xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
electriic ink

How To: Create And Install Your Own Cursor a step by step guide

How To: Create And Install Your Own Cursor

a step by step guide using animation shop (a program free with paint shop pro)

Requirements:

Animation Shop (can be found on the same disk as Paint Shop Pro)

Any image

Are you displeased with the cursor you've got? Are you dissatisified with those cursors you downloaded from that site? Then this tutorial's for you. Read on...

Create or download your favourite image off the web. Open it in some image editing software (ie Paint Shop Pro) and resize it to 15x15. In Paint Shop go to Image --> Resize. Enter 15 in the width box and 25 in the height box. Your image should now be about so high and so wide:

Posted Image

Save the image as cursor1.jpg in the My Pictures folder. You can create more images if you wish to create and animated cursor. Save these as cursor2.jpg, cursor3.jpg etc

Open animation shop (File --> Jasc Software Products --> Launch Animation Shop ) and hold down the keys Shift and A. The animation wizard should come up:

Posted Image

Click Next four times and then click add images. Locate to the My Pictures folder and select cursor1.jpg. If you wish to create an animated cursor, you should have created more images earlier on. Add these images on now.

Click Next then Finish.

You may add any effects to your animated cursor at this time. Because this tutorial is aimed mainly at beginners, we will not go into this.

Go to File --> Save As. Locate to the My Pictures folder and call your cursor cursor. From the dropdown list Animated Cursor (*.ani) even if your cursor is not animated.

So now you have successfully created and saved your cursor. Now we are going to make it the default cursor.

Go to Start --> Control Panel

If available on the left menu under Control Panel click Switch to Classic View

Double click on Mouse

Click on the tab Pointers

Go to Normal Select and click Browse

Select the file cursor.ani under My Pictures

Click OK and close Control Panel

And there you should have it, your own cursor created and installed. Any questions regarding this tutorial?

[hr=shade]Edit (made 5/11/06 - Fireworks Night):[/hr]

Please note: This tutorial was done in Paint Shop Pro 9 and Animation Shop 3 The procedure may differ slightly from the current versions.

its a nice tutorial for people in compter design/os design, but for me makig or downloading these curors are just a waste space, last time i downloading some cursors it just came out all wrong had to spend time lining them up in order to close out on programs and that i jsut stayed with the default cursors.still a good well detail tutorial cmat----two halos XP

godglitcher, you can download the trial versions as http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/?utm_source=jasc&utm_medium=redirect&utm_term=/.As&utm_campaign=jasc for the tutorial, thank you so much, I always thought you just had to use flash and it is complicated. I will have to try this although it will probably lag my computer.

I've not created a cursor before, although has been something I've thought about doing but never actually done.I do actually quite like the default cursors which come with Windows, although if I want to use a more custom design (create one myself) this tutorial will help out a lot.Thanks for sharing, I might try it sometime just to see whether my cursors would be any good!

I never really knew about that. That's a good tutorial. I am going to have to try it out when I have a bit more time. I think the little arrow gets old after a while although after downloading the Vista Transformation Theme pack thing it is a little more spiced up atleast when pages are loading. I might make a baseball or something. It could be a bit of fun but I'd end up changing it too much to change things up a bit from time to time.

Please note: This tutorial was done in Paint Shop Pro 9 and Animation Shop 3 The procedure may differ slightly from the current versions.

[hr=shade]Ugh I had an awful theme back then :blink: Btw, yes I have tried it and it works perfectly fine[/hr]

if only it was in photoshop ;( but Ill see if i can get it to work anyway. Its nice for a website because its not THAT common to have people create their own cursor instead of like downloading. So, this kinda adds some charm to it :P I think ill make a pretty little guitar pick cursor for my website.But guys remember: try to keep your cursor simple and not too blinky and flashy... It can get really annoying. You want to make people like the look your website not become nauseous (sp?) thanks to a strobe-light cursor :P

The more geeky way of installing cursors without the software support is creating your own .ini installation file.

I found this file on http://www.deviantart.com/. I don't know the API but it may help those who wants to be a 'lil geeky!

; xFree cursors for Windows XP.; Win 2000/XP Alphablended Cursor Scheme installation file.[Version]signature="$CHICAGO$"[DefaultInstall]CopyFiles = Scheme.Cur, Scheme.TxtAddReg	= Scheme.Reg[DestinationDirs]Scheme.Cur = 10,"%CUR_DIR%"Scheme.Txt = 10,"%CUR_DIR%"[Scheme.Reg]HKCU,"Control Panel\Cursors\Schemes","%SCHEME_NAME%",,"%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%pointer%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%help%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%work%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%busy%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%cross%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%Text%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%Hand%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%unavailiable%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%Vert%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%Horz%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%Dgn1%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%Dgn2%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%move%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%alternate%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%link%"; -- Common Information[Scheme.Cur]Normal Select.curHelp Select.curWorking In Background.aniBusy.aniText Select.curUnavailable.curVertical Resize.curHorizontal Resize.curDiagonal Resize 1.curDiagonal Resize 2.curMove.curLink Select.curPrecision Select.curHandwriting.curAlternate Select.cur[Scheme.Txt]Readme.txt[Strings]CUR_DIR	   = "Cursors\xFree Cursors"SCHEME_NAME   = "xFree Cursors (Alphablended)"pointer	   = "Normal Select.cur"help		  = "Help Select.cur"work		  = "Working In Background.ani"busy		  = "Busy.ani"text		  = "Text Select.cur"unavailiable  = "Unavailable.cur"vert		  = "Vertical Resize.cur"horz		  = "Horizontal Resize.cur"dgn1		  = "Diagonal Resize 1.cur"dgn2		  = "Diagonal Resize 2.cur"move		  = "Move.cur"link		  = "Link Select.cur"cross		 = "Precision Select.cur"hand		  = "Handwriting.cur"alternate	 = "Alternate Select.cur"