xisto Community
k2wl

Windows Xp Freezes At Welcome Screen

problem with logonWindows Xp Freezes At Welcome Screen

I have basically the same problem. I have a passworded account (admin), and a non passworded account. My computer will freeze at the login screen, however if I can quick with my password I can sometimes make it to my desktop. I have found that by opening task manager and hitting end process on SYSTEM it doesn't kill SYSTEM, and stops the freezing (I know this sounds weird and I have no idea why I thought of doing it).

However, you have to do this every time you log on, and it also has a major negative effect, my sound went away. The sound device is still working "Properly" and all that other stuff. And I have reinstalled the driver to get it to work again, and I have gotten the sound back, only to find that I am still freezing and need to go ahead and kill SYSTEM again, and lose my sound until I reinstall the driver for the pleasure of hearing only the login music and then losing it again due to my obscure prevention of the freeze.

I have also tried going on the non-passworded account. This one had sound when the other had lost it, but it quickly froze, and I am again stuck.

I don't suggest killing SYSTEM, I'm just saying its what I do just to use my computer. Also I found that if you can get your password in, moving the mouse around erratically during the load somehow increases your chances of completing the login.

I'm gonna try some of these solutions and see if any help

-reply by sameprob

Have the same problemWindows Xp Freezes At Welcome Screen

I downgraded from vista to xp pro and every now and then the system freezes at the welcome screen, what I have to do its to force it to shut down (holding on to the power button) and then it will start up normally, any ideas to why this happens?

-reply by ALex

Xp startup fail...Windows Xp Freezes At Welcome ScreenI have same problem with all above.My account doenn's have any pasword, but in welcome screen, there's only win XP logo in center of the blue welcome screen, and I can't do anything...I've forced it to shut down, tried the last known good configuration, tried to use safe mode, but it look same ...><...Anyone can help me please, I've reinstall it for five times this week ...><...TQ for the response...-reply by Dan_Cerz

You don't have to reinstall XP, you can do a repair install if you really think you have to do that.

I have a similiar problem, but I get past the welcome screen. I'm gettin stuck when the background comes up, no icons etc.

However its not doing it every time. 

-reply by Dingdong

Wow dudes! Exact same problems here with my 4 year old laptop. Its been rendered totally useless and the "funny" thing is it all happened so quickly. About 10-15 days before it became totally unbootable my computer would randomly freeze and I would have to reboot constantly. I finally gave up and purchased a new computer which set me back around $800. My "old" laptop(again only 3-4 years old) had cost me $1800 and was top of the line back then. Pathetic!Even more pathetic is that few people can actually help you when you most need it. Not to mention you gotta wait over a week just to get a courtesy reply! What ever happened to all those computer geeks who could hack nasa and get away with it? Oh I forgot they charge $300 an hour and are off limits to us lame ducks...We aren't worthy I guess!Thats it, I'm done buying expensive computers only to trash them after a few years. This is my 3rd computer in less than 10 years! I simply can't afford this avenue any longer. Sorry dell, sorry ibm, sorry compaq! The cheaper the better is the new motto in the 21 century. In fact from now on I am gonna purchase a used computer every time my "old" computer breaks down...MEGA PISSED!-reply by TotalChaos

Replying to iGuest I have the same problem, it freezes at the logo, there is no box to even type a password. This happened after removing a HDD that I had just repaired for a friend. Now his is fine, and I'm stuck with this. If you have another drive you can install XP on, in the same computer, (slave drive) and make it the master by cable select or the jumpers on the back of the drive... Boot with the fresh install and have your origional configured as the slave drive.. Now not only can you SAVE YOUR FILES to the fresh drive.. You also have a better chance of repairing your origional drive with a working Operating System. It may sound complicated, but it's the only thing I have came with so far. At least you can save everything (in most cases) if all else fails. The one down side if your like me and have GBs of software installed, everything will need to be re-registered from the software provider. You can also run most programs you installed from your origional drive, but again, programs like DVD X Copy, Nero Burning Rom, FL Studio I'm sure, ect.. Will require you to re-reg before it will run. Good luck to all, hope this helps. DJ Agitator-reply by DJ Agitator

Shuts at boot screenWindows Xp Freezes At Welcome Screen

I wake up  this morning and I found my PC with this problem: The monitor shows the booting progress up to the Windows XP boot screen after that it shuts down.RAM, HDD, Power Supply is good. Help pls. Thanx.

I got this problem too.Windows Xp Freezes At Welcome Screen

My laptop is 2 yrs. Old. Hp pavilion dv9000. Windows xp.

when it comes up to the welcome screen, it freezes at the logo of windows xp. I can only press f2 or f10, I don't have a button to go to safe mode (I don't know why). My laptop doesnt have a password to log in so I don't know whats the problem. Before this occur, all of my applications stopped working, so I thought it was better to restart the laptop, but when I did, this happen.  I'm not a big computer person, but I do have someone who does it for me, but I'm out of the state. what can I do without loosing any of my files. 

-reply by jerry

Waste CadetsWindows Xp Freezes At Welcome Screen

Total Chaos - your thoughts are, for want of an alternative expression, total chaos. Why would a hacker, least of all a hacker of NASA-breaching standard, be interested in your corrupt HDD? All those random freezes are likely the cause of the HDD corrupting - you should have fixed it before it came to that. It doesn't take much to hit https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl --> "help my laptop keeps freezing"... Replacing your entire laptop (not even just the HDD!) and modifying your entire PC purchasing ethos seems crazy. You're obviously more likely to encounter problems with worn, second hand gear, and you won't get any warranty. Finally, cheap is usually bad in the computer world. I buy second hand stuff all the time, but not because of a HDD problem I couldn't fix.

Anyway... I'm sat here in a similar scenario. I can get to XP loading screen --> blue screen --> startup options --> XP loading screen --> blue screen etc. I just made a slipstreamed XP CD with SATA drivers to run the recovery console... Diagnostics in BIOS came back fine, so I'm thinking the file system has been corrupted somehow. Interestingly, my problems started after my battery died. One hard shut down too many, me thinks? I'm waiting on CHKDISK /R... Fingers crossed.

-reply by DD85

Toshiba Satellite Freezes at the welcome or once desktop loads!Windows Xp Freezes At Welcome Screen

IIve had my toshiba for 2 years all of a sudden it just stopped loading windows.  Well it gets to the welcome screen and I enter my password then it freezes or loads into windows and I cannot touch anything even Ctrl+Alt+Del does not work I push it it goes to a DOS or Command Prompt mode and starts listing the same three things  REALTIK something and MEDIA LINK FAILED then is reboots and asks if I want to repair so I click Repair and then I wait 10-15 min only for it to say that it cant repair whats broken. Then it continuously reboots and freezes until I get fed up and just terminate power.  I tried safe mode and all that but nothing can get windows working. No clue what to do and I don't wanna pay for a new hardrive by the time they find out whats wrong and fix it the cost will be the same as a new comp what a ridiculous system

-reply by james

Computer FreezeWindows Xp Freezes At Welcome Screen

The basic reason for system freezing is "corrupted files" (assuming you have not installed any new Hardware or Software).

First try running "Check Disk" (chkdsk /f ) f = fix, r = repair

from "Safe Mode" (about 3secs after System Startup hit the F8 key several times)

(to get Check Disk command info go to a "Command Prompt" and type (chkdsk ?))

If Check Disk does not fix it then you will have to do a "System Repair" from the Windows XP

Startup Disk (do not confuse this with "System Recovery" from the "Recovery Console").

Hope this helped some.

-reply by Henry L. Tillman (ITEC)

Frozen Blue Laptop ScreenWindows Xp Freezes At Welcome Screen

I left my computer at my moms house and today when went and picked it up it wasn't working properly but just a few short days ago everything was fine. Now, once I cut it on the windows xp pops up with the little loading bar and goes straight to the blue screen so many of the suggestions that people are making can't be used in my case, so what should I do? do you have any suggestions or clues as to what's wrong with my compaq evo?

-question by Albert

I removed my laptop hard drive, took it to a friend who has an adapter that allowed me to use it with a USB port on my desktop.  Ran OfficeScan, found a Trojan named "CRot" -- didn't take me long to figure that one out!

At present, I am reloading windows in repair mode!  Hope that works. 

Good "putin'" folks!

Try inserting a "non-automated" (standard) slipstreamed with the service pack...Windows Xp Freezes At Welcome ScreenReplying to pawitpHello Pawitp, I just ran across this post from some time ago. If your still on this system and get this, can you please elaborate on your post? Thank you.Here is what you wrote:"Try inserting a "non-automated" (standard) slipstreamed with the service pack you have. And try a "repair" install (It should come up with a list with "Windows XP Professional (Or home)") And the list comes up right after the "Detecting Any Previous Version of Windows" on the progress bar"My question is what is a "non-automated (standard) slipstreamed..."? I have created slipstreamed Windows install disks, but would like to learn a few more tricks along this line...Thanks again.-John-question by John

problem with windows xpWindows Xp Freezes At Welcome Screen

today I start my pc in windows xp and found that xp freezes at welcome screen.Then I try to boot in safe mode but the problem persistsThen I again try in last good configuration setting but it doesn't help so I hav to reinstall my xp Please any body hav solution for this so that I do not hav to reinstall my xp for this problem as I get this problem

-reply by sandesh