a very bad place, where you suffer for whole eternity!

Now, someone earlier wrote, that God doesn't sentence you to eternal damnation BECAUSE you're gay, for example, but because Satan is inside you. Now, my question is: why doesn't God exorcise Satan from that person, and ban Satan back to hell, and admits that person to heaven? If indeed he is allmighty, and can do everything. Why does God punish someone, just because he or she couldn't resist Satans temptations? By baning someone based on this, God is actualy sending a message that may sound like:

"You are weak, and I don't want you here in heaven, where all is beautiful. Instead, I condemn you to eternal suffering in Hell"

[ I have stated fairly harsh views on religion, so if anyone gets offended by such texts, don't read on ]

Now, I'm sorry I have to say this, and deeply appologize if this offends anyone, I am just thinking out loud but... Doesn't that sound a little rasist and fascist to you? Didn't Hitler, and many more before him, and after him, do the things that way? I'm not saying that God is rasist or fascist, but it certainly can look that way...

Now, when I take into consideration that bible was written by people, for reasons unknown, I can safely say, that chances of what I said earlier, are increasing. I'll explain.

People have the need to believe in something. It's not a bad thing to believe in something, we all do that, even us Atheists believe in something. Now, someone very smart, figured it all out, and came to a briliant idea: why not use that need to believe in something, and control certain amount of people? I know, it sounds crazy, but bare with me for a while. I think bible is based on some real events, but eenhanced with imagination. And who can claim, with certainty that noone changed the bible since it was first written? Who can say, that someone, took the original bible, based the new one on the original, used some of the good stuff, and added some texts that are supposed to frighten people, and force them to believe in something. It is very possible, is it not?

Take another thing into account. Churches are EXTREMELY wealthy, and I do mean EXTREMELY. Why don't they use it to help feed the hungry? Are not prisets, men of church, the ones saying we shouldn't have any earthly posesions? And what about them? Why do they keep stashing money, and other valuables? Why do you think catholic priests were not allowed to marry? So that all the wealth, remains IN the church, in the institution... I don't even want to mention all the sexual abuse, made public, or covered up, that goes on in churches (both orthodox and catholic, and possibly other churches as well)? And don't tell me, those priests were corrupted by Satan. I don;t want to hear it. Are not those people supposed to be of very strong will, to resist the Satan? And if they were corrupted by the Satan, how can we know if others are not corrupted as well? If whole church is not corrupted?

I can go like this for a long time... But, it does make you think, doesn't it? I believe maybe, very long time ago, religion was very good, and very positive thing. Then, someone used it for it's own benefit, and now, religion is only pale image of what it used to be... It's still positive, and good thing, but not as it used to be...

And again, I went off-topic... But this topic can't exactly stay on track for a long time, and it indeed is very good debate... The point is, only proof we have of what happens when we die is: we dissolve into ogranic elements that we were made of in the first place... Life for us, true us, doesn't go on. But, it does go on for us, the elements that make up life...

That's what we know for certain, and that's what I believe. No book can think for me, not the Bible, not the Kur'an, nor Hindu religious books, or any other book, holly or not. Period.

We think for ourselves, and have our own oppinions. If we weren't supposed to do that, God wouldn't have given us that ability, now would he?

I agree.. If the bible was really, REALLY, the only authority on Earth, then we would all be Christian, and follow the bible, without question. But we are not. So, how can you say it can be sole authority on Earth? It MAY be sole authority on Earth, but what about other people?

We have our own will, we have the ability to think for ourselves.. Why not use it? Why should we constrain ourselves to one book? The book, by the way, that no one knows for certain who wrote, and why, and where she/he got the ideas?

Anyone has answers to these questions?

172950[/snapback]

God didn't make us robots, He gave us the freedom to choose Him or not, else we wouldn't really be loving Him. And He created us to have a loving, personal relationship with Him.

