xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
petgraveyard

Leetspeak I cant stand that lol stuff

Is it just me or is "lol" and "pwn" getting on your nerves? I cant stand that stuff. Doesn't it just make you want to scream?I know its supposed to make typing more convienent. I know its for the fun of chatting. I know that it is what the youngsters do these days. But it really just makes you sound stupid. It really does. It degrades your intellect. It makes you sound like you just dont care about anything. It makes you sound like you can't talk like a human. Some of it is meant to make fun of people, but most of us dont understand the lot of it. Why cant they just come out and say it in english? I think it is becuase they are scared. Scared of what their friends and peers will think if they stop talking in the so called "cool people language". I really just cant stand how people talk like that. And people are even starting to use it outside the computing world now! Saying "lol" when something they think is funny crosses their mind. Writing it one their tests, quizzes, and essays at school like it is proper. It just infuriates me. Does it infuriate any of you? I think it should. It is just so bad, and so annoying, and so fustrating, its just unbearable!

No...it's does "inferiate" me. What's wrong with "lol"? It's not meant to be cool. Could you imaging typing out "Laugh Out Load" every time you wanna say it? No, it doesn't "degrade" your intelligence. It's just an easier way of saying something. Now, I understand if you don't know HOW to use it, it'll make you look stupid. I think you're just surrounded by people who use it in the wrong way. I use it a lot, "pwn" "lol" "1337", doesn't mean I'm stupid. I'm actually quite SMART.(as you can tell by the way I type, maybe)I don't think it makes ANYONE wanna scream(except you) because everyone uses it. It's something that makes our lifes easier. People who don't type as fast, or hate typing use it.And you know, it's not just "youngsters". I have seen a 42 year old say that. A LOT. And he's actually quite smart. I'm pretty sure most of the mods here use it, and maybe the admin, but that doesn't degrade there intelligence(seeing as how they run this place).No. Doesn't inferiate me. I think a lot of people could agree with that.Oh, and btw, leetspeak isn't "lol". leetSpeak is stuff like;0|-|, yv0 g0t pvv/\/3d |0s3|2s.Soo ya.

well if the real world news reporters use a form of wriing called short script (i might be a different name ) it makes it easier to write things faster and makes it more conveniant to write, so the reporter is can write more without missing anything.you can said that lol is short script for chatrooms.i know back in the day of chatrooms it took hours for the text to show up after typing it, that crappy lag and 28k modem. i miss those days.but anyways i would think bill gates uses "lol" its practically godfather of computer industry.

There are a few of those that I dont understand like rofl.... I cant think of others because I havent used them and forgotten them, but oh well, can anybody here tell me what rofl means, and if you know others post them.

"rofl" means "rolling on floor laughing".I don't know very many of those abbreviated words...I know lmao (laughing my a** off), brb (be right back), ttyl (talk to you later), g2g (got to go), np (no problem), yw (you're welcome) and probably a few others that I can't think of right now...I think they're handy when you're in a hurry or can't be bothered typing something out, but they do get annoying when you're talking to someone who uses them in just about every second thing they type...especially if they're using ones you've never heard before and you have to keep asking "what does that mean?" all the time. Like "pwn"...I have no idea what that means... :unsure: lol

I do agree that these abbreviations are used excessively to some extent, but they do sometimes help cut down the time required when typing. I only use some of those abbreviations when I am chatting with my friends via instant messaging. But only some of them. I do understand where you are coming from about how it seems like teens only use these words, but being a teenager myself, I know for a fact that it's not really how it seems. We often joke about the stupidity of these abbreviations, but that doesn't neccesarily reflect on the level of intelect that we are at.(Some of the abbreviations don't even save that much space, ex: l8tr = later. One letter, wow.)

"pwn" means "Own" you know like,"Ohhh you just got pwnt"Translation:"Ohhh you just got ownedBut please remember;Abbreviations like, "Lol" "omg" "rolf" those, are not leetspeak.LeetSpeak is numbers and a few symbols combined the look like words such as, 0mG y0u|2'3|3 t|2ipp|/\/g..."Omg You're Tripping". That is leet speak, or as people refer to it as 1337 Speak. Haxorz is another computer language...uhm, lets just say if you don't know it, you can't even read it the slightest.Those abbreviations are...erm, I guess "slang".

No...it's does "inferiate" me. What's wrong with "lol"? It's not meant to be cool. Could you imaging typing out "Laugh Out Load" every time you wanna say it? No, it doesn't "degrade" your intelligence. It's just an easier way of saying something. Now, I understand if you don't know HOW to use it, it'll make you look stupid. I think you're just surrounded by people who use it in the wrong way. I use it a lot, "pwn" "lol" "1337", doesn't mean I'm stupid. I'm actually quite SMART.(as you can tell by the way I type, maybe)

Well, it is spelled infuriate, look it up in a dictionary and you will understand. Now, I think it makes people sound like they have a low intelligence because they dont have the patience to type like a normal human. Do you get what I am saying? Then it follows out into your life like using it in real-world situations. AND it starts to make you type slower because when you have to type things that are real (like for example if you are typing a book report for school), you just can't do it normally. Like for example, it may turn out like this:

Lol, the main character in dis book iz John Doe. He had me rofl with the things that he did in the book. Don't u agree?

