xisto Community
BordaForx

What Do You Do When You Can't Sleep At 3:00 In the morning?

What would you do if you can't sleep at 3:00? Right now, it's 3:00 in the morning, and I can't sleep. I'm supposed to do something at 6:00! Only 3 hours of sleep left, and I might not even be able to sleep! Give me advice, please.

That's the worst, when you can't sleep and all you can do is sort of countdown to when you are supposed to be waking up. They say that if you can't sleep, you should get out of bed and do something else for a while, just to train yourself not to worry while you are in bed. I read an article years ago about how the best way to fall asleep is to let yourself start to dream. I know that sounds crazy, and it's sort of hard to do if you have a lot on your mind. But what you do is you close your eyes and think of what you'd like to have a dream about. Let your mind go with it and don't let any other thoughts creep in there. I like to imagine something that's not too exciting, like a house- I walk from room to room and just look at everything. 90% of the time I'll get to sleep before I get to the kitchen. :P

haha! I had the same problem a week ago. School here just started and my body clock must have gotten used to my sleep-late-wake-up late policy of the last vacation.Anyways, if I can't sleep I usually drink water/milk and/or try to do a before-going-to-sleep peeing in the bathroom. If those still don't work then I watch TV or open my computer to do some things. :P

It's been a LONG time since I was up at 3 in the morning. Usually I would do one of several things - 1) Stay on the computer surfing the net. 2) Play on the PS2, 3) read until I sleep - or more likely a power nap. I do admit it's hard to do when you have a lot on your mind.

Ya. I finally slept at 4:00, and had to wake up at 6:00! But I got through it. Next time, I would try doing all the things you guys do. :rolleyes:

Doing something boring easily gets me to sleep. Just watch the clock continually and you soon get bored and tired. Sometimes getting up and running around can help, but it wakes everyone else up :rolleyes: Readings good as it helps you relax. I also read somewhere that thinking of something yellow also helps you sleep, as yellow is supposedly a calming colour. It also works after running a race to get your breath back or if you are nervous about something.

My List Of Things To Do When You Can't Sleep:1. Post on the Xisto forums2. Edit my Xisto site3. Play Runescape4. Play video games5. Watch t.v. until I fall asleep6. Try to sleepI hope my list helps you!

When I can't sleep I normally bother my girl or sometimes I grabbed and piece of paper and pen to jot some thoughts down. I think I get my best ideas in the middle of sleep and being awake. Sometimes I take a stroll at night.. especially if the sun is starting to show alil and just walk around in the garden and await the beginning of the new day. Some times I put the television on and grabbed some cookies and milk and watch cartoons.

When I cant sleep at that time (What is a rare occurence) I usally go read a book, try to fall a sleep or think about things I dont think about during the day. Or I go drink some water and try to sleep again ...

Yeah!! Playing a video game is probably the best thing to do. Or at least thats what I do. Although the problem with that is that you will probably reach six am and still be playing. The other thing you could do is do some photoshop tutorials or any other tutorial.

There are tons of thing that you could do to keep yourself occupied during the wee hours of the morning. But ask yourself this, do you really want to be awake at 3AM and them getting up at 2PM having missed most of the day? I highly recommend fixing up your schedule a bit and sleeping regular hours. Not just because of the health factor, but because it's just so much better to actually be awake when the sun's outside and be asleep when it's dark. You get a lot more out of the day. One of the main reasons is that your body naturally gets tired when it's dark and boring (but if you sleep all morning will be unable to pass out), but when it's light outside, you can have more energy, and actually have things to do.

Of course, if you have to and/or are going to stay up late for a particular reason from time to time I see no problem in that, but making a habbit of it is kind of pointless in my opinion. Just because there is nothing to do at 3AM in the morning. Not usually anyways.

So in conclusion,

Fix up your schedule,

Exercise lots (it'll burn you out and have you ready to pass out nicely right on time, but not in a bad way),

drink a warm glass of milk before going to sleep. It seems like a childish thing to do, but it actually works,

another thing that you might try, actually go and lie down on your bed and just lay there with your eyes closed. You'll toss around for about 30 minutes, but you'll eventually pass out.

There are tons of thing that you could do to keep yourself occupied during the wee hours of the morning. But ask yourself this, do you really want to be awake at 3AM and them getting up at 2PM having missed most of the day? I highly recommend fixing up your schedule a bit and sleeping regular hours. Not just because of the health factor, but because it's just so much better to actually be awake when the sun's outside and be asleep when it's dark. You get a lot more out of the day. One of the main reasons is that your body naturally gets tired when it's dark and boring (but if you sleep all morning will be unable to pass out), but when it's light outside, you can have more energy, and actually have things to do.

Of course, if you have to and/or are going to stay up late for a particular reason from time to time I see no problem in that, but making a habbit of it is kind of pointless in my opinion. Just because there is nothing to do at 3AM in the morning. Not usually anyways.

So in conclusion,

Fix up your schedule,

Exercise lots (it'll burn you out and have you ready to pass out nicely right on time, but not in a bad way),

drink a warm glass of milk before going to sleep. It seems like a childish thing to do, but it actually works,

another thing that you might try, actually go and lie down on your bed and just lay there with your eyes closed. You'll toss around for about 30 minutes, but you'll eventually pass out.

153660[/snapback]

Wow! Nice advice. :rolleyes: