xisto Community
rejected

Copyright Protection What is...Copyright protection?

I went and did a little research on copyright protection for you guys..

Copyright protection is a tangible material that is protected by a copyright. Anything can be copyrighted that you can view, hear, if it can be saved on your computer, or anything else that is a way of saving. Copyright Protection begins when something is created in tangible form. Once you have your material written down or saved somewhere, it is copyrighted, but you can't sue them unless you register your copyright with the U.S. Copyright Office. Even if your copyright isn't registered, you can still assert a copyright claim as the author.

When you see a "Š Copyright 2004, 2005 Chris Wilson", it doesn't mean that the copyright expires in 2005. What it means it that the material was created in 2004 and then edited in 2005. A copyright lasts until 50 years after the death of the original author.

Taking anyone's work from the internet is illegal! If you see a background that you like, or part of someone's source that you'd like to use, that's illegal! That material is copyrighted. There are three things that aren't illegal when taking things: if it has been created by the federal government, if the copyright has been abondoned by the holder, and if the copyright has expired.

If you have downloaded a free item from a website, you still have to comply with the owner's terms and or conditions. If it says that you must give them credit, you must give them credit, or else you're commiting copyright infringment. If the owner says you cannot edit it, you can't edit it legally.

You cannot take someone's work and translate it into a different language and then call it your own either.The Bern Convention says:

Authors of literary and artistic works protected by this Convention shall enjoy the exclusive right of making and of authorizing the translation of their works throughout the term of protection of their rights in the original works.

You have to have the author's permission to translate it into a different language.
I'd like to thank http://www.whatiscopyright.org/ for educating myself and others on the copyrighting experience. If I hadn't given credit to that website, I would be commiting plagarism from taking their ideas and paraphrasing them.

Hmm, thats really interesting. When I play Sc I see ? Blizzard Entertaintment 1994-1998" and I'm like....WOW! SC isn't copyrighted anymore? Lets steal it! Thanks for clearing that up for me/us :unsure:. Oh, and, it's still valid till after 50 year old the authors death. So, if I copyright my site, die, and 50 years later someone can steal whatever they want off of it without it being illegal, as long as someone else doesn't claim responsibility? Wow, that's interesting.

When you see a "? Copyright 2004, 2005 Chris Wilson", it doesn't mean that the copyright expires in 2005. What it means it that the material was created in 2004 and then edited in 2005. A copyright lasts until 50 years after the death of the original author.

Ah, i've always wondered about that. Thanks for making that clear for me.

The only thing important that rejected did not mention on his topic on copywrites is that titles of websites are not able to be copywrited. Therefore, if you created a site in 1999 with the name "Something", anyone else no matter when can create a site names "Something" even if you added the copywrite symbol or stated that it was copywrited. Also, you do not formally need to apply for copywrite in order for the material to be copywrited. All you have to do is say that it is copywrited.

The only thing important that rejected did not mention on his topic on copywrites is that titles of websites are not able to be copywrited. Therefore, if you created a site in 1999 with the name "Something", anyone else no matter when can create a site names "Something" even if you added the copywrite symbol or stated that it was copywrited.

157689[/snapback]

Thanks for adding that, I'm sure it will prove useful :unsure:

Also, you do not formally need to apply for copywrite in order for the material to be copywrited. All you have to do is say that it is copywrited.

157689[/snapback]

I already said that..

Once you have your material written down or saved somewhere, it is copyrighted

and then I continued to say

but you can't sue them unless you register your copyright with the U.S. Copyright Office

So there :D

thanks rejected & fffanatics, that was one good useful piece of info... I knew that we need not register but just say copyright and it would be ours.. but other details were nice.Cheers.

The only thing important that rejected did not mention on his topic on copywrites is that titles of websites are not able to be copywrited. Therefore, if you created a site in 1999 with the name "Something", anyone else no matter when can create a site names "Something" even if you added the copywrite symbol or stated that it was copywrited.

Also, you do not formally need to apply for copywrite in order for the material to be copywrited. All you have to do is say that it is copywrited.

157689[/snapback]

Correct, the title would fall under Trademark laws and not copyright laws.

Another important note is that copyright rules are pretty much universal, they apply not only in the states but pretty much everywhere in the world. There are a few contries that have lenient copyright laws, but they pretty much all resemble the US laws. The Canadian Laws are nearly identical, in fact all of the points that rejected pointed out are just as true in Canada as they are in the US.

I thought you had to apply for a copyright, to make it legal and all that good stuff. If I were to display a copyright message at the bottom of my website and then someone were to take something from my site without my permission, what sort of legal action could I take?

I thought you had to apply for a copyright, to make it legal and all that good stuff. If I were to display a copyright message at the bottom of my website and then someone were to take something from my site without my permission, what sort of legal action could I take?

158518[/snapback]

The only legal action you could take would be for plagiarism. You could only claim yourself to be the legal and true owner and creator of the material.

Wow, that is some really good internet researching!So, basically, in everyone's site that have image off TV shows, or even posted game images, that would be concidered illegal? Then if that's already illegal, why is it such a big deal to have MP3 (that aren't yours) on your site if you give them the correct credit? Just a question I was wondering about :unsure:;;;

So, basically, in everyone's site that have image off TV shows, or even posted game images, that would be concidered illegal? Then if that's already illegal, why is it such a big deal to have MP3 (that aren't yours) on your site if you give them the correct credit?

158666[/snapback]

In a perfect world, that would be enough. However, if an artist or a fan decided to post the newest recording that can be easily accessed by public it gives free loaders an easier chance to make "pirated" compilations to make money--money that SHOULD belong to the artist.

Copyright protection offers not only to protect a material from being used unintended by the original creator, but also to protect an image of the author (in this case as we focus on MP3's). For example, if you (the artist) created a song "to cure the world from hunger", but someone decided to remix your song and somehow twisted your message to promote "fight for your right to stay on top so that you don't go hungry--for any means of necessary, even to kill" that taints your image as an artist. And to a listener hearing your song for the first time would only think that such song (the remixed version) is your (the artist) true intension.

Getting back to banning from hosting MP3's: due to possible tarnishing of artist's name (which is also copyrighted, by the way) the representative of the artist will go after such site and site owners for "reformatting" the good character's name. Furthermore, since the technology makes it possible to obtain an original work (such as downloading from a website) without prior written consent from an artist, it's a way (banning MP3's from hosted) to limit the spread (distribution) of a material. No webmasters would like to sit in front of a court room battling out law-suit that may cost $700 an hour. Simply, no one wants to pay for someone else's misconduct.

I suppose you can say that copyright is all about the Benjamins...