xisto Community
sugarplumsistar

Seawater Energy? a new way to get energy using seawater.

:rolleyes:The french get to research and experiment on making a new kind of nuclear reactor! they get to make the reactor called the ITER (International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor)."It aims to mimic the way the sun produces energy, potentially providing an inexhaustible source of low-cost energy using seawater as fuel."Japan and France have argued over where the reactor should be built while other partners have clashed over funding. interesting i think!

Notice from snlildude87:
Errors fixed

maybe this link can add more info. :rolleyes:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

actually, the site location has been finalized. it's going to be in cadarache, france. :lol: here's their website: http://www.itercad.org/

:rolleyes:

The french get to research and experiment on making a new kind of nuclear reactor! they get to make the reactor called the ITER

(International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor).

"It aims to mimic the way the sun produces energy, potentially providing an inexhaustible source of low-cost energy using seawater as fuel."

Japan and France have argued over where the reactor should be built while other partners have clashed over funding. interesting i think!

Notice from snlildude87:
Errors fixed

155947[/snapback]

Wow,,,that was really interesting but, where is the location? I think this is one of the big project for them, do you think it will help us if we have this nuclear reactor?

I think for that...

Wow,,,that was really interesting but, where is the location?  I think this is one of the big project for them, do you think it will help us if we have this nuclear reactor?

I think for that...

156076[/snapback]

Arnel, as serverph said above, the thing is to be built at Cadarache, south-east France. This is expected to be a research project, so you shouldn't benefit direct results before years.

Now that would be great. Firstly they will help with changing the world from non-renewable resources to renewable resources. Also making power cheaper and making life better for most.In the long run when the power does become cheaper we will start getting slight decreases in prices and such, but then again with oil prices increasing we will soon seeing a great price increase. This is the beginning of a new era. If only America and other countries would follow, not saying america is bad and all. This only because they produce alot of polloution everyday compared to other countries.If only more countries would also move from non-reneable resources to renewable to help make the world a better place.

UPDATE May 21, 2006: scientists claim to have cleared technical hurdle in fusion research! :)http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Physicists working in the United States believe they have cracked an important problem facing man-made nuclear fusion, touted as the cheap, safe, clean and almost limitless energy source of the future...

Nuclear fusion is the same process used by the Sun to radiate energy. In the case of our star, hydrogen atoms are forced together to produce helium. On Earth, the fusion would take place in a reactor fuelled by two istopes of hydrogen -- deuterium and tritium -- with helium the waste product...

Deuterium is present in seawater, which makes it a virtually limitless resource...

one hurdle down, hundreds... thousands... more to go? :) hope mankind and the collective brainpower of its geniuses be able to complete this in our lifetime -- million of years even before oil is completely depleted worldwide. :)

I have been following nuclear fusion for a while. To me it really seems like it is the solution to many of the earths problems. There are many benefits. With it you could end polution and bring power to developing countries. Hopefully nuclear fusion reactions will be completed soon. I look forward to seeing the world when they are being used.

Very interesting, what caught my eye was this "To do so the installation will produce 500 MW of fusion power during pulses of at least 400 seconds." Technically how are they going to produce that much power in that amount of time in the water. Have they even thought this out? Please help me understand how they will Do that!!! Thanks

Amazing the things people are comming up with and creating imagine what its going to be like in 20 years?salt water reactor based energy sites and hydro-electric cars (that the public can get for a good price).

it uses isoptopes of hydrogen from sea water right? now i know theres a lot of sea water but at one point there was a lot of oil...what happens if we use this power for thousands of years? then we get deserts instead of seas. what i dont understand is why they dont use a hydrogen engine to make energy then give off water, split the water into oxygen and hydrogen and reuse it...stil its a step forward