xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Styx

Gmail Problems ...cant access my mail

Since moving to Pakistan, I've been appalled at the poor internet service here. Especially since the cable has gone down, things have only gone from bad to worse. Now with the satellite links things are slowly moving again. I can finally access Yahoomail, hotpop mail, all my other mail accounts. But for some reason gmail won't work. The google search engine works fine, but when i try to access the mail section i get a page not found error. is this possibly only a local problem, or is it something that others have found as well? i imagine not, or there would be a major outcry. Still, i'm worried that somehow it's gone down, and all my mail is getting lost in cyberspace. :unsure:

Are you able to ping gmail server? Open your command prompt and type

CONSOLE
C:\Documents and Settings\User\ping gmail.google.com

Pinging gmail.l.google.com [64.233.161.105] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.161.105: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=244
Reply from 64.233.161.105: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=244

Ping statistics for 64.233.161.105:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 53ms, Maximum = 55ms, Average = 54ms

If you are able to ping gmail.google.com but you cannot access it, for the mean time try editing your HOSTS file. Under 127.0.0.1 enter

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.## This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.## This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one# space.## Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.## For example:##      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host127.0.0.1       localhost64.233.161.105  gmail.google.com
...and see if it works. HOSTS file is located on Windows XP under C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Being unable to read your email is a real sarrow, espassially if you have a lot of friends and emails a day, I feel sorry for you and hope BuffaloHelp's tip works for you...

:D sad and frustrating situation, why dont you try using another browser?? or ... i think there are some tools to access your email account by other ways ... i think buffalo post that tools he can tell you more about it ....good luck :unsure:

Are you able to ping gmail server? Open your command prompt and type

CONSOLE
C:\Documents and Settings\User\ping gmail.google.com

Pinging gmail.l.google.com [64.233.161.105] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.161.105: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=244

Ping statistics for 64.233.161.105:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 53ms, Maximum = 55ms, Average = 54ms

If you are able to ping gmail.google.com but you cannot access it, for the mean time try editing your HOSTS file. Under 127.0.0.1 enter

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.## This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.## This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one# space.## Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.## For example:##      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host127.0.0.1       localhost64.233.161.105  gmail.google.com
...and see if it works. HOSTS file is located on Windows XP under C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

158106[/snapback]

nope, doesn't work. nuthin! i tried everything u said here----no response, the Gmail Lite version, sifted through other postings, i can't access it. it's gotta be the connection. anyone reading this have a gmail account that works, as of now? if so, someone pls post, 4 my peace of mind. :unsure:

Since yesterday when I try to read my email (gmail)I first get the notice"loading" followed by a done and I get NOTHING.Help pleaseH.F.-Henry Fisch