xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Inspiron

Dell Is First To Offer 500gb Hard Drives In Desktops Its DELL again...

I'm wondering how long does it take to defrag that thing? My laptop takes about 45 min and it is a total of 7 gigs. If I don't do it every month, it takes over an hour. Of course, the processor speed is very slow compared to today's newer cpu's, but still, it is probably relative to the disk size.Does anyone here have one of these 500 gigs HDDs?

I can see myself using something like that... because between my computers, I've got a lot of stuff saved up. I've got 40 gigs on the home computer, with about 30 gigs used. I have another 40 gigs on my laptop... and it's only got about 35 gigs used... I had to go out and buy an external hard drive, because it got full... It was 80 gigs, and I figured there was no way I could fill that! But low and behold, it's full too. I'm going to have to buy another one soon I think. I think I'd rather buy more externals than a 'super-computer' though. I don't know. It's probably cheaper this way. Specially since I got my 80 gig hard-drive for $200, and there were many cheaper ones out there.

huh...it is too huge but it would not lure me to get one or enlarge current disk capacity.because as a desktop pc,200Gb is enough to hold anything you like.just like what jlhaslip said,if need to check disk,defrag will take a boring long time...however,we should convince that dell is so outstanding in computer development field,big disk must advance big ram to promote later...

Well I think Dell has made such improvements to become one of the most powerful machine makers, there will definately be buyers for such high specifications, whether or not it's 4gb RAM or 500gb harddisk. People working in NASA probably find such machines useful for speedy calculations. The movie makers in Hollywood also will thank Dell for such products.Anyway I've read an article sometime ago that the animated movie, Toys, made used of 2tb (terabytes) of harddisk space to store the entire movie. That doesn't include the softwares and tools that made the movie.. So why not? Dell will still grow, definately..!

I just think that people who *need* that much space can surely build their own computer to their own specification, or have the knowledge to pay someone a small fee to put it together. Dell's components usually are cheap, and no matter what or how many options they give you, most likely there's not the exact parts you want.My friend just bought a top of the line Dell though, and he was quite happy with it. Cost a bundle :P, but at least he's got the warranty if anything goes haywire :)