Read Acts 17:11 if you're under the notion that blind faith is involved for some reason and that God doesn't want people questioning the Word.

And there's far more evidence for where the Bible came from and its authority then any other great work of literature in history.

Yes! That's the question I wanted to ask. Who wrote the bible? I have nothing against the religion, but let's take a look on several things. First thing you notice about christianity (orthodox or catholic, or any other division) is:

- if you don't believe in God, you go to hell

- if you don't do things our way, you go to hell

- if we don'y like you, you go to hell

and the main thing is: hell is a very bad place, where you suffer for whole eternity!

Now, someone earlier wrote, that God doesn't sentence you to eternal damnation BECAUSE you're gay, for example, but because Satan is inside you. Now, my question is: why doesn't God exorcise Satan from that person, and ban Satan back to hell, and admits that person to heaven? If indeed he is allmighty, and can do everything. Why does God punish someone, just because he or she couldn't resist Satans temptations? By baning someone based on this, God is actualy sending a message that may sound like:

"You are weak, and I don't want you here in heaven, where all is beautiful. Instead, I condemn you to eternal suffering in Hell"

[ I have stated fairly harsh views on religion, so if anyone gets offended by such texts, don't read on ]

Now, I'm sorry I have to say this, and deeply appologize if this offends anyone, I am just thinking out loud but... Doesn't that sound a little rasist and fascist to you? Didn't Hitler, and many more before him, and after him, do the things that way? I'm not saying that God is rasist or fascist, but it certainly can look that way...

Now, when I take into consideration that bible was written by people, for reasons unknown, I can safely say, that chances of what I said earlier, are increasing. I'll explain.

People have the need to believe in something. It's not a bad thing to believe in something, we all do that, even us Atheists believe in something. Now, someone very smart, figured it all out, and came to a briliant idea: why not use that need to believe in something, and control certain amount of people? I know, it sounds crazy, but bare with me for a while. I think bible is based on some real events, but eenhanced with imagination. And who can claim, with certainty that noone changed the bible since it was first written? Who can say, that someone, took the original bible, based the new one on the original, used some of the good stuff, and added some texts that are supposed to frighten people, and force them to believe in something. It is very possible, is it not?

Take another thing into account. Churches are EXTREMELY wealthy, and I do mean EXTREMELY. Why don't they use it to help feed the hungry? Are not prisets, men of church, the ones saying we shouldn't have any earthly posesions? And what about them? Why do they keep stashing money, and other valuables? Why do you think catholic priests were not allowed to marry? So that all the wealth, remains IN the church, in the institution... I don't even want to mention all the sexual abuse, made public, or covered up, that goes on in churches (both orthodox and catholic, and possibly other churches as well)? And don't tell me, those priests were corrupted by Satan. I don;t want to hear it. Are not those people supposed to be of very strong will, to resist the Satan? And if they were corrupted by the Satan, how can we know if others are not corrupted as well? If whole church is not corrupted?

I can go like this for a long time... But, it does make you think, doesn't it? I believe maybe, very long time ago, religion was very good, and very positive thing. Then, someone used it for it's own benefit, and now, religion is only pale image of what it used to be... It's still positive, and good thing, but not as it used to be...

And again, I went off-topic... But this topic can't exactly stay on track for a long time, and it indeed is very good debate... The point is, only proof we have of what happens when we die is: we dissolve into ogranic elements that we were made of in the first place... Life for us, true us, doesn't go on. But, it does go on for us, the elements that make up life...

That's what we know for certain, and that's what I believe. No book can think for me, not the Bible, not the Kur'an, nor Hindu religious books, or any other book, holly or not. Period.

We think for ourselves, and have our own oppinions. If we weren't supposed to do that, God wouldn't have given us that ability, now would he?

God divinely inspired men through the ages to write the Bible we have now and preserved it, providing tons of manuscripts and archaeological evidence to back it up. There's a good portion on where the Bible came from at the end of Halley's Bible Handbook but since it isn't online and is quite a few pages long I'd just as soon not type it all out if I don't have to. I may end up doing so during this topic later...

