xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ManOfSTEEL

How To Host My Own Website In My Computer How to host my website in my own compute

I have already a domain name and need to host my own website in my computer. How can I do it? I need help as in step-by-step instruction from you guys... Pls...Any reply would be appreciated...

I have already a domain name and need to host my own website in my computer. How can I do it? I need help as in step-by-step instruction from you guys... Pls...

Any reply would be appreciated...

160704[/snapback]

First things first...

1. Does your ISP allow you to run a server?

2. Is your bandwidth high enough to make the server usable?

3. Do you have a static IP address?

4. What type of features do you need your server to support? (PSP, PERL, ASP... etc)

5. What operating system are you running?

6. Do you have a dedicated machine for this server or do you plan on running it from your desktop PC?

I can probably think of a thousand other questions that would be helpful before being able to give specific instructions.

Also, if you are running Windows XP, then you need to decide if you would prefer to use IIS or Apache for the base HTTP server. (I would highly recommend Apache)

I would also highly recommend that if you seriously want to run your own server... that you consider running one of the Linux Distributions... that is a far more stable way of running a web server.

ckuehner  grt info man

would u mind illustrate more plz

then how can i contact my internet provider

and what is static ip and how could i get it

160761[/snapback]

Not real sure what you would like me to illustrate. Can you explain?

As for contacting you ISP... well.. I don't know. Depends on who your ISP is. Look at your monthly bill and find their Technical Support number. You can then check with them to see if they allow you to host a server. (Chances are that they don't) Typically an ISP is going to require you to purchase a business package instead of a residential package before they will allow you to host a server. Typically this business package will include a Static IP.

A static IP is an IP address that never changes. For example if your IP was 10.254.254.236 then nomatter if you reboot your computer, modem or router... that address will never change.

In comparasin to a Dynamic IP which is what most ISP give residential customers... a Dynamic IP might change from day to day. Today you may have 10.254.254.236... and tomorrow it may be 10.254.254.157 or something.

The problem with that situation is that DNS Servers around the world associate a web address like http://www.mysite.com/ with a specific IP address... so if your IP address changes... those DNS servers are now pointing to the wrong computer.

Does that make sense? There are ways around this... such as Dynamic DNS Services... (such as DynDNS.com) but if you seriously want to run a real web server... that is not the way to do it.

Most of us are at the mercy of our internet service provider. And you really cannot count on dynamic IP address for the life of you!

I think I got this link from one of our forum posts but I couldn't find it. So I'll just place the link here:
http://www.dsl-speed.org/webhosting.htm
As you can see, instead of tinkering around your OS, with this software it's easily managed. This site offers you in details how to set up your DSL (or Cable model) to make your personal computer as a hosting service. Visit this site for more information.

Thank you very much for the information, to give you some details of what currently have right now, I listed below the available stuff I have for my project.1. I have DLS account Static IP is available upon request from my ISP provider.2. I am using windows 2003 server which I think capable enough in hosting website.3. I got domain available for my website.4. my website are 80 percent done, and I am not using big database for my website just for company expossures, contact and marketing purposes. what do you think? do I need big space? bandwidth?

right for a start IIS is already included with server 2003 i think, then you must follow the instructions [url=http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ to get started, also depending on the type of website you may want, asp.net, php and a few other scripting languages installed on your computer as well as postgreSQL or MySQL for a database

Thank you very much for the information, to give you some details of what currently have right now, I listed below the available stuff I have for my project.

1. I have DLS account Static IP is available upon request from my ISP provider.

2. I am using windows 2003 server which I think capable enough in hosting website.

3. I got domain available for my website.

4. my website are 80 percent done, and I am not using big database for my website just for company expossures, contact and marketing purposes.

what do you think? do I need big space? bandwidth?

160840[/snapback]

Get the static IP from your provider... that is the first step.

Even though IIS is included in Windows 2003 server... it still may not be the best choice for you. IIS can be pretty confusing to configure properly. Unless you receive training in IIS... I would suggest other options.

One option would be to use a package like VertrigoServ which is a package containing Apache, PHP, MySQL and a few other things. It is already all packaged together, so you simply install the package, and then configure your databases with PHPMyAdmin and set up your site. This particular one is all open source and can be found at http://vertrigo.sourceforge.net/.

There are other ways to go about it... but this way, you don't need to know a lot about adding these components manually.

I recommend using something like this. I have had a lot of experience with both IIS and Apache. Personal opinion is that Apache is far more stable, and much easier to configure than IIS. Not saying IIS is bad in any way... just seems a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

IIS is more for situations where you plan on running a lot of Microsoft Web Applications... things like Sharepoint, or Terminal Server.

Apache is also easier to find free support for.

Then we need to get to the issue of Nameservers... but we will save that for later, Just don't have the time at the moment to explain that one.

i believe thier is a topic still in the tutorials section about how to get a website going on your isp unless you are talking about .com it off the ip number. try out xampp.