xisto Community
k2wl

Windows Xp Freezes At Welcome Screen

Similar problem and SOLUTION!Problem:computer got really slow and then blue screened and immediately shutdown on its own. I was able to read "ntfs.sys" before it shutdown. I believe this was caused by a bad connection btwn my laptop and my laptops hdd. I know it is a sketchy connection and I had just moved it when this happened. Every time since when i boot i get to the welcome screen(i only have one user and no login screen) and it freezes. I left it on overnight last night and nothing happened. my solution:I took a XP install cd and went into the recovery console. I replaced the ntfs.sys file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers with one from the cd. but that didn't solve the problem. I then went back into the recovery console and ran chkdsk with the repair flag which i belive is \r. It took a while and jumped from 75% to 50% twice but it SOLVED IT. I read a few posts about this happening in laptops and i believe it has to deal with the hdd jolting around and data skipping out or something like that.well there ya have it. I highly suggest backing up your stuff incase it happens again.

I have come across this before but I have one question, does it freeze the moment you touch a key, or after you release it? If after, then try to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del twice and see if you can get into the administrator account or something. Next suggestion: If it?s a desktop, disconnect your dvd drive/ cd-rom drive, or whatever cd thing you have and start it up. If that still doesn?t work, disconnect your hard drive and clean out the contacts, then reconnect it. My last suggestion would be to load the system setup in the beginning of the computer, usually by pressing F1, check to see if the ?slaves? and ?master? drives look accurate. Well, that?s my 2 cents, see if it works!

It happened to me a while ago and what i did was i pressed alt+ctrl+del at the welcome screen and windows bootednormally.-Broy

I have exact same problem and no solution. Just happened to me yesterday after I removed an old version of Microsoft Office. I only had Word, Excel and Power point installed, but it was from MC Office for Windows 98. I installed it about 6 months ago. I recently got a legitimate copy of Office 2000. I uninstalled the old MC Office and restarted when I was prompted rather than wait later.Ever since I get the welcome screen but no way to login with my password. Tried safe mode F8, but I can't log in. Mouse cursor still moves on welcome screen. I never made a start up disk (be gentle).-Brian

If you issues still persistent then please post a copy of your services list here.Boot your system with windows xp cd and select the recovery console.You will be prompted for the name and password of the Local Administrator. Type all data in and hit the enter key.( If you have multiple windows exists on your computer. You have to choose which one you have to login by press number )At the console window please type listsvc then copy down all the information that was displayed on the screen.

the problem is obviously software side.that happened to me after installing a proxy changer (can't remember the name, but it's one with a light-blue interface).Anyway, i runned linux drive cd, mounted the disk, removed the program from startup and it worked.Try that way, or run a windows xp live edition (there's one right?) and defrag the disk.Good luck~ Jo?o Lopes

i did not understant what you are saying but i will provide some assistance1.on boot loading-the boot.ini has problems2.on account login-logon.exe has been modified3.after login-problems in explorer.exe4.if you can access the hard drive from other pc (insert it)enable hidden file open boot.ini and choose login screen instead of welcome screen

Same same... .but different.

I'm in the middle of upgrading my the HDD on my old(ish) PC. I ghosted the main 20GB to an 80GB disk (have a small form factor so can only have one HDD and one DVD-ROM drive at a time.

My original disk still boots and runs fine, buy the new disk starts OK, gets to the Windows XP Splash screen, it goes black (quicker than normal but still the disk still ticks over), then the screen comes up there's a dark blue header and footer on the scree with a light blue body in the middle and a Microsoft Windows XP Logo on the screen.

Normally, under this there's white writing which says "Windows is starting up" and then it goes to the screen to tell me to logon, but instead it freezes at the blue screen with the Windows XP Logo on it. All HDD activity stops. I can ALT+TAB and find that there are 2 things running called "Log on to Windows" and "Windows Logon", as soon as I ALT+TAB into "Windows Logon" the PC's frozen for good.

There's no difference if I do this in SAFE MODE or any other option from the startup menu... Same result. Even VGA mode. The image is as perfect as I can get it, have made the image with 3 different programs and the same result. The only change in hardware is the disk itself (the 80GB instead of the 20Gb).

Have run Windows XP repair and run chkdsk /are and repaired any errors, but still no difference. Have tried with the absolute bare minimum of things installed and still no difference

At a loss, so need help. If anyone's had this and fixed it, would appreciate some help.

I'm not too stuck, as my original disk works perfectly, but it's getting to be a pain.

Cheers,

Steve

-reply by Steve Norton

Windows xp set up

I recently did a recovery on my computer. I am stuck in the set up as my mouse will not click on "next". I was at the welcome window and happened to hit the "enter" key and it went to the next screen that checks the sound. Now I am stuck again. Can anyone help? Thanks.

I got a crap comp. From a hock shop...Anyway, it sometimes goes to a blue screen saying "windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"blah blah blah. I fixed that(it didnt list a problem) and CHKDSK /f deleted two "orphan files"(I dunno what that is) Anyway, when it logs into the blue "welcome" screen, a sound comes on (a low beep),an error message comes up and dissapears very quickly, I can't read it.. I don't know what to do and I need help! it isn't password protected and I have all sorts of games on there and I want them back! I have no xp re installation disk!-question by Blain

I have the same Problem (right now looking for soutions)One "dirty" solution:Just shut down pc (power button for some time or pull the plug)And start it up again.After a few times it dosn't freeze then you go into one account And reboot normally.-reply by Richard

that question

Try this: set you harddisk to stand vertically, yes, get those screws off and let it stand, your harddisk might have been damaged, ive had that problem before (but I recommend you also buy a new hard disk instead)

-reply by Oh Yeah!

From what i see u can do this:Check if u have too many startup processes.If so and u dont need some of them:Go to Start >> Run >> type in MsConfigThere you can easily disable startup processes! <_<cheers