xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
electriic ink

Questions About Hosting guests, post your questions here

1. Do we have the guarantee that we will never be made to post more times than is possible for our Internet allowance, (some teens have only so much time to keep even a small web site, and some adults have real jobs they have to do so it's hard to find time for posting on forums even if you like doing it.)

Is there a set number of posts you have to make to keep you site active?

No. This forum works off of the credit system. The number of hosting credits you earn = the number of days your site will be on operational. 1 credit = 1 day. The number of credit you earn is based on spelling, grammar, quality and length of your post. Make sure you post enough to last you x amount of days that you cannot be on the internet.

2. If we are making that many posts a day and still haven't broken any of the rules written in the TOU's is there still a chance of our site being removed or deleted at the Admins discretion?

Never. As long as you abide by TOS (terms of service) and forum rules, you will never lose your hosting privilege. Administrators will not meddle with your account unless TOS has been violated.

3. Will the pages always be add free?

You mean ad free? Yes. Always! Xisto and its owner does not believe in forced ads on member's web page(s).

4. Does the server provide regular backups or software available to the members to backup their sites on their schedules?

You have to backup your own files. You may write a scheduled backup script on your own. cPanel will also have the option of backing up your database. But you must do that on your own. For the list of services, please check out the demo cPanel link in the Alerts and Notices section.

5. If we make a thread on a subject already being discussed accidentally do we loose points?

Xisto respects all posts made to the forum. If in case it was found that a member is trying to gain hosting credits without contribution, then the member's hosting credits will be adjusted. In the past some posts were deleted, but only in extreme cases. That's why we request that you search the forum thoroughly before making a new topic. Topic title and its description are VERY IMPORTANT thus reason.

6. Must the members post the entire time his or her site is hosted here, or can they stop if they choose after a year or two?

As long as you have sufficient hosting credits you may choose to stop posting for a while. However, without your hosting credits your site will be suspended. After 30 days of suspension your account will be terminated and you need to reapply for another one. Posting in the forum makes sure that each member is active at the forum.

7. Do you provide free domain registration? (Silly question but I wanted to know)

No. Xisto provides free subdomain, i.e. yourName.trap17.com. Yahoo is currently offering $1.99 per year up to 5 years for top domain level name. This offer expires on September 20th at 1 minute before midnight.

8. If the forum ever has a problem (IE, is down for maintenance or has been hacked into) and the members cannot get in to post, will the members sites run the risk of being deleted?

The forum has never gone down for more than few hours in the past. But that's due to regular maintenance. This forum is well protected. However, in case your hosting credit runs out before you can make your post, you have within 30 days to post to bring your hosting credits back to positive value. Your hosting is terminated ONLY after 30 days of suspension. Your site is suspended when your hosting credit reaches 0 (zero). As soon as your hosting credit goes back to the positive value, within in 1 hour your site will be fully operational. Remember, 1 hosting credit means 1 day of free web hosting. And the amount of hosting credit is determined by the quality of your post. You can post 300 words and would receive 5 credits or more. As you gain the member level, the amount of hosting credit you receive per quality post decreases. This means, as you become familiar with this forum and your activity increases, the hosting credit you receive per word/post also decreases. But don't worry, soon you'll be posting with ease and gain all the hosting credits you need.

Also are there any reasons (apart from Illegal content) that our sites might not be approved for?

181904[/snapback]

No. As long as you understand the TOS you will be granted with free web hosting.

If there are any more questions, please feel free to contact any of moderators via PM (private message) or use the shoutbox. You may refer to few key topics using links found in my signature area.

I hope you decide to join our forum and looking forward to seeing you here soon!

4. Does the server provide regular backups or software available to the members to backup their sites on their schedules?

You have to backup your own files. You may write a scheduled backup script on your own. cPanel will also have the option of backing up your database. But you must do that on your own. For the list of services, please check out the demo cPanel link in the Alerts and Notices section.
Just to add to this, if you want to back-up your files quickly and easily, just follow these steps:

Login to ftp using Internet Explorer

Go to the folder you want backed-up (such as the /public_html/ directory)

Select all other the folders and files within that directory and copy them to the clipboard

Paste them on your hard drive.

The files have been backed up!

I appreciate your quick responses, and thank you even more for answering every one of my questions.I may have one or two more later but I'm just relieved you do answer them, because most other technical support groups do not.Thanks for you time and I might join the forum now, I've looked around it and it does have some very interesting topics, I hope it stays up for a long time, and speaking of that, how long has this server been up? Just out of curiosity. :)

That is actually a very good question. I don't know the exact date, but I heard that it was sometime during the month of June, 2004.

When you do sign up, please introduce yourself at General Talk > Introductions

Thank you :)