xisto Community
ckuehner

First Computer You Ever Owned What was the first personal computer tha

well i got my 1st computer in 2001......17th July 2001 to be exact....i was 13 yrs old then.....and i used it till 23rd March 2006.....i gave it to my mom's brother (my uncle)....cause i lived in INDIA but now i am in THE U.S........so i had to give it up......i will be getting a laptop here very soon....the specifications of the old computer are as follows---1.6 Ghz, 256 MB RAM, DVD CD-RW COMBO Drive(SONY), DVD-RW Drive(SAMSUNG), 40 GB Samsung Hard-drive...and some more normal things..............

Man I remember my first one. An Apple IIe+. That thing was cool. I could make it moo like a cow. I t was cool for learning basic programming and what not. But ya know what? Aside from flat panels, home computers have not gotten that much smaller. I mean my Apple IIe+ is about the same size of my Dell Dimension.But I lvoed the thing. it's what got me into the computer field.

Hmm...I never touched it, but our family's first computer was some MS-DOS one that was apparently really big. My dad got it the year after I was born. After that...we got some IBM that my dad later sold for around 500 dollars. Then we had a windows 3.1 which I thought was so cool cause I could play ski free and mahjong or something and Chips challange...then we got a windows 95 hewlett packard and we had that canon creative thing...then a windows 98 with like, 64 mb of ram and 12 gigs of space. I had that computer up until january of this year. I wonder what computers are going to be like in the future...

My first one was a top of the range computer. All i remember of it was it was windows '95. i started learning HTML on it. i still got it laying around my room. Now i think about it when i got it i must have been like 6 or 7.

All you people make me feel old :) First computer? That was way back in 1977 when my father bought an Apple ][. Years later, in 1982, we upgraded to an IBM 5150, better known as the IBM PC. In ran at a super fast 4.77MHz, had TWO 5.25" floppy drives (no hard drive), a massive 64k RAM, monochrome monitor and ran MS-DOS 1.1 (and I still have this machine to this day. It still works). I did not upgrade systems until 1991 when I purchased an 80286 running at 12MHZ with 1MB RAM, 40MB hard disk, both 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives, VGA graphic adapter with Paradise chipset and 256k onboard memory, 8-bit soundblaster card, VGA monitor with maximum resolution of 640x480 256 color, MS-DOS 3.3... it had the works! This machine cost me $1600 and I still have the receipt but not the computer.

Edited by True2Earn (see edit history)

First in the family was some old thing that I dont even know what is called... I do remember that we had another shortly after that - I must have been around three - which ran windows 3.1... Arn't these things amazing, how it has changed so freaking quick over the years? At least the one I have now does not bleep every time I hit a key. I miss SkiFree, however...

Hello.

My first personal computer was a 286 @ 16MHz with 4 MB RAM.

I had a 1/4" FDD and a 80MB caviar HDD. I can't remember what my graphics card was.

I still have the motherboard (KP-286HF)

Here is some detailed info about the motherboard.

CPU: 80286

CPU Speed: 16MHz

Chip Set: SUNTAC

Max. Onboard DRAM: 5MB

Cache: None

BIOS: AMI

Dimensions: 230mm x 223mm

I/O Options IDE interface, floppy drive interface

NPU Options: 80287

Go here and take a look.

PS. Does anyone know in what kind of computer, a AMD R80186 was used ?

I have one and i'm not sure from where i got it

This is written on it's back side.

"the AMD Logo"

AMD

R80186

846AXKL

(M) © INTEL 1978

This is how it look's like

Posted ImagePosted Image

Well this may be a pretty long story but............Basically the way I got mine is because my dad owns his own business and office. It is a small business so he only needs about 6 computers. The good thing is every year or so, he upgrades to the newest computers to keep his work updated with the most compatible software.So one day he gets about 4 new computers in and that happens to be the day that I go into his office. And guess what, I’m just like, “Dad, what are you going to do with that computer, and that one too?” And he was just like, “Well, I don’t use them anymore, so I guess you can have them.”So he brings two computers home. One of them was crap. It was like an old Pentium III HP Pavilion but I took that apart a long time ago and made a better one with extra parts. But the other one was a pretty nice HP Pavilion a250n. That happens to be the one I am working on right now. I recently upgraded from the single master 120GB hard drive and added in a slave 40GB hard drive that I had sitting around. It has a 64MB nVidea video card which works good enough for me. I can play Call of Duty 2 on it as well as Need For Speed: Most Wanted.I am just getting ready to buy a new 20.1” monitor and a new computer that is compatible with Windows Vista in the next year or so. The monitor I am looking at is the LG L203WTX Black-Silver 20.1 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor. It is very nice according to the reviews and is on sale for a price of $499. I just wish I had enough money to buy it right now and a new Vista compatible computer as well. Well, now you all know my story of how I attained my computer. My laptop is a whole other story. Maybe I will tell you guys another day.

Edited by brautigam (see edit history)

Mine was...Computer Brand: HPProcessor: Intel Inside 500MHz (if i'm not wrg)OS: Windows 95RAM: 128MB (if i'm not wrg)If u were back in the old days, this computer was considered advance. Amazingly, I still keep that computer @.@.... I sometimes use it. Compare to my current 3.0GHz and 1GB RAM comp, it's really slow..... I didnt feel it was slow back in the old days...

The first computer I EVEr used was... I THINK on Windows95, though not sure...It had like 256Mb hard drive, 32Mb RAM, actually had a CD player, though, it was mostly useless. It had a 3.5" floppy, your standard PS2 jacks for mouse/keyboard. Not sure what it had for video, but had tons of games installed. All of which you had to open from DOS, lol.The first computer I really used is still up and running, 250Gb hardrive, but since it's on WinME, it can only handle 170Gbs... 198Mb RAM 3Mb video, CD and 3.5" floppy.Great computer for Linux, though haven't gotten it on it yet.

MY very first computer... Lol all i have to say about it that is was niceIt had dail up on it but i didn't use interent a lot, now i use it 24\7 (ya.. some times i use it in my dreams) =D

Yeah i was using Dos 1.4.1 when i first started to use a computer and i quickly moved on to windows 4.3. I had i believe a 50 mhz computer with 250 mb harddrive. I can clearly remember playing a game called hugo on a floppy disk.

My first computer was a windows 95 when it first came out.Im not sure about the system spec.s because I had no knowledge of computers back then. They're just like towers with a bunch of magnets and wires in them.That thing only lasted for about a year till it got attacked by viruses out of nowhere.