xisto Community
Guevara

Should We Pull Out Of Iraq?

Should we pull out of Iraq?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think we should have even gone in. Sure we got rid of Saddam from killing innocent people but look at what we've done now, People are scared to walk out onto the streets because of suicide bombers and nothing has gotten better for a long time now.Post your thoughts here

Ok, so I am not an American, and my country never went to Iraq in the first place, but no the forces in Iraq should NOT pull out now. Don't get me wrong, I disagree with the war, I think it is an illegal war, I think Bush intentionally altered intel so that it looked like Sadam had WMD's, and I think there should be consequences for the USA's attack on Iraq. However Iraq is currently in turmoil, even if they US pulls out they will be in turmoil, in fact things would probably only get worse for a while at least. As far as I am concerned the USA has far surpassed the point of no return on the war on Iraq, they MUST finish it now and help Iraq recover or Iraq will suffer even more than it already is. That being said I think they should try and get things in order quickly and have a government in Iraq that is effective and run by Iraq people.

Ok, so I am not an American, and my country never went to Iraq in the first place, but no the forces in Iraq should NOT pull out now. Don't get me wrong, I disagree with the war, I think it is an illegal war, I think Bush intentionally altered intel so that it looked like Sadam had WMD's, and I think there should be consequences for the USA's attack on Iraq. However Iraq is currently in turmoil, even if they US pulls out they will be in turmoil, in fact things would probably only get worse for a while at least. As far as I am concerned the USA has far surpassed the point of no return on the war on Iraq, they MUST finish it now and help Iraq recover or Iraq will suffer even more than it already is. That being said I think they should try and get things in order quickly and have a government in Iraq that is effective and run by Iraq people.

160912[/snapback]

You have made several valid points. You also pointed out the very important fact that if they US were to pull out of Iraq now, that would only lead to chaos and more turmoil in the country. In fact, it would not be at all impossible that they get another radical dictator should the US pull out.

I do not agree with the statement that Bush altered intelligence to say that Saddam had WMD's. Saddam did in fact have them. If this is not true then how could he have used chemical weapons and other WMD's against the Kurds in northern Iraq. Did they simply disappear? Of course not, he had used them and was in possesion of them.

Here is one of the many links about the slaughter of the Kurds by Saddam Hussein.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

You have made several valid points.  You also pointed out the very important fact that if they US were to pull out of Iraq now, that would only lead to chaos and more turmoil in the country.  In fact, it would not be at all impossible that they get another radical dictator should the US pull out.

I do not agree with the statement that Bush altered intelligence to say that Saddam had WMD's.  Saddam did in fact have them.  If this is not true then how could he have used chemical weapons and other WMD's against the Kurds in northern Iraq.  Did they simply disappear?  Of course not, he had used them and was in possesion of them.

Here is one of the many links about the slaughter of the Kurds by Saddam Hussein.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

160980[/snapback]

Gassing isn't the same as having nuclear weapons. Hitler had access to gas chambers, he didn't have access to nuclear devices (fortunately). Also, with the Kurds, didn't the US back them and pull out of it so Saddam had free reign to kill them like that? I seem to recall the US as being responsible for that incident as well.

I think the US not only should pull out of Iraq, but needs to. The price not only in money and lives but also in the nation's reputation is growing greater.

Recently I read about this guy Feith who's now out of the government (having trouble refinding the article though :P ) who admits the WMD stuff was overstated but still supports going into Iraq. He said that if the US had just said they were going into to replace an evil dictator the war wouldn't have been able to go through.

I think this is the main point where the US erred. Since when is it alright for a US president and the government to mislead the American public? Maybe Bush and the others didn't bother to investigate for themselves the intelligence they were receiving about those WMD but if they were going to march the American nation into a war halfway around the world they should have made sure their reasons for doing so were faultless. If nothing else they have failed in this, their responsibility.

Our reasons for going into Iraq were wrong, America barely supported the war even with WMD, and without those I doubt would have allowed such a war. America does not support the war right now, there are more people who want us out then in Iraq. America has shamed itself before the international community and the least it can do, both for the world and for its people is to pull out of Iraq and save as many of its people's lives who are dying for a war started on lies, with as much grace as is still possible.

