xisto Community
rejected

Copyright Protection What is...Copyright protection?

As far as I know, it does not 'cost' anything to use the copyright symbol on a web page. I would likely cost a fee to have a Government-approved copyright registered and issued to you. I would encourage you to also check out the 'copy-left' and/or Creative Commons Licencing.Musicmaza, You seem to be missing the point on the lack of 'copyright' from that site you refer to. Simply because they SAY there is no copyright and the information is freely available on the Web, you should actually track the original source of the material to confirm there is no original copyright holder, or that they have made the material available in the Public Domain. This is to protect yourself in case the original copyright holder, in fact, does want to apply a copyright. Even material which is 'free' should include a reference to the source you are copying from, in order that others can confirm the copyright status. I am not a Lawyer, so I base my reply on what little I know. You should cover your backside, is essentially what I suggest. You can never go wrong by being too careful. What happens if your site gains as much popularity as Google? and then the original copyright holder comes after you claiming a big chunk of change from you because the content on your site is copied from elsewhere? You can bet they will win if in fact you are violating the copyright laws. IMHO.

As far as I know, it does not 'cost' anything to use the copyright symbol on a web page.

So when/if I post a copyright sign, and someone steals my content/material, how do I strike back on it? Kinda if my website is new, and not that many peoples know of it, someone steals it and puts it onto their website and that website gets worldwide and famous?

it's not worth it to retaliate unless they harmed your business, reputation, or making money from breaking any copywrite laws that would relate to your situation. sometimes, it's just good to feel happy that someone used your stuff for personal use and it's floating around. if you do see copywrite infringement though. best thing to do is talk to the webmaster and show proof of copywrite so the webmaster can remove the material.

to register a copywrite costs money. all it's really good for is to have a date to the true copywrite. it's hard to prove copywrite infringment sometimes because someone can steal your work, modify it, and claim that as theirs.

my friend used to work in the entertainment industry as a writer. to get away from the cost of copywriting everything, what he used to do is make copies of all his work and mail it to himself. when he recieved it back through the u.s. mail, they stamp the date on the envelope so that is proof enough and will hold up in any court of law as long as you don't open it up. keep it SEALED.

musicmaza- yes, you can take your work from any blog site and paste it elsewhere. i'm assuming you are still talking about how you want to transfer your blog info. you own your own work. you can do whatever you want with it. as far as the other sites allowing you to publish your work, they have their own publishing rights. you can ask them to remove your work from their site after you copy it(if that's your only copy) just so there isn't any duplicate copies out there but they can refuse but that shouldn't prohibit you in any way to do what you want with your own work. i'm only mentioning this because we already had a discussion about how you wanted to transfer your stuff over to possibly Xisto because they have the wordpress program in fantastico within the control panel and i just noticed your shout to haslip.

So when/if I post a copyright sign, and someone steals my content/material, how do I strike back on it? Kinda if my website is new, and not that many peoples know of it, someone steals it and puts it onto their website and that website gets worldwide and famous?

Oh no! what about avatars we use? Is my avatar an infringement of copyrights :lol: Its practically impossible to keep from infringing copyrights these days. We don't know the sources of the stuff we see online and not everyone can produce good stuff themselves.I do agree with anwiii that its good to let your work travel around the internet cuz its really like free marketing.

I once contacted a website, because I wanted to translate some articles in my own language, but they did not send me an answer about the problem. So everytime I make a translation I cite the source, or sources. But something I am not familiar with, or I am not sure about is that about sources, do I have to take permission for every piece of articles/sentence I have to put in my work. Let us suppose that I am writing a book, and that I have included several reference authors to my book, so should I take permission from everyone of them.This copyright work, is the most uncommon case. I am not totally familiar with.

All this copyright talk is fine,but the problem is coming upwith the money to sue somebody if they did steal your material.Not only that,but how would you give a subpeona(Noticeof legal action) to somebody living thousands of miles away? Then theres all the complications of which court it would be held in and where.What a headache.

This copywright issues, inspired me to get some real knowledge about this. I asked a lawyer for infringement problems and how to resolve the problems with author copyright but still I don't feel sure about all things at all.

Oh no! what about avatars we use? Is my avatar an infringement of copyrights :lol: Its practically impossible to keep from infringing copyrights these days. We don't know the sources of the stuff we see online and not everyone can produce good stuff themselves.

I do agree with anwiii that its good to let your work travel around the internet cuz its really like free marketing.

Nice one jullaby. Bumping a topic almost 2 years old, lol.

Copyright Protection is a little secure way of protecting your stuff. Giving your site a Copyright © tag/sign will mean that your sites content is copyright to you and your site. Depending on what you put on it, and from where it was from. Others may have images you take and have them copyright to them.

copyright protection means,example : if an item (CD contents) belongs to an autorised person, then it can be distributed by him/changed only by him.... those contents cannot be changed or sold or distributed by changing the authority of the contents by others.If i am wrong then, please correct me.

I think that the software companies help to violate the copyrights. Why Nero was created? Why the Ipod was created? Why the Cds are bought like bread?If the software companies didn?t had created all this programs used to copy the creations(music, movies, photos, software, books) the copyrights never had been violated.Why Daemon tools did exist? The piracy start in make the copy not in distribute it.That?s my opinion if someone don?t be agree with me, I am sorry.Regards

Copyright is a copying right. Example: i have made game and if you buy it, you don't have right to copy the game and resell it again on the market. If you get caught for breaking copyright you will be judged on court because that's crime. But nobody respects that copyrights, everybody uses piracy (60% from the peoples are using warez). That's what it is.

Copyright can be considered to be the right of somebody to decide what happens with the subject the copyright applies to. So if somebody owns the copyright of a book the copyright holder can decide about the publication of the book.

With a book the use of the copyright can be a sort of clear.

On the internet the existence and the result of a copyright can be unclear. Because it is easy to copy the content of a website it might seem that no copyright applies for the content of a website.

Some content is put on the internet free of rights. The owners of the copyright make the content free to use for any user of the internet.

This means, that for some content of a website it is not immediately obvious and not very clear if the owner of a copyright wants to practice the rights the copyright gives to the holder of the copyright.

It is possible, that not everybody agrees with the idea, that everything that is published on the internet is free of copyright.

Posted Image

Edited by Eza (see edit history)

I don't believe copyright should apply heavily on the internet if it is used in unharmfull ways such as posting episodes of your favorite show on youtube should be okay or downloading your favorite song for free but I would not agree with attempting to sell an item or work as a dj with pirated songs as long as your keep it to yourself copyright isn't a big deal in my book but thats just my two cents on copyright everyone is entitled to there own opinion ;)~calebFTW