xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gorgeouscreature

Can You Go Back To High School? at 34....?

reply to gorgeouscreature

Can You Go Back To High School?

Hi - I'm in Australia, so I'm not sure if things are different over here, but the school I went to in my senior years (St Marys Selective Senior High) allowed students of any age to attend, as long as they were committed to learning. The selection criteria was based more on enthusiasm and participation than grades, and the core focus at the school was encouraging a more mature learning environment, teachers were considered 'peers', first-name basis, etc. Flexibility in terms of break times and organising alternative classes around work if you had to.

But yes, I had a 48 year old in my math class! Yes, the majority of students were of the usual age, but the atmosphere was so accepting of everyone, and it was more like attending uni than high school.

You should seek out institutions like this, because it's a brilliant experience if you're in the right environment.

Am I being stressed or depressed?Can You Go Back To High School?

I've always wondered to myself what has been my problem. For some reason I can sense when I'm going to fail. I don't know if I just don't believe in myself just as much and I set myself up to fail or how it is. I'm 19 and I'm going to be in high school for my 6th yr. I always first start up to be strong but I end up feeling lazy and just end up bring myself down and dropping out. I am a little over weight and I see myself being the worst daughter sometimes which hurts me the most. I work part time. I'm a good worker. I work hard. But for some reason I don't tend to do that with school. I don't know if my job is getting in my way or what. I want to go to college and being someone very important.. Soo I don't know whats stopping me really... I get depressed very easliy. I get kicked out of schools because of my attendance only. Other than that I'm a great student I do my homework and classwork. I have a good social life. I'm very friendly and always carry a smile upon myself. Noone would image how bad I feel inside. I think I should go see someone but I don't know.

-reply by Marilyn

SUGGESTION BY ADMIN: 

Sort the problems and things bugging you right now on paper.

Choose Work over School only if it gives you a lot of opportunity to learn new things regularly :-) else focusing harder on School is a wiser option.

In Australia there are courses that give you a high school diploma/senior certificate through TAFE/collegeand 'adult education centers'.It's not high school, but it gives you the equivalent qualifications

For all those who don't understand WHY we want to go back to high school, how could you know? Every person thinks for themselves. I too wish with all of me, that I could graduate from high school, and go to my senior prom. It's something that we will never get back. It leaves an emptiness in you, and will never go away.

I will ALWAYS regret not finishing. I left half way through my senior year, moving in with my dad due to a fight with my mother and newly acquired step-dad, only to end up pregnant at 17. I had gone to enroll into the high school where my dad lives, but they refused to enroll me due to an earring they didn't approve of. So because of that principal, I quit, and my always having my back, agreed with me.

As far as going to college... I went to a trade college for Medical Assisting. I graduated with honors for carrying a 4.0. I did my externship and everything. 2 and a half years later, I'm working in an un-airconditioned warehouse working with refurbished cell phones. And did I mention I'm no longer a licensed M.A. It expired, and now I'm left with $14,000 in student loans, which one has already defaulted and gone to a collection agency. I can't afford to pay these loans back, much less take care of my 3 year old. I have a car that has over 256k miles and I'm living in an extended stay hotel.

So ask me again, why I wish I could go back to high school and finish what I started...

I would in a heart beat...

going back to school.Can You Go Back To High School?

cani go back to highschool at age 44 to set a good example for my teenage son? 

-reply by betty lewis

High school diploma or GEDCan You Go Back To High School?

There are so many reasons why people leave high school. I was a "A" honoroll students, joined "AP" classes, pretty much a all around student. One of my major issues that I faced was depression. I was also faced with peer pressure. I was transfered to another school based on rezoning and it was nothing I expected. It was hell. I couldn't take it anymore so I decided to get my GED and go to college.I didn't gaved up. Trust me I would have stayed in school to get my high school diploma but transprtation was rough for me to get to another school. Never ever say never. You will never know how things will become. I would have never thought I would have dropped out of high school but I did. I am doing well though. Your high school diploma and GED is great but what matters is a College Degree, trust me. Never ever put down a GED because it means you still care about your education and you have potential. A GED is equivalent to a high school diploma.

-reply by angel

it's a waste of time,society is a good room to study more important than school,and we just have our own life,the time of lives is not so long,just so many years,we'd enjoy it.

It is never a waste of time when you want to get a good education. There are people with all kinds of different circumstances for not having finished High School. Sickness, financial and so forth. If I could go back and start over in the 7th grade, I would be a much better educated person. I am all for finding out how to get more knowledge. Check out Adult classes in your town. The local community colleges would be a great place to start. Don't worry about where your diploma comes from because there are MANY home schooled children. Just get it done. You will be a happier person for it. My mother finished her GED at the age of 50. Her 2 brothers just finished theirs at ages 60 and 57. They are so happy just to know they did it. You will be too. Best of luck.

Maybe you should consider online high school options. I'm kind of in the same boat. I am 37 y/o. I dropped out midyear of my senior year. Still can't really figure out what was going through my head at the time. One day the air in my head just got too hot and I just got stuck on stupid. Over the years I had been able to fake it. Worked my up into managing restaurants and even worked my way into a position of National director for and insurance claims management firm but it was inevitable that I would eventually get found out which I did. Now I am a 37 y/o truck driver and I have tons of time while I drive to reflect on what my life has come to. I've found several online high schools that will allow me to get my diploma while on the road. Unfortunately my lifestyle matched my corporate level income so I'm not able to stop working to go to school but this may be an option for you as well. Be sure to check the accreditation of the school to be sure that your diploma will be accepted by your higher education choice (college, university, tech......).

Penn foster high school offers programs and if you Google them you'll get plenty of other results to check out as well.

Life's not short. Infact, it the longest thing you will ever experience before you die. If getting your diploma makes you happy, its a milestone to higher education~ so go for it!

it's a waste of time,society is a good room to study more important than school,and we just have our own life,the time of lives is not so long,just so many years,we'd enjoy it.

You are only allowed into high school in the U.S. until you are 21.

Once you're over that you must go to an adult high school and finish it there.

From what I've heard adult high school finishes a lot faster than regular.

I have a question for you though; do you plan to go to college? If so, you might have a hard time getting into an even decent one.

In some states this is not TRUE. The Government states everyone in entitled to an education. My wife whet back to high in Ohio at the age of 37. She attended regular classes like everyone else. An graduated and got her high school diploma. And the state even paid for all her fees and books. But here in Florida a different story. They say no student left behind. But if you quit your left out and FORGET it. :(

In most parts of the world, getting into high schools is competitive and for a dropout to get back into high school is as tough as it gets, unless there is some kind of accomplishment that one can show for the time out of school. For people who get into their adulthood, there are a whole different category of schools that focus on adult education. They are not very common because once people get into adulthood, they are unlikely to want to go back to finish their high school education because of all of their life commitments, including work and family and just about everything else that happens in our lives. The recession was an opportunity for some people to get an education because when they were out of work and there were absolutely no opportunities, the best that they could do was life off food stamps and seek out an education so when the recession ended, they could end up getting better jobs or at least it would make them more competitive to seek out jobs and fit in to the work place.