PS - Degrade nad infuriate are real words! Look them up!

but anyways i would think bill gates uses "lol" its practically godfather of computer industry.

Well, guess what, I doubt the richest and possible one of the smartest businessmen in the world uses "lol". Typically when you are sitting on top of the world of business and need to talk to somebody you aren't going to say "lol".

LOL .. why could you stand those kinda phases .. it is just like simplifying your life and makes you express yourself faster without the need of typing that many words .. smile.gif

Its not really simplifying your life, because, as said before (or after), they don't actually save much space, it just makes it harder for those of us who type normally to understand you.

But please remember;

Abbreviations like, "Lol" "omg" "rolf" those, are not leetspeak.

LeetSpeak is numbers and a few symbols combined the look like words such as, 0mG y0u|2'3|3 t|2ipp|/\/g..."Omg You're Tripping". That is leet speak, or as people refer to it as 1337 Speak. Haxorz is another computer language...uhm, lets just say if you don't know it, you can't even read it the slightest.

Those abbreviations are...erm, I guess "slang".

I just group it all under leetspeak because it just makes sense that way. I know that "13375p33k" is like that, but I think "lol" is just as bad.

Just my opinion on things.

Ok petgraveyard. You're really being hostile twards us. "Lose are real words look them up". No duh they're real words, we all know that. Now, when you say it just makes us type slower....ok that's not true. I can Type "Laugh Out Loud"...faster then I can type "lol". And if something doesn't belong in a curtain catagorie, don't put it there. People don't talk like "Lol the character in dis book iz". They just don't. And as you say, it "degrades" our intelligence, when something is put in quotes out of speech, it's exagerrating the word so it stands out more. Here's what really p*ssed me off about what you said;

Its not really simplifying your life, because, as said before (or after), they don't actually save much space, it just makes it harder for those of us who type normally to understand you.

Now, it doesn't save space? Laugh Out Loud. 14 Characters including spaces. Lol. 3 Characters, no spaces. Everyone knows what "LOL" means. My mom knows what it means, my dad. And say we'd just start using this in real life? Nahh, thats just stupid. We know how to talk in real life, we aren't going to walk up to someone and say "LOL, did you see marty the other day? That was so rofl!". No one is ganna do that.

With all due respect, I think you should treat others opinions well. Seeing as how what you're saying isn't all true. You need to treat the other members with R-E-S-P-E-C-T. We respect the fact you don't like the word "Lol", please respect the fact that we use it and we won't stop.

Thanks..

I don't quite think that saying "LOL, LMAO, BRB" is trying to Leetspeak. Things like. 1'm TrY1nG 2 133T $p3@k. Is trying it.Who is it harming? Not like we are going to say LMFAO in real life.. I mean how would you even pronounce it. Easy does it. It's if it is over used, then yeah maybe. Like most people who have replied I disagree with you. its not lyk we'r doin diz, iz it? i mean dat iz wel anoyin, coz diz seriously int propa.oh yeah, LOL to me is "I hear you, I've replied, but I don't know what your talking about", lol.

I wouldn't say that "lol", "rofl", "pwned", etc. are part of the "leetspeak" per se. They're just shorter versions of various common words, phrases, expressions and the like. But I'll admit, they can get annoying when they are used in excess and for no plausible reason other than to take up space. But if its used at the right times, even sparingly, then sure, do what you will.On the other hand, no I don't get inferiorated by their use either. I'm a very docile and long-tempered person most of the time, so things like that don't really upset me.

Notice from Johnny:
Merged double post.
Edited by Johnny (see edit history)

Well, it doesn't degrade our intelligence, but it does mess up a kid's test score. I've a seen a kid who wrote "lol" on a test before. You can type it in the computer, as long as you don't do it on your test ( quiz, whatever you want to call it ). It doesn't make me want to scream, but I do believe people over use it.

I don't quite think that saying "LOL, LMAO, BRB" is trying to Leetspeak. Things like. 1'm TrY1nG 2 133T $p3@k. Is trying it.

Who is it harming? Not like we are going to say LMFAO in real life.. I mean how would you even pronounce it.

Easy does it. It's if it is over used, then yeah maybe. Like most people who have replied I disagree with you. its not lyk we'r doin diz, iz it? i mean dat iz wel anoyin, coz diz seriously int propa.

oh yeah, LOL to me is "I hear you, I've replied, but I don't know what your talking about", lol.

158259[/snapback]

Hahaha I hear ya...

I also use 'lol' as when I don't know what to reply and sometimes it becomes a bad habit, like typing it in every sentence. People are like "stop that" then I go "lol ok" :)

Funny thing is... In Dutch lol is a real word, meaning fun, hmm coincidence? (bad spelling :unsure: bite me)

Anyways... lol is for those using it (not all) just a habit, to type lol instead hahaha to express that you're having fun. I prefer rofl tho :) but leetspeak is waaayy different, 2 years ago I hung out with some "hax0rz" who were using the word pwned 10 times a minute and some sentences were almost unreadable. (pwned is pronounces as powned, as from what I heard) so there is a biggy difference between 'bad' habits and leetspeak.

erm were that 2 cents? :D