As for Christianity, it's what the Bible says that matters, not what someone thinks that matters.

We are all sinners and sent to Hell for ANY sin, which is why the whole world is guilty before God (Romans 3:19). In 1 Kings 8:6, 2 Chronicles 6:36, Ecclesiastes 7:20, etc... it says that noone does not sin. Christ Himself says there is only one good, and that is God (Mark 10:18).

Long story short, what decides whether we get into Heaven or not is simply whether or not we have been saved, i.e. repented of our sins, trusted in Christ alone (who died and rose again to save us from them) to save us by His death on the cross (and not good works, Mary, the pope, etc...), and accepted Him into our life as Lord and God.

Salvation is not about demographics, saying you're a Christian doesn't make you one any more then going in a garage makes you a car. Salvation is a heart transaction between you and God where you are spiritually born again and given a new mind, a new heart, and a new Spirit, where God comes to dwell in you, forgives you of your sins, adopts you into His family, etc...

God being a just, holy, and righteous God is forced by His very nature to condemn any sinner to be separated from Him, and the only place left to go is a place the Bible calls the Lake of Fire. When we as a race chose to spurn His love and what He had in store for us, we brought this upon ourselves. God in His love made a way for us to escape this, He came in human flesh to pay the penalty for our sins. The only way we get into Heaven is by trusting in that payment to save us rather then anything we or anyone else can do. Pretty simple, huh? Problem is, people don't like to think there's nothing they need to do, they want to think they need traditions and rituals and all sorts of good deeds to get in. And by doing so they don't place their trust in the only One who can save them, Jesus Christ.

The Bible claims from the beginning to the end to be the inspired, infallible Word of God Himself, which is one of the things that seperates it from all other writings. The burden of proof thus is not on it but on others to prove otherwise. And in 2000 years now there still isn't anything concrete for people to throw out there and say "Aha, this shows otherwise!"

You say all churches are wealthy. I happen to know this isn't true. I heard a statistic about how Independent Fundemental Baptist churches make less then any other denomination but give more to missions then any other denomination or something like that. It might've even been more then all other denominations combined.

I'm going to come right out and say it, I believe the Catholic Church is Satan's greatest instrument and the Babylon (Revelation 17 & 18) or imposter church the Bible speaks of. Christ said few will find the path to life but many will come to Him in that day claiming to be His only to be told He never knew them (Matthew 7:13-23). Simply judging by the few/many contrast most of those who call themselves Christians will be either liars or deceived.

Christ said by our love for others will all men know we're His disciples (John 13:35) and in Romans 13:10 we see love is the fulfilling of the law BECAUSE IT DOES NO HARM TO OTHERS. My question to you is why you would think those who do harm others and thus do not love are Christ's disciples?

Romans 12:17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

You are right about one thing, God meant us to think for ourselves. Just read Acts 17:11. The Bible directly calls "noble" those that genuinely question God's Word as long as they do so with "all readiness of mind" and an earnest heart that seeks truth.

The Bible directly states it is God's truth and there is no other, then challenges you to question it and hold it up to all other so-called truths.

That's the wonderful thing about truth -_- It's like light, hold it up to darkness and the light is revealed. Truth doesn't need to hide from lies, but by the revealing and comparing of knowledge is truth revealed. When you see someone who uses charachter assassination or stubbornly refuses to listen (hardened heart) it's a safe bet they believe a lie, for truth does not fear to stand up to lies, as light does not fear to stand up to darkness.

John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

And so you see, evil hates the light and doesn't come to it. Liers will refuse genuine open conversation and instead will try to invalidate the words of others by attacking the person.

I wish I could find this one thing for "Cults" where the C stands for Charachter Assassination I think but I'm having trouble finding it :lol: