xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kahat

What's Your Favorite Freeware Programs? Whats Your Favorite FREEWARE Programs?

FireFox - Best web browser on the 'net
Thunderbird - Email client by Mozilla (same people who make FireFox)

Spybot S&D - Spyware protection

Ad-Aware - Adware protection

AVG Free - Anti-virus

Notepad++ - Notepad on steroids... syntax highlighting, etc

Trillian Chat - AIM, ICQ, IRC, Yahoo!, and MSN messengers all in one program

WinRAR - Compression and uncompression (trial version.. but you can just click cancel when they ask for money...)

All these programs are essential to my daily computer usage, so I can't just pick one favorite...

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Learn to use bbcodes when just listing URLs without any original contribution.

here's a few of mine :)

Anti Virus: AVG (Free)Browser: Firefox
Chat: X-Chat
Codec: Combined Community Codec Pack
Compression: WinRar
EMail Client: Thunderbird
IDE: Eclipse
Issue Tracker: Jira
Messenger: Trillian, Y!M (Still use y!m for some compatibility issues..and still on my way migrating to GAIM)
Office: Open Office (though i still use MS from time to time to maintain compatibility with reciepients using MS)
Operating System: (on my way to Ubuntu)
Project Management / Build Tool: Maven2
Revision Control: Subversion (SVN)
Spyware Protection: Ad-Aware

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Learn to use bbcodes.

Easy Thumbs has been a life saver recently. I have been working with about 5000+ pictures and needed them all thumbnailed and until i found this little beuty i was doing it all manually. Really is a great peice of kit, simple but effective. You can get it at Fookes.

Also i have recently found a site for lots of freeware programs, it basically has databased lots of really useful programs and linked to them. Really simple site to use aswell. Here it is Digital Dark net

Edited by SNiped (see edit history)

My favourite freeware program is Windows XP really this is my favourite freeware program and I will keep using it. :)Also I would like to say that I prefer several more like NVU then GoogleEarth and some more. But these two are the greatest and not to forget Firefox And ThunderBird they rule.

My top 5 freeware programs:1. iTunes. Only for use with my iPod.2. Amarok. For those things that iTunes doesn't do.3. openssh.4. apache.5. firefox.

These are probably my top 5 favourite freeware programs. This list is going from most favourite to least favourite by the way (most-least vertically)1) Mozilla Firefox - Possibly the best internet browser ever. Very reliable, and customizable as well. Very nice interface too!2) iTunes - Great for adding songs in my iPOD.3) Limewire - Very efficient, and downloads songs at a rate that I perfer to be normal. :) 4) Internet Explorer - Just as customizable as firefox, but not good. This is just needed if Firefox is not working correctly, and is ticking me off! 5) Paint - To do any kind of art during my spare time such as recoloring. Also, I try my best to attempt making shades with this, but doesn't always go too well.

I also think that almost everyone with internet has some sort of freeware program. Like most people, once it's free i'm free to try it. Some of my favorite freeware programs are filezilla, limewire, mozilla, windows live messenger and the real player. There are many other i have, but these i mainly use.

The best freeware for me is Spybot - Search & Destroy????[/tab]????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????  
This program can detect and remove a multitude of adware-spyware files and modules from your computer.

Spybot also can cleans your browser, which is especially useful if you share your computer. It's gives you the possibility to make full system scan, and delete directly files with problems.

For advanced users, it allows you to fix Registry problems related to adware and to malicious program installations.

It includes and update feature that ensures Spybot always has the most current and complete listings of adware and spyware.

Version 1.6 is last version

Homepage

greetings, shotgun. ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????  
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????[tab]   

Edited by shotgun (see edit history)

For me,VLC media player, and KLC codecs for Multimedia.Ashampoo firewall, its very light and using very small resources in my pc,and Avira Antivirus personal to protect my pc from viruses.Avira is also very good and using low system resources.and AdAware for spyware cleaning.Power defragmenter for my system performance.

Lets see....Firefox, gParted, Audacity, Songbird, Amarok, Rosegarden, VLC, Handbrake, Schoolhouse, OpenOffice, Nexuiz, Scribus, SciTE, phpBB, Wordpress MU, Gimp, Metamorphose, 7-zip, Spybot S&D, Clamwin, to name a few on the top of my head.Sourceforge all the way, baby! I love using open source stuff (though some of these aren't open source). I am always looking for a free and less bloated alternative.

I always use VLC, Mozilla Firefox, and Open Office instead of their retarded Windows counterparts.Go Richard Stallman! I love you for making the copyleft!

GIMP, MSN Messenger, Skype and Opera are among my favourites. I love surfing the CNET downloads site for software too. Most importantly is that its truly a well developed software with a commited development team to back their software faliure and improvements. Also, the possiblility of virus has to be considered, before downloading a software that destroys your computer. Cheers.