xisto Community
xwilson7x

Is This Allowed? MP3-related

Dear Xisto Staff,

I have a query. I have enough hosting credits for PACKAGE 2 and I need to get this question answered before I create a request for Web Hosting on Package 2.

Will it be OK if I host a few MP3 files? I bought the CD and I did not download it or anything. I need to host these files so I am able to play it for my MySpace webpage.

I will be using this FLASHPLAYER making it impossible for anyone who visits my webpage to DOWNLOAD the MP3's. All I want is a someone to host these files, so I can play music on my webpage so all of my friends can listen to something while their there and they won't be bored.

I've also posted this over at Xisto, but I switched here because I believe this website is much more active.

Thank you!

I generally would stay away from playing any music on your site simply because if you can't turn it off, pause it, or otherwise hide it, it can get annoying B)

Aside from that, the TOS says no MP3s because they technically aren't your property even if you bought the CD. They belong to the artist and the company that produced the record.

There are probably ways to get a song from flash. Maybe downloading the file and using Macromedia Flash to break it apart? (I have a theory on this but it doesn't make much sense now).

I'm gonna let you wait for a Mod or an Admin for official blah blah. So hang tight and don't pay attention to me. I'm the middle[wo]man in all of this :P

In a short answer: as long as you have the written permission from the artist(s) of the CD album, you may host the music or post a link using Xisto hosting. Although you are the owner of said CD(s) you merely purchased the rights to listen without additional royalty. If you provide, even if you purchased it, any means of others who have not purchased a CD album to copy (either download or record off of your site) then it is illegal--also against TOS.

For further reading and discussion, please refer to http://forums.xisto.com/topic/23731-media-on-other-hosts/

Edit: clarified meanings

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

i believe as long as you flash the song so it makes it impossible to download of course im hearing otherwise on that one that you can still download it by using some flash program to slice cut or extract it some how but yeah i play it say and not do it at all unless its background music which no one does anymore.