Gassing isn't the same as having nuclear weapons.  Hitler had access to gas chambers, he didn't have access to nuclear devices (fortunately).  Also, with the Kurds, didn't the US back them and pull out of it so Saddam had free reign to kill them like that?  I seem to recall the US as being responsible for that incident as well. 

161164[/snapback]

He didn't simply gas them, he used other chemical weapons and it was to my best understanding that such chemical weapons were considered WMD's. If not, then I stand corrected.

On the same subject, didn't it strike you as odd that Saddam wouldn't let the U.N. Inspectors look everywhere they wanted? That in itself was enough reason to into the country in search of WMD's.

I do agree that the loss of life in Iraq is awful and tragic, but I do not disagree with all of the actions that have taken place in Iraq as a result of the US's intervention.

He didn't simply gas them, he used other chemical weapons and it was to my best understanding that such chemical weapons were considered WMD's.  If not, then I stand corrected.

On the same subject, didn't it strike you as odd that Saddam wouldn't let the U.N. Inspectors look everywhere they wanted?  That in itself was enough reason to into the country in search of WMD's.

I do agree that the loss of life in Iraq is awful and tragic, but I do not disagree with all of the actions that have taken place in Iraq as a result of the US's intervention.

161169[/snapback]

We went in there in Iraq, we have evidence that if he was working on any WMD he probably stopped a good 10 years ago or so. Just because someone doesn't want to let you enter their country does NOT give you an excuse to declare war. I know "innocent until proven guilty" is not a reality here in the US but if it was then it would be a clear shot at that line of reasoning.

Yes, Saddam was not a great guy but lying to the American public to start a war is inexcusable, presidents have been impeached for less then that. It seems altogether possible that Saddam hated Hussein's guts and the reason there are so many terrorists there might be not only because of all the people who now hate the US with a vengeance due to a falsely started war based on lies as well as civilian casualties but also because we may have destroyed Iraq's defense against Al-Qaida by destroying Saddam's government. The forces that might once have been used to keep out Al-Qaida may well have not only stopped doing so now but may have chosen to side with Al-Qaida.

We are essentially now in an instant replay of Vietnam and our leaders are making the same mistakes they once did.

Would you be in support of the war if it were sanctioned by the UN? One of the reasons why it was voted down by nations particularly France, Germany and Russia, is because these nations benefitted from Iraq in more ways than one. There is evidence of this and that they were getting money from some sort of program established in Iraq (not sure if it was oil-related or not) that could be ruined should sanctions be brought upon Iraq and the decision made to enter Iraq with UN troops.

Yes, I think we should definetly pull out of iraq. I mean, we've got what we want, Suddam, and the others apart of the 9/11 bombings. What else do we need? It's a 3rd world country and we're "Trying" to make it better, while they're bombing us, london...terrorists. We should just pull out and leave them alone, I know it may not solve all our problems but atleast it's a start.

Well, I'm really too young and incompetent to put my two cents into a topic like this. But from a 15 year old's perspective like my own, the US should've left well enough alone. Things would sort themselves out eventually, and they wouldn't have lost innocent people due to not leaving when they were asked. But hey, what do I know?

15 years old? You're not too young. I'm only 17 and I believe that we went over there to give the Iraqies their freedom. Now that we have done that, it's time we move out of there and let them deal with terrorism themselves.My mom thinks we should just drop a bomb on them and end it the easy way. Too bad there are too many other countries just waiting for us to strike.

15 years old? You're not too young. I'm only 17 and I believe that we went over there to give the Iraqies their freedom. Now that we have done that, it's time we move out of there and let them deal with terrorism themselves.

My mom thinks we should just drop a bomb on them and end it the easy way. Too bad there are too many other countries just waiting for us to strike.

161215[/snapback]

Yeah, the US is officially the least popular country in the world, thanks in large part to all the publicity about innocent civilians getting killed by our evil troops in Iraq. If we go and drop a bomb on them even our former allies will band together to destroy us. And America is no longer as dominant a superpower as it was just 10 years ago, thanks to bad handling of the economy as other countries take jobs from US companies happy to give them.

well what most of you failed to realize though that is all about oil, its practically the life blood of the world, and since we are to deep into this conflict, it will be impossible for anyone to pull out, and also if they did the terrorists will have won, i been their myself its a sad place to be at, the middle east is a safe haven for terrorists cuz their are no rules there, and since the london bombings europe is becoming the place where the terrorists can plan everthing out and then fly our of the country as citizens, these people are smarter then they look cuz the fact that they minuplate people who have no hope for the future don't care about themselves and or anyone else.it was reported in the news that someone decided children where not important when he blew himself up, just to get a us soldier he didn't care what happen to anyone else.and the way things are going now i do believe that armageddon has begun, the world has change to the point no one can trust no one and that death is spreading like wild fires across the world.i would be surprised if i do live out my old age on earth, but i wouldn't be so cruel as to bring a child to hell cuz of all what happen beening happen for the last 4 years. even if they do capture or kill osama bin laden someone else will take his place, odds are he already has a successor, cuz the man is like in his 60' and we a;; die eventually.

well what most of you failed to realize though that is all about oil, its practically the life blood of the world, and since we are to deep into this conflict, it will be impossible for anyone to pull out, and also if they did the terrorists will have won, i been their myself its a sad place to be at, the middle east is a safe haven for terrorists cuz their are no rules there, and since the london bombings europe is becoming the place where the terrorists can plan everthing out and then fly our of the country as citizens, these people are smarter then they look cuz the fact that they minuplate people who have no hope for the future don't care about themselves and or anyone else.

it was reported in the news that someone decided children where not important when he blew himself up, just to get a us soldier he didn't care what happen to anyone else.

and the way things are going now i do believe that armageddon has begun, the world has change to the point no one can trust no one and that death is spreading like wild fires across the world.

i would be surprised if i do live out my old age on earth, but i wouldn't be so cruel as to bring a child to hell cuz of all what happen beening happen for the last 4 years. 

even if they do capture or kill osama bin laden someone else will take his place, odds are he already has a successor, cuz the man is like in his 60' and we a;; die eventually.

161338[/snapback]

Interesting to hear the oil in Iraq used as a reason to stay, I haven't heard it made an issue before. I think if you present it to the American people as either protecting oil from terrorists or protecting the lives of their loved ones in Iraq there's not going to be many going for the oil. I don't know that the oil is as important as the continuing tarnishing of our nation's image before the world. We're making more and more enemies and getting more and more bad publicity as more Iraqi civilians die in situations involving US soldiers. Some of those mines dropped by planes that Iraqi children got killed by didn't make us look too good either.

In the meantime, maybe that pig manure oil processing will come through so the terrorists don't get as much for their oil :P

Yeah, the US is officially the least popular country in the world, thanks in large part to all the publicity about innocent civilians getting killed by our evil troops in Iraq.  If we go and drop a bomb on them even our former allies will band together to destroy us.  And America is no longer as dominant a superpower as it was just 10 years ago, thanks to bad handling of the economy as other countries take jobs from US companies happy to give them.

161235[/snapback]

You are wrong in saying that we are not as well off as we were ten years ago for many reasons. Bill Clinton, I feel, was one of our worst presidents regardless of what occurred in his personal life. The only reason why the economy actually went up during Clinton's term was because of the tax cuts initiated under Reagan and Bush Senior. What few realize is that it takes time for these cuts to take effect, so it was not because of Clinton that the economy had been going up during his term. The economy only went down near the beginning of Bush Junior's term as a result of Clinton's poor handling, not his own.

Something else that few people know is that Osama Bin Laden had been captured and offered to Bill Clinton! All he had to do was accept him and put him on trial or anything, but instead he refused to take him and eventually Bin Laden was released from prison in Iran. And low and behold, who was behind 9/11? Bin Laden!

You also said that our nation is losing popularity due to our "evil troops." I simply find that to be a poor statement simply because the soldiers are not evil, they are people like you and me simply following orders. What they do, or are required to do may be evil in your opinion, but saying that the people who voluntarily risk their lives to help protect our nation and our freedoms is wrong.