xisto Community
k2wl

Windows Xp Freezes At Welcome Screen

first is it always on the welcome screen? have you reinstalled exp and it freezes? or you have suddenly a chance to go through it normally but suddenly happens again?if this is your problem: the answer is very simple: your power supply is failing you! replace it now! <_<

Windows XP freezes on welcome screen

My box has the same issue, halts normal/safe mode at welcome screen. Box worked fine today until I installed some windows updates from MS. Tried the power down and remove PW source...No luck. Tried boot from last known good state...No luck. Running the chkdsk now, next will be the repair from CD. MS KB site only has one issue similar to this and they say it's related to the hibernate, which I have disabled...So there you go.

-reply by Bit O Bytes

Windows XP freezes on welcome screen

Replying to Trap FeedBacker

Well after 36 hours of searching various tech, support and posting sites this is what I've discovered. It wasn't my userinit.Exe file being corrupt as many sites mentioned, as I expaned the orginal file from the XP CD with no luck. It does however have something to do with the gina.Dll (modified) file or msgina.Dll (OEM) along with the winlogon.Exe file having corruption. I did a repair with the XP CD and recovered the box with no data loss. I do recommend that while in the recovery console with access to the drive that one copies the WPA.Dbl file to be replaced after the repair is complete while in safe mode to avoid having to do the MS product activation via phone as I had to do. It only took a few minutes but if there is a work around why bother. Also HD was highly fragmented after repair and took almost 3 hours to complete using O&O defrag (200GB HD), but box is as good as new. Hope this helps someone else.

-reply by Bit O Bytes

windows xp freezes at welcome screen

Why would it be a power supply issue?

Well, I am having a simular problem at the moment, I went out and bought a 160GB HDD, and cloned my 80GB which had my OS on to the 160GB, and I found it is freezing on the start up screen (before the logon screen) after running a ghost on my machine, yet I boot of the old hard drive, I can boot, but not of the new one. I am trying to avoid a re-install of the OS, for one simple reason, by the time I re-install, and set the OS up, with all the programes it can take me a while to do, I like to set my machine up for pure stability, and pure gamming. This is the first time I have rebooted in nearly 8 weeks.

-reply by Lee B

Registry

Replying to Trap FeedBacker

I would have to start by checking registry for errors. Any new video cards or high velocity hardware added? If so, any old hardware replaced can leave behind their own little ghosts. Sort of phantom search. A good registry cleaner will remove these ghosts. Just dig deep before you choose one. Some can remove TOO much if not careful. With the same thought in mind, power supply may need to be boosted to compensate. This is a cheap fix, and easily performed.

-reply by Vyper

Replying to xecBad idea as this give internet hackers full access to your machine when you hit a hacked web site. Always use a password, never connect to the internet without one.I also have this issue since the March patches and know of many others. Seems to be prominent with an AMD processor or NVidia Card.-reply by ramcody

Hi,

I would like to have a detailed explanation of the above said by "Trap FeedBacker"... That was something pleasing as I am now facing the same problem...

This would be of much help to me... Thanks in advance...

-reply by Mark Valentine

today i start my pc in windows xp and found that xp freezes at welcome screen.then i try to boot in safe mode but the problem persisits
then i again try in last good configuration setting but it doesn't help so i hav to reinstall my xp plz any body hav solution for this so that i do not hav to reinstall my xp for this problem as i get this problem oftenly. thanks

Well, Instead of reinstalling the whole system you could,
just put in the system dish and wait, restart the computer than you would wait and when that disk loads you find the recovery disk part and click it than wait for it to load than you enter the admin's password and the rest is self explantory, Well that would work, but if it dosen't than you wll have to go to a pro for help. Now you wished you had backed up your work and files, Right. Well since you face this problem offten than get a hard drive and use that as a backup storage so even if you reinstall your system, no files are gone, becaues you backed uo the files.

WIN XP FREEZE @ SPLASH SCREEN

I ran into this same problem on my Co-workers personal PC. It boots up

But when you get to the Win XP Spalsh Screen it scans then freeze. It was

Able to work in safe mode, but thas's it.

I did system recovery, changed video card, power supply..Still no joy.

I believe this is caused by a bad sector. Hard Drive going bad...No one

Seems to have the solution. Pls contact me if someone finds out...

-reply by Diego

re: Windows Xp Freezes At Welcome Screen

I had the same problem, you need to update your windows from microsoft update, this is how you can avoid the problem and update...

When turning on your computer, just continue as normal, don't go into safe mode, wait till the welcome message comes on, now, as your windows has frozen on the welcome page, press "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" OR "ctrl-alt-del", the windows task manager will come up, go to "Shut Down" but don't shut down the machine, just go to option, then select "LOG OFF *Admin*" or what ever name you use, then enter the same again, ctrl-alt-del till the task manager is up again, log off admin...Etc, keep on doing that, until "End Program -explorer.Exe" appears, just hit "End Now" or "end task", it will then log you off, then you just double click on your name for instants "admin", enter your password if you have one, then you should have log on normally without a problem.

Hope this helps with your welcome freeze page or desktop freeze page.

Replying to k2wl

-reply by Mark

Windows XP error at Welcome Screen

Hi!

Last night I was downloading a Java 6 Update 7 and when it was completed my computer froze. When I tried restarting my computer it would start up as normal and then freeze at the welcome screen (without user log-on icon). I tried going into safemode to delete the Java Update but it would not allow me to do so, and I am unable to do a system restore because it freezes when I attempt to. I also do not have the system recovery disk so I am unable to do that. BTW I can get into safemode but I can only access the admin icon but not my usual one.

If anyone has any insight into how to solve this problem PLEASE let me know. Any info is appreciated.

-question by Leslie

When you last switched off your PC, did you hold the power off/on button for five seconds or click on the 'Turn Off Computer' button on the start menu? If you forced it to shutdown, its probably that which is causing your computer to go like this. Try reinstalling Windows XP, using the original XP setup disc [if you have it]. If not, take it to PC World or a PC-Repairing shop. Hope I helped. :lol:

Can

I have the problem of being stuck on the login welcome screen. There usually isn't even a login screen. (no pw set up) Clicking on the login loads right back to the welcome screen again. I can't access the recovery console either. It will not load from the CD drive.