xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
areawe

What Is So Great About Firefox? is IE going down the tubes?

I like both IE and Firefox, although I'll lean more towards Firefox because you can customize it, it's open source and it's very secure. On top of that, I found that it can load many of the websites that I frequent much more quickly than IE.

Yes, i know about that, but there are many lazy people out there.

So when you get a new program, you never look around it and find out what it can really do. Did you know that if you type google bla in the address bar it will run a google search for bla? I found out that by playing around with some of the features :D

Why did you quote: free?

What moonwitch said. Also nothing microsoft makes is free - unless it doesn't work or is a trial version. And microsoftantispyware is beta. They will make you pay for it when it's done.

Microsoft is a company which cares about sticking a price on unfinished products. I challenge you to find me some free, legal microsoft software which isn't in it's beta or trial stages.

Why did you quote: free?

Another, perhaps one of the main reasons why I quoted free was because it's included in the price of Windows, not free, but they just like to make out that it is :D

god i don't know who still uses ie on pc. I mean only those who enjoy spyware i guess. the thing just lets everything in i guess that's why people are pushing of ie still. too many people are making way to much money off of spyware. I'm a web designer aswell and i still think that firefox is better. I've heard rumors that they're going to get rid of ie. most people working at micro soft use firefox
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I wouldn't probably be using Firefox if friend didn't show me this browser last year. I was becoming kinda of web designer at that time. And when making websites I was making it thru Internet Explorer. But results in Opera and Firefox were bad. So i met with web standards.So first important thing about Firefox is webstandards. I renders web site like it should be rendered.Then you can use Tabbed browsing with Tabs. You don't have like millions of openned windows in your Taskbar. So it is more tidy.I will not talk about security like Firefox is the king in that area. Cause hackers find security holes everyday. Internet Explorer is out on the market for longer time, so it was more exposed and tested for security issues. But I must say I haven't had any viruses for one year now. This is result of using Firewall and Kaspersky antivirus. Also Firefox has good pop up protection. So I must say Firefox is better then Internet Explorer.I especially like download manager and DOM Inspector in Firefox. Dom Inspector comes handy when working and creating websites.Extensions are another good thing in Firefox.I like Graphical User INterface and Search Bar in Firefox. If you download it for your language you get Slovenians and other major search engines toolbar already installed.I like this browser very much.

...most importantly, Firefox has never crashed on my computer, unlike IE which seems to crash every half hour...

167557[/snapback]

Yup, I agree with you there!

By the way, how many times have we seen this topic arise on these forums, it's quite annoying and the same answers come each time...

Answering your question, Firefox has a great download manager, so, if you download 5 things at once, you don't have seperate windows open, just the one, with the 5 downloads in that window.

Another huge thumbs up to Mozilla Firefox :D

Wow, allot of great responses! I'm on the fence really. I hate to clutter up my machine with another browser, but it looks like that is what I'm going to have to do. There are some strong points made here about the benefits of using Firefox, or at the very least have it as a secondary browser for designing websites. I'm especially interested in the tabs feature. That sounds awesome! I hate trying to flip through all of those annoying browser windows. Firefox and IE do display web pages drastically different when CSS is involved - I'm not sure who to blame, but it sounds like maybe Microsoft. LOL! My sister has Firefox and it's always frustrating for me when she looks at a web site that I've been working on and it's totally messed up! *Grumbles* Guess I better go download Firefox... I've been an Internet Explorer user for so many years. Well, this should be an adventure. :D

You know, my compaq didnt come with IE. It came with Netscape, o_o. I went to microsoft.com and downloaded IE for free.

The last I knew 98% of people were using Internet Explorer, so as a web designer, I really only had to worry about Internet Explorer displaying my website correctly.

You're clearly not really a web designer if you hate to clutter up my machine with another browser and don't know that the reason your sites look OK in IE and not in FF is cos IE is a non-standards-compliant browser whereas FF and Opera and Mozilla are.

If you're a web designer, you should have as many browsers as possible installed so that you can test your site in all of them. Anything else is just not doing your job properly.

And you should be using FF as your primary testing browser, not IE, because, as I said above, IE is not standards compliant. IE7 may be (no-one's really sure yet), but IE6 and earlier definitely aren't.

As to the original question:

1. Themes

2. Extensions

3. Tabbed browsing

2. is the most important one cos there's so many different extensions that it just puts FF in a different realm from IE.

You're clearly not really a web designer if you hate to clutter up my machine with another browser and don't know that the reason your sites look OK in IE and not in FF is cos IE is a non-standards-compliant browser whereas FF and Opera and Mozilla are.

If you're a web designer, you should have as many browsers as possible installed so that you can test your site in all of them. Anything else is just not doing your job properly.

And you should be using FF as your primary testing browser, not IE, because, as I said above, IE is not standards compliant. IE7 may be (no-one's really sure yet), but IE6 and earlier definitely aren't.

As to the original question:

1. Themes

2. Extensions

3. Tabbed browsing

2. is the most important one cos there's so many different extensions that it just puts FF in a different realm from IE.

167796[/snapback]

Does that make you feel good about yourself when you cut down someone else? :D

Does that make you feel good about yourself when you cut down someone else? :D

No, but I see a lot of people on this forum passing themselves off as web designers when they clearly aren't and as someone who has spent a number of years working in various roles for web-related companies, I feel compelled to point out that you're not a web designer just cos you've made a couple of sites - you've got to earn your stripes.

About ratio of usage between Internet Explorer and Firefox. I made a capture of statistics for my website. You can see it here. It shows unique visitors, so it is irrelevant if somebody with Gecko or IE has clicked my page one thousand time. It has clearly shown that ration is somehow 55:45 for Internet Explorer. This doesn't show true market ratio, but I makes my face to smile when I see people are using browsers other then Internet Explorer.

I switched to Firefox because of recommendations and because I was fed up with the spyware problems I was having with IE. Whenever I would open up IE, even to google, I would watch as spybot would stop at least 3 different toolbar installations, and 4 registry changes, even without me clicking on anything. So far. in the 3 months since I started using Firefox, I haven't gotten a single mailcious program trying to change my information on Firefox, or touching my registry. I also really like the way the Firefox utilizes it's extensions, and themes, which allow me to customize Firefox as I choose, in the ways that I choose. Overall, it has made my life a lot easier than the hassles I had to go through with IE.