xisto Community
Zaccid

Microsoft HDD Space

Well time for a little "venting" I think ... something that is really annoying me at the moment is the fact that just the other day I bought a new Hard Disk Drive (HDD). I spent $105 Australian $ on an 80GB drive ... only to install and format to get 74.53GB ... I think it is stupid that they remove 5 1/2GB of Disk Space. It really annoys me when companys feel and do get away with things like this.I didnt spend that amount of money to get a 74.53GB HDD ... I spent that amount to get a 80GB HDD.Microsoft "Blah" to you.

it just because there is a different count way by microsoft and hdd company.by microsoft 1024K=1Mby hdd company 1000K=1Mthen of course: 1024M=1G by microsoft 1000M= 1G by hdd companyso there is the problem with you.nothing worried about that.Guangdian

Yeh I know that microsoft takes some mbs or gbs away from your harddrive. It does that to me all the time when I format the harddrive and the space is taken away.

I know what you mean. The amount of space advertised is not always true. After buying two computers with "80 GB", they all came with around 5 gigs less. I have no idea why, but my best guess is backup issues. :-/

it just because there is a different count way by microsoft and hdd company.

by microsoft 1024K=1M

by hdd company 1000K=1M

then of course:          1024M=1G by microsoft

1000M= 1G by hdd company

so there is the problem with you.

nothing worried about that.

Guangdian

165318[/snapback]

seems to me that you are correct...but if this is true then the hdd companies are not correct because it is always 1024 mb = 1gb not

100 mb = i gb

well it is pretty obvious why you come with less disk space, how do you think the os is running, the amount of disk space taken is used to run the computer and all the files and what not to run the programs needed to use the computer.

This happens with all HDDs. The company that makes them and the company selling them, whether that be on their own or part of a computer package, use a 'metric' system of 1000MB to equal 1GB. Microsoft actually do something right for once and use the value of 1024MB to equal 1GB. Therefore you will lose 24MB for every GB on the hard drive. Also, once you format it a file allocation table is added, which can take up a huge amount of space.

This happens with all HDDs. The company that makes them and the company selling them, whether that be on their own or part of a computer package, use a 'metric' system of 1000MB to equal 1GB. Microsoft actually do something right for once and use the value of 1024MB to equal 1GB. Therefore you will lose 24MB for every GB on the hard drive. Also, once you format it a file allocation table is added, which can take up a huge amount of space.

165428[/snapback]

Umm...how exactly does a hard drive lose 24 MB?? That doesn't make any sense at all since you said that 1024 MB is equal to 1 GB.

What you are seeing is called 'weasel gigs' and as has been previously mentioned is due to the harddrive manufacturers calling 1000Mb 1Gb.

So:

1bit -- The smallest data representation.

1nibble = 4bits

1byte = 2 nibbles

1Kilobyte [Kb] = 1024b

1Megabyte [Mb] = 1024Kb

1Gigabyte [Gb] = 1024Mb

1Terrabyte [Tb] = 1024Gb

1Petabyte [Pb] = 1024Tb

Etc

What I'm trying to get at is that for once this isn't a microsoft issue, you would have this same problem under osx, linux, solaris, strand etc its not software, its the harddrive manufacturers skimping.