xisto Community
Becca

Layout Stealers I really HATE them

Poor Becca! Is she from Xisto? I was thinking maybe after she read this thread she decided to go on hiatus. You think she's from here?! You do make good layouts that's why they keep getting stolen. :P

they cant steal your source or copy using ctrl v either!

148216[/snapback]

Just a heads up...the keys to copy is ctrl+c, not ctrl+v. :D

Poor Becca!  Is she from Xisto?  I was thinking maybe after she read this thread she decided to go on hiatus.  You think she's from here?! 

You do make good layouts that's why they keep getting stolen.  :P

148405[/snapback]

Becca would be from Xisto, yes. She is also one of the first members at Xisto. I may be wrong about the latter because I'm only judging by the number of posts that she has and not the date that she joined Xisto (too lazy to look).

I'd also like to agree with moonwitch on becca's layout - the width needs to be bigger.

Also, change the title of your page, becca, if it's not gonna be "temporary dirt". You've had that name since forever.

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

Becca would be from Xisto, yes. She is also one of the first members at Xisto. I may be wrong about the latter because I'm only judging by the number of posts that she has and not the date that she joined Xisto (too lazy to look).

148408[/snapback]

I think he was referring to the stealer, not becca. :P since becca -did- start this topic, it would be kind of dumb to ask if becca was from Xisto :D

Well, I think we'll never know if the stealer is/was from Xisto.. If I were her I'd run far, far away and bury myself in a ditch and rot there...

You never get enough surprised of how people copy things without asking permission, without giving thanks, without crediting anything... it?s like they think websites are made alone and because of that everyone can copy and paste it.Most of us started copying things... and some still do it just to test them or for at least understand the codes and try to make some changes but upload your website with an entire copied layout... errrr, is not too clever.

I agree, it does get annoying when people copy layouts exactly (aka steal). There is nothing you can do about it. Using the disable right click does nothing to protect your site (using file > save as... overwrites the right-click).We just have to make sure to put little watermarks on the likes of our images.

*sigh* if you don't want people to steal your layouts, heres what you should do:1. Make your layouts hard and complicated so that people can't just copy off it2. If people have internet explorer and can just click "edit with note pad" and steal your codes, make your picutes have your logo or something had to erase that stands out3. If you use PHP, what I do is seperate all the codes on to different files, using headers and footersi hope this helps

I think he was referring to the stealer, not becca. :( since becca -did- start this topic, it would be kind of dumb to ask if becca was from Xisto :P

148416[/snapback]

Haha my bad. Misleading modifiers are pretty funny when interpreted the wrong way. :P

You never get enough surprised of how people copy things without asking permission, without giving thanks, without crediting anything... it´s like they think websites are made alone and because of that everyone can copy and paste it.

148438[/snapback]

Yeah. That happens a lot at this forum when newbies and hosting credit-deficient people try to gain credits by copying some article from the internet. Fortunately, those people are denied hosting or end up losing their account if they already have one. It all comes back on you if you try to steal other people's work.

copyright it?!!!!!!!!!

148523[/snapback]

Umm, no. You would have to go through a bunch of processes ad fill out loads of forms and such. It's all a headache for one layout.

Putting a copyright symbol © doesn't work either. It's not really copyrighted until you have documented proof from the government.

*sigh* if you don't want people to steal your layouts, heres what you should do:

1. Make your layouts hard and complicated so that people can't just copy off it

2. If people have internet explorer and can just click "edit with note pad" and steal your codes, make your picutes have your logo or something had to erase that stands out

3. If you use PHP, what I do is seperate all the codes on to different files, using headers and footers

i hope this helps

150750[/snapback]

1. Good idea, but people can just adapt to your layout, right?

2. Watermarking is always a good idea because people can just go to the URL displayed on the watermark. You can even use PHP so that all your pictures are watermarked on-the-fly, so you don't have to spend time in graphics softwares.

3. Kinda useless because HTML code is shown anyways. What I mean is that if you use headers and footers, their HTML codes are always rendered after the server takes care of them. Look at my site: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. I use headers and footers, but if you look at the source code, you'll see the complete source code. See what I mean?

Edit: Fixed my spelling error: defient -> deficient

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

Someone stola a layout I paid for, for my site. It cost about a good $50 but the person not only stole the layout and the extras but then name their site the name of mines. The only changed was URL. One of my friends told me that he was already on a site named that and I was like huh? he gave me the link and I saw it for myself. I was so pissed. But it really wasn't nothing I could do.

Copyright laws are not as simple as people think. All the work that we do is automatically copyrighted. It is because we have made it and it is our own work. Only when a disclaimer is put with it can the copyright come into effect. The disclaimer explains the prohibitations behind the copyright. However, this means nothing to people who steal.If you have a copyright notice but no disclaimer, then there is nothing you can technically do about it.In the modern day, you do not need documents from the government, after all it is your work so why should it. However, documentation of acknowledgement of copyright notices and disclaimer issues is a good idea to prove that it is your site (although there is a way of getting around it).There should be a clever person somewhere that develops a new system of anti-theft. Maybe some kind of script that searches the Internet for similarities and then reports the findings back to the user. Also, new and more clear laws should be passed on the Data something or other Act.

My advice is to NOT copyright it. Who cares about the people who say it is they're work. You made it right? You should be proud, they liked it. Also, if you want to copyright something, don't, unless you start a business. That's the only time you should copyright something.

My advice is to NOT copyright it. Who cares about the people who say it is they're work. You made it right? You should be proud, they liked it.

Also, if you want to copyright something, don't, unless you start a business. That's the only time you should copyright something.

150961[/snapback]

I disagree i think you should copyright thinks if you take pride un your work. But i also think that you should deal correctly with people who want to and do copy your script. Ask them to pay for it, help them build thier wbsite the way they want it and... ask money for it. After all if someone wants it, its sellable.

If they don;t cooperate then get a no pay no cure lawyer and sue them. better to get something out of it rather than just having the website shut down.

Here is a question, when you click view source in a browser does it show how the page is layed out now or does it show the text that was sent to the browser from the website. If it is the latter you could load the page scrambled and then lay the page out after it loads via java script. You could even have it load with a copy right notice and disclaimer then have the javascript replace that with the content you want. If you had your own javascript functions to render the page then you don?t have to display any of the markup at all and it should be very difficult for people